Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 guitar supports, armrests
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  05:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Can I get some input on your favorite guitar supports? I've tried everything from a footstool to an a-frame to a cushion to an ergoplay. Does anyone use the Neckup device? I've heard good things about that.

Also, does anyone have an armrest on their guitar? Thoughts on those?

Thanks!

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  05:46:56 AM  Show Profile
I just installed my second armrest. I have two guitars I am playing regularly and now both have the John Pearse Armrest on them. It keeps the sharp edge from cutting into my forearm and also allows the guitar top to vibrate freely. Over 50% of the guitars I saw this weekend had the armrests installed. A very worthwhile accessory in my opinion!

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  06:16:30 AM  Show Profile
Darin,

John Keawe uses a "neck-up" and likes it. I know a few people on this board who also use it - they'll probably report. I have/had (I can't find it) one but it doesn't work for me. It keeps sliding off of my leg and the suction cup keeps twisting out of position. So, I would advise you to try one before you buy. I bet Andy has one salted away somewhere.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  10:37:25 AM  Show Profile
I used to use a Neck-Up, and still do sometimes. It takes some fiddling to get the proper adjustment, and it may not be possible to get the adjustment you like. The design problem is that the adjustment controls 2 variables at the same time: guitar angle and guitar horizontal position. So, if you want it at a higher angle, it also shifts left. The only sliding problem I had was when I was sitting in a chair that was tall and my legs sloped down.

Both Sarah and I found that the adjustable metal footrest, and the "classical" position works best for us. I even use it with a `uke so that my right arm doesn't mute the sound.

The armrest thing depends on how you hold the guitar. If you use the "classical" position, your right arm merely grazes the edge of the lower bass bout and top damping or arm hurting is not a problem. Most of the time Sarah's right arm is competely free of the guitar as she likes to move her hand up and down the strings to change the tone appropriately.

Ben Verdery at Yale (and concert performer)uses a wild device that is constructed of 2 long parallel aluminum rods, suction cups and leather straps. He plays the guitar with the neck-body join right under his nose. Of course, he never looks at either hand and mostly closes his eyes unless he is looking at a musical score.

...Reid

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  10:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I got a Neck-up a couple years back when I was having rotator cuff problems and found it helped a lot. I'd probably use it all the time, except that I always have two instruments along when I play out--and my shoulders stopped hurting anyway--so I stopped using it, though I do keep it handy just in case of a relapse.

I put a John Pearse armrest on one of my guitars, but despite many enthusiastic reports, I haven't heard any difference in the sound of that instrument. I suspect that my playing position doesn't warrant it. Looks pretty cool, though.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  07:58:20 AM  Show Profile
I've used the John Pearse armrests for a few years and I like them. Be advised - if you're thinking of trading your guitar, some dealers won't deal if the guitar has been modified. Buffalo Brothers made me remove the armrest from a guitar and verify that it left no "impression" on the finish, before they'd even talk about a trade. The good news is that I removed it and it came off ok.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  11:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
How does one install one of these armrests?

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  12:45:54 PM  Show Profile
The armrests are installed c/o "Peel & stick" adhesive already attached. Advertised as permanent. My instructor removes his by heating with a hair dryer and cleaning the residue with naptha (lighter fluid). You supposedly get one chance to install them, so make sure it's in the proper position. I verified the location with blue masking tape.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  5:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I've found that a frozen beaver works very nicely. At least in winter. Outside. With a light breeze.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  11:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Geez, guys, i was only kidding!
I sure knowhow to kill a topic!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  3:50:22 PM  Show Profile
I tried a bunch of different things and always ended up going for the litle black cusion. It comes in 3 sizes so you have to try before you buy. If keeps the guitar at right hight and angle. Also lets me keep both feet flat on floor which is better for the spine/back nerves, an issue with me. It is very stabile - like it sits there on its own.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  6:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

I tried a bunch of different things and always ended up going for the litle black cusion. It comes in 3 sizes so you have to try before you buy. If keeps the guitar at right hight and angle. Also lets me keep both feet flat on floor which is better for the spine/back nerves, an issue with me. It is very stabile - like it sits there on its own.

Raymond, what is the "little black cushion"? I probably missed it somewhere and I apologize if I am asking something without researching the topic but the cushion sounds like it would be great for my and my classical.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  10:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
sounds like a frozen beaver to me

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Karl, you gonna kill it again?!
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  1:31:17 PM  Show Profile
Item is called "Dynarette." I've seen it at most places I've checked that handle good classical guitars. Not very expensive. I like it so much that I've given them out to friends as Christmas presents. I think Richard at Strings By Mail used to sell them through his websight.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  09:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Sandy,
Well, it ain;t dead yet, but I bet I won;t be on raymond's christmas list for a dynarette of my own.
Actually i got a neat little firmly overstuffed pillow for christmas that has not yer found a use; perhaps i should try it out, you know, give the beaver a rest.
Ooooh, no pun intended

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000