Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 slack key books
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kanae
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this message, but I was wondering if anyone could help me find some out-of-print slack key books. I am looking for the Ray Kane and Hapa ones. Are there any good places to look in LA/Oahu/online? Any info would be very much appreciated!

Mahalos,
kanae

MiBo
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  12:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Kanae,

First place to answer the question, "Where can I find x about Hawaiian music?" is http://www.mele.com/

This includes slack key books.

I've heard of the Ray Kane book, never seen it. He did a video, and it came with an offer for a slack key pamphlet. I sent away for it, and after many months it arrived. Maye this is the one?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  09:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Contact the Kane's directly to see if they have any more books. I understand the plates may have been lost and they cannot print any new ones, but it's worth checking. I also think there are some people trying to figure out how to get these in print again. Not sure how that process is going, though.

Contact Uncle Ray and Auntie Elodia Kane
89-103 Haleakala Ave
Waianae, HI 96792-4005
808-668-8682

Regarding the Hapa book, Keith Sakaguchi of Power Chord Music shut down so it's going to be very hard to find. I have not been looking but have not seen any surface at all in the last couple of years. I do not know how many were pressed but my guess is that there are not that many out there.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  1:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm one of the people who put some effort into trying to get Ray's book into print again. The author and copyright holder isn't sure what she wants to do at the moment, but she has been contacted by several other people about it, including Dancing Cat. I have decided not to pursue it further, but am instead talking with the Kanes about produce a new book, possibly based on their video. Since I'll be doing this in addition to working a full time job, it will be a long-term project.

In the meantime, I do know that the Kanes don't have any more copies of the book, that the plates were destroyed, and that they can't make copies because they aren't the copyright holders. In other words, the only way you can get a copy of the book is to find a used one.

Craig

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

kanae
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  10:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
Thanks everyone for the info! I really appreciate it. I hope the Kane's decide to do another book. Uncle Ray is one of my favorite slack key players. Does anyone have the book? I am just wondering if it is good, and if it is difficult. I have been learning for less than a year now, and I thought it would be impossible to find music. I only wish it were easier to get lessons on the mainland. Does anyone have general practicing tips? Right now I try to memorize songs before anything else, but I probably don't practice enough everyday to improve much.
Great site, btw!

Mahalos & Alohas,
Kanae
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  1:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Where do you live? There may be contacts nearby.

When I needed some lessons early on, I cantacted a teacher, aranged for a long chunck of time, and commuted. Took seven months to pay off the credit card, but it was worth every dime. ---- And airfares have never been cheaper, both on the mainland and to Hawaii'i Nei.

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  8:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Memorizing the song helps, although you really only need to know the parts you're working on. Take it one or two measures at a time, start at a slow tempo (use a metronome) and work your way up, and try learning the song backwards (last measure first)...that way you're practicing the new measures first then moving into the ones you know already. Start with Ozzie's book, and don't worry about how much you practice (practice as much as you can though)...just enjoy the time you spend playing!

There's at least one thread on this forum that offers practice tips, some of which appear in my list above.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/15/2002 8:19:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

kanae
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  11:42:55 PM  Show Profile

Thanks Raymond & Craig!
You're right, I should've checked old threads for information first... I finally did today and there's some great advice out there. Also, I'm in LA, I'm guessing there's a lot more teachers out here than, say, on the East Coast. And yet I may be the lazy type and not always with a car. Anyway, thanks again, you guys are great.
Also, I'm sure you have heard of Bla Pahinui? I just bought his "Mana" CD and it's awesome. Not to mention the fact that he plays left-handed on a right handed guitar... I just thought I'd mention it because he is a great inspiration!

Mahalo nui loa,
Kanae
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000