Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Bigs & Littles - James Hill
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  8:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Tonight I posted Bigs & Littles, another composition from James Hill. According to James this was the first original piece he wrote for the ukulele.

Learning the arrangement will definitely improve your strumming and chording techniques. The piece—which is sort of classical and sort of new age in feel—is built around a rapid-fire pattern of primarily alternating dual voices that fit within a series of full melodic chords. Be sure to check out the “Performance Notes” at the end of the transcription for information on how James approaches the Em chord at measure 42.

Speaking of chords........James confirmed a few of the chord names but many of them I took my best guess.

Some of the chord stretches can be pretty challenging as well and folks with smaller hands might do better on a concert or even a soprano ukulele.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  11:12:10 PM  Show Profile
Dominator,

I'm just curious. On average, how long does it take you to figure out and transcribe a song? I know it varies based on the difficuly of the piece, but I imagine even a simple song must consume a lot of time.
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  08:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
KoAloha,
That is a tough one to answer. It really does vary depending on the complexity of the tune. But even the easiest of tunes can take 3 or 4 hours to get into the tab program after I have figured out how to play it. I've spent a few hours in the evening each day for 2 or sometimes 3 weeks for some of the more difficult stuff. It really is time consuming. That's also why many times updates to the site come in waves. Nothing for a month or so and then maybe 2 or 3 new tabs. Just depends. Sometimes I just have to get away from it or I start going crazy.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  3:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, thanks for all the hours invested. A lot of the songs you have on your site are way above my head and I would never be able to play them without the tabs. Actually, some of them are hard for me, even with the tabs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000