Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Picking 5 or 6 string uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

parotatch
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  5:17:05 PM  Show Profile
The main purpose of the 5 or 6 string uke I assume is to get more fullness and volume from strumming chords. I found that it's not easy to pick a "doubled string". Have any of you had success in picking those "doubled strings"? With the 5-string uke, you have to worry only about the "C" string because the rest of the strings are single :-)

I have a Kamaka tenor (1960's). I am leaning toward building or getting a 5-string uke. I am too lazy to tune up a 6 strings but am willing to tune a 5th :-)

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the Lili'u or 6 string 'ukulele was primarily meant for musicians who needed more volume when playing solo for events such as hula groups (no amplification in the old days). I've been told that due to the varying spacing, the 6 string 'ukes are not recommended for picking. While it is "easier" to work with an 8 string, I still don't see many people attempting it. If your fingerwork is EXTREMELY precise, you might be able to effectively pick a 6 string. Otherwise, it's better to go with a standard 4 string.

Aloha,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:31:46 AM  Show Profile
Go see Daniel and Herb to see how it's done... Locally Doug is sounding mighty fine too.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:38:39 AM  Show Profile
I have both a low G 4-string tenor ukulele (KoAloha) and a six-string D-VI Tenor size ukulele (KoAloha). My six-string is set-up like a small guitar (no doubled strings). It sounds nice and is easy to pick either ukulele. I play some fingerstyle songs on both instruments. I also play ki ho'alu on two full sized guitars and find some subtle differences.

Besides the obvious difference in string types (steel versus nylon and cloroflurocarbon, there are some other differences. If you can play (fingerstyle) guitar above the fifth fret, you can play the same on a tenor size ukulele. I had a soprano ukulele and found my fingers too large to play fingerstyle nicely (so I gave the instrument to my Mom who has much smaller hands).

A big difference I noticed on the ukuleles is that since the string scale is so much shorter, the string sustain is also shorter. Some of the ki ho'alu sound due to still ringing sympathetic vibration strings is minimized but then the melody line can come out much cleaner without the background strings. I find I generally play with a faster tempo on the ukulele to keep "filling in" the sound. The guitars tend to ring and will fill in the sound on a slower tempo. Then again, a quick few strums on the guitar and I'm into the white noise range. Doing the same thing on the ukulele fills in the vaccuum.

The real beauty is in having created the environment where I can play around on all the instruments and experiemnt with the same song on all four. Some songs sound better on one instrument. Some songs need to be played differently on different instruments before I feel they sound good. [but then I tend to annoy everyone else in the house having to listen to my practice/tinkering]

Now add in the special effects I can pump in with an acoustic amplifier and the range of noise is almost endless. My "little" six-string ukulele can pump out lots of volume.

You should check out the KoAloha D-VI:
http://www.koalohaukulele.com/KoAloha_Products/KoAloha_DVI.htm

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  09:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I love to fingerpick on my six string `ukulele. It's a Lili`u -style, with octaves on the C and A (in other words, there's a double course on the A with one string an octave lower than you'd expect, and a double course on the C with one string an octave higher.)

It's really no different than playing a 12 string guitar. The octave strings can really lend a cool sound to fingerpicked melodies. If you play slack key style, you can turn the sound inside out by playing the alternating bass on the high G string and the melody on the low A. Weird fun!

I also like to use the doubled A strings to play leads up the neck -- sorta a poor man's Wes Montgomery.

I recorded a song with this uke for the CD for my "Learn to Paly Finger Style `Ukulele" book, which should be out later this month on Mel Bay.

Happy picking!

Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  11:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Since I started to build traditional 6-stringed ukes, I've been playing them a lot more. It took some getting used to, but a lot of songs sound really 'neat'(for lack of a better word). Having the high and low octaves on the 'c' and 'a' courses adds an extra dimension to the sound and makes a mediocre player like me sound a lot better.

I would say go with a 6-string, if you're looking for something more than a 4.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000