Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 technical assist?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zenboy
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  7:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi. does anyone know what kind of gear barry flanagan uses (pick-up, compresser etc. thanks

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  9:40:09 PM  Show Profile

LOUD!!!
Go to Top of Page

zenboy
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  11:22:01 AM  Show Profile
You are too technical Julie Is that the kind of guitar you play too?
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  4:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Apparently you don't know Julie or the contributions she makes to the Hawaiian music world. And judging by your Profile, we don't know who you are or where you come from. Must be a Zen thing. I think Barry is way too loud and electric also. I'll leave compressors and limiters to Makana, Barry and the like. Give me nahenahe.

Dog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  4:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Couple of years ago I heard Barry play solo, no fancy stuff - just a stell strig guitar plugged into the house amp - sounded like Barry always sounds, only quieter.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  6:53:57 PM  Show Profile
As is often suggested here, just contact Barry directly. He's a wonderful guy who likes to share, especially his ki ho`alu.
n
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  4:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I think Barry plays a Washburn with a custom built neck by Steve Grimes. Auntie Nancy is right, try asking Barry at www.hapa.com

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  10:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Dog, you are too kind and generous. As for a loud guitar, the only one I play that is amplified is a lap steel, and I'm rather timid with that one. So much to learn...

Zenboy, welcome to TaroPatch, where everybody goes whacky now and then. I hope we get to see more posts by you, and it would be nice to know a little more about you. Do you live in California? We have some wonderful get-togethers around here. Maybe we'll get to meet you sometime.

Cheers! Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  07:32:46 AM  Show Profile

Since Barry really plays in a modified electric style (in spite of
the acoustic look of the instrument), the sound he achieves is mostly
from the make/model pickup he has installed and his outboard
processing. There is just a touch of wood sound remaining. Zenboy is
correct in interpreting the sound as greatly due to gear. I have
been curious about the gear as well, but since I do not want to
emulate that particular sound at this time, I have not been motivated
enough to ask. The time I talked to Barry about his playing (1993),
I found out that he was playing mostly in a G tuning at the time, yet
he also insisted he did not play Slack Key! I think this is because
he mostly plays (when I have seen him) with a pick held between thumb
and pointer, but also uses the index and ring fingers to pick.
Interestingly, this is also a picking style that is very popular
among Irish bands, such as the Battlefield Band and the Corrs, and
the most popular tuning for guitars in these bands is also open G.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/31/2006 07:47:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  09:34:20 AM  Show Profile
At the 2003 Maui Slack Key Festival he (Barry) was using a Baggs PADI. His sound then was not much different than his recorded sound, just lots less "produced". He would adjust it quite often and not just the amplitude knobette. He didn't even have to look; he modified the EQ on the fly while playing in his vigorous style (he also lost a pick - it flew out of his hand and another magically appeared - and chipped out some more wood from the large hole he has made in the lower bout of his guitar - which means to me that you are right on, Lawrence. There is not much wood left on the top to vibrate :-)

Lawrence, we just happened to listen again to the first "Hapa" album 2 days ago and it was clear that his pieces(except for parts of the old classics) just didn't have the structure or approach of slack key. Rarely was a vamp used, for instance. He is quite correct that he doesn't play slack key, but it is still Hawaiian sounding and very inventive and mostly very impressive composing and arranging.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  11:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
I think this is because
he mostly plays (when I have seen him) with a pick held between thumb
and pointer, but also uses the index and ring fingers to pick.
Interestingly, this is also a picking style that is very popular
among Irish bands, such as the Battlefield Band and the Corrs, and
the most popular tuning for guitars in these bands is also open G.

The pick and fingers technique is very common with electric players; particularly Tele-bangers doing "chicken-pickin." Also good for faking pedal steel licks. Lots of guitarists do it, too -- better for grabing chords and stuff on the upper strings, or for the quick jump into rockabilly style. And sometimes the only way to get the proper feel in a lead is to forgo the pick and play with your fingers. Slows you down to where you can let the notes breathe.

As for Open G being the most common tuning with Celtic bands -- are you sure? It would be cool, cuz I like TaroPatch lots. Tho' about 90% of the Celtoids I know play in DADGAD. Due largely to Pierre Bensusan and Michael O'Don'taskmeknow. I do know a couple guys who play in Leonard's C (capoed to fiddle keys, natch), though they don't call it that.

quote:
Since Barry really plays in a modified electric style (in spite of
the acoustic look of the instrument), the sound he achieves is mostly
from the make/model pickup he has installed and his outboard
processing.

True up to a point. But I have identical electronics in my two axes, and they sound totally different plugged in.

Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Fun question. Andy can probably answer this one too. Old Washburn, new neck by Steve Grimes, possibly graphite? I wouldn't want to be that neck. It gets abused. Pickup is the original Barcus Baggs (sp?) originally installed in the guitar. Was using nanowebs for awhile, not sure if he switched. old delay pedal, forgot what brand, but it's like twenty years old. used to use purple dunlop tortex picks for about 20 years. recently switched to a Tortis pick, then lost it, now maybe playing real tortoise picks.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  2:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Darin,
At least at that performance and one at Symphony Space in NYC, he used no delay pedal (he couldn't), and his picks were totally white - don't know if that means Tortis or what. And you are certainly correct about the neck torture. I think the guy thinks he invented the neck bend. He *always* does it and he always gets a cheer. Ikaika has started doing it all the time, too. I guess it is a crowd pleaser. Anyone who has a bolt-on neck and doesn't really care about the guitar (I mean that the guitar is simply a cost of doing business) can do it.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  9:05:35 PM  Show Profile
My parents were both Symphony musicians. Were they alive, they would shudder at the thought of bending the neck of a guitar!!!!
(Ah, maybe that's why I'm so timid and respectful of musical instruments.)
Gently, Julie
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  2:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Am I detecting Barry Bashing?

Yeah, he uses a Boss DigiDelay. His guitar is an earlier Washburn Monterey, neck courtesy of Steve Grimes.

As for slack key, I think much of his playing is exactly that. Yep, it's loud, amplified, different, and as a guitarist, fascinating to watch and listen to.

As for the lack of vamps? I've heard plenty of them in every album, (cept' for Surf Madness)

Cheers,

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  9:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mr. Piff sir, no, we are not Barry bashing! In the music world there are so many styles and flavors, some not so palatable and others very tasty. It's all relevant to your own preferences, no? How have you been, not seen you posting lately.
Seems a shame we don't see each other much, as we live not so far apart...
Aloha nui loa, Julie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000