Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 case repair
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  09:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Got a new (used) guitar (another 1998 SPD-16R) which came with its original, standard Martin black molded case. The two straps that keep the case from flopping open were both loose from the lid-side of the case. They look like nylon webbing. Any ideas on what adhesive will work with both the strap and the inside of the plastic case? LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  09:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Weld the suckers!
Most of that webbing is nylon, and fairly fine mesh at that. Perhaps a good contact cement like Weldwood would work..you know, the really good toxic stuff. A thick coat on each surface, let sit until just tacky, then press together....if yo have not used the stuff before, you need to position the pieces perfectly before bonding, because they will not come apart once in contact.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  12:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks for the suggestion, Karl. I'll give Weldwood contact cement a try and report back. LRR

Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  11:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Karl: I think the Weldwood may have worked. At first I thought not, because it was nearly impossible to place the glue behind the internal plush shell (made of styrofoam) and then place the strap behind there in the right spot, but I think it finally caught. Case seems to be working now. Thanks for the tip. LRR

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  09:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
YOu mean it didn't melt the styrofoam after all? Cool, now i can try it on mine :)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  10:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Just let me know if you need me to do any other experiments that you're curious about. I could try pouring nail polish remover on the finish . . .

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  10:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Leonard,
I was onlyu kidding on the weldwood experiment, but, i do have an ovation 12 string i have often thought about making into a resonator.If you care to give that a try on yours or anyone elses, let me know how it works out:)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  04:36:25 AM  Show Profile
I knew a guy that made a resonphonic out of an old Oahu steel. Sounded great, but after a couple years, the top folded on him and he just had reso-kindling.
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  05:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Unfortunately, my assertion of success was premature. Last night I left the case open to air the smoke out from the previous owner, while I played the guitar. The lid gradually opened out, since the strap which is supposed to hold it at a right angle gradually slipped. So the weldwood glue isn't working. It seemed to work at first because of friction between the strap, the styrofoam liner and the case edge. I really don't want to remove and replace the entire liner just to get at the strap, but I don't see any other option. I'll probably just live with the case as is. Now as to that nail polish remover experiment . . .

Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  05:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Any chance of using pop-rivets with webbing straps? If there is a metal edging on the plastic shell, you could rivet through the metal and reinforce webbing with small washers.

Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  09:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
That just might work! As long as there's no chance of the rivet head coming in contact with the finish, it would be fine. And the pop rivet could be applied from the outside. I'll get out my pop rivet stuff and consider this tonight or tomorrow. (It may take that long to find my pop rivet stuff.) Thanks for the new suggestion. LRR

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000