Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Las Vegas Kanikapila Rapidly Aproaching
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  05:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
April 22 and the Great Las Vegas Kanikapila is just a little over 3 weeks away. So far we have about 10 guitar players, some very special guest players, plus wives and friends attending.

The invitation to Taro Patcher's is if you are in the area please come on by.

If you will be staying in a hotel book one now. The ones close to my home are already booked for that weekend. My home is in Henderson about 15 miles from the Las Vegas strip. Please e-mail and let us know you are planning on attending and I'll send directions and times back to you.

Edited by - Ianui on 03/27/2006 05:10:49 AM

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  12:41:57 PM  Show Profile
We'll be there....so far Brudda Ken, PuaKai, C-Monk & Mary, Dusty & Sheila...me. Sorry, can't bring Zoom, he'd love the BBQ stuff.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

steelguitar
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  08:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all. Well it looks like I picked a great time to end my self imposed picking sabbatical (long story). Having relocated from Pua Kai/Nancy's neck of the woods to Las Vegas/Henderson, I find myself living a couple of blocks down the street from Ianui here. I'll get in touch with Don and see if there's room for a couple misplaced notes & an occasional winner. I better start polishing up the act right now.
Looking forward to seeing everybody, Jeff Watson
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  08:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Welcome back, Jeff! I'm sure your steel will be a welcome addition to the kanikapila.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  11:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Hey Jeff

Bring yourself right on down with all the notes misplaced or not. Don't know if you still have my home address. Call me 702-270-2807.

I am tickled pink you made the move and look forward to seeing you.

Come over anytime. I have a steel and maybe we can practice a duet for Saturday.

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  2:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Yay!!!
I've been wondering what the heck happened to you!! Welcome back and am looking forward to seeing you at Don's!!! Do stop by here if you get back this way too!!
aloha!
n
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  02:19:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
I cannot tell you what a special time we had at Don and Linda's on Saturday!! Where to start - Terry and Mary (Chunky Monkey) were there when I arrived. Driving to LV is a piece of cake when you leave LA at 0600. Soon the burgers were on for lunch, so of course Rik and Ken arrived in time to eat. Jeff Watson arrived about that time with a nice variety of his lap steels, and it was good to see him. Not long after, Dusty and Sheila blew in. It was important to hang onto your burger and plate...
Don and Terry had assembled a big array of mics, amps, speakers and cables - all of which we used. And Don had a number of local artists stop by to give us nice shows. Uncle Paul was there, the publisher of the local Hawai`i newspaper. I'm hoping someone who has a better memory than mine will step in here.
Don played some really nahenahe music - sounds like he's been practicing. Folks played solos, folks played various songs, folks tried to sing - Mary and Terry really sound terrific! Who knew?
And then along came the dinner spread from a local Hawai`ian restaurant!! Yummmmmy!!! We had kalua pork, teri aki beef, special chicken, and of course macaroni salad and rice. They have a lovely new home, so inviting and comfortable, complete with 2 fountains and plenty of places to stash our gig bags etc. If we're lucky, this just may become an annual event so some of you who did't make it this time might show next time.
Mahalo nui loa to Don and Linda for all their hospitality (and for putting me up!)
n
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  06:16:58 AM  Show Profile
Ditto. Muchas Mahalos to Don and Linda for putting this together. Also thanks to Dusty & Sheila, Rik and Ken and Nancy for slogging up from the South. We wimped out and flew. Uncle Paul is Paul Natto , a fixture in the Hawaiian community in Las Vegas. Used to play with George Benson. Still has the smooth jazz chops. Thanks to Uncle Paul for all the audio gear. More to follow when I download the pics.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  05:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo to Don and Linda and to all who attended!

Click for Pix

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  07:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hey steelguitar!
What guitar are you playing in the photos?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  08:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Hey Dusty!!
Thanks for the pix - however, I don't believe that last one is Paul. His name is Joe somebody or other..... Don can straighten us out.
n
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  08:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

Hey Dusty!!
Thanks for the pix - however, I don't believe that last one is Paul. His name is Joe somebody or other..... Don can straighten us out.
n

His name is Joe Basie Basie and he has played at The Imperial Palace Hawaiian Review for the past 16 years.

Thank you all for coming. It was so good to see you and hear some good slack key music. Includeing a few neighbors there were 24 in attendance.

I can't wait until next year when we'll do it bigger.

When the video is ready I'll post it and some of the songs played for all to hear.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile
Joe Basie Basie was a hit. Lots of island tunes and did every Hawaiian song, hapa ha`ole and traditional, that we requested. An interesting guy. Playing an early Rainsong with no soundhole and two humbuckers. Very Gibson sound. He told me last year he bought (and sometimes sold) 35 guitars. Talk about GAS! Apparently has one of everything. The Imperial Palace must pay well. If you're in Vegas, catch his act.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  11:07:02 AM  Show Profile
OK, no Paul, Joe.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

steelguitar
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  09:41:14 AM  Show Profile
I can't thank you all enough for letting me crash your party, especially Don & Linda. I'm sure I must have crossed some proper kanikapila etiquette line and there were lots of others who should have been playing in my place. Please forgive my gluttony after a long abstinence. Again, thank you.

Hey Jesse, the guitar in the picture is a K&S Weissenborn, tuned to G and/or D. I also had an Island Koa Weissenborn tuned to C and/or F, a Johnson tricone tuned to A6, and my 7 string Rickenbacher in A6.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  3:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Its amazing the depth a steel adds to the music especially when it played by someone as talented as Jeff.

So Jeff when we getting together again? If we start now I may be able to learn a new song by the time the next one comes along.

Edited by - Ianui on 04/29/2006 3:57:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000