Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Slide Guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  2:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message

Dear Guitarrists,

You all may think I'm crazy after I post this, but bear with me.

I'm thinking about quitting playing guitar as I know it because I plan to take training in Plant Spirit Medicine, which is a synthesis of 5-element acupuncture with shamanic healing techniques. Part of that is that for diagnosis I'll need to have no calluses on my fingertips, so I won't be able to continue playing guitar in the same way.

So my question: Is Hawaiian slide guitar technique something which would allow me to play guitar without using my fingertips at all? I'm guessing I could wear some sort of picks on my right hand fingers, and use the slide for my left hand. The obvious guitarrist to listen to is Bob Brozman, and I'm also a huge fan of Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. The music is very nice, the only downside being that slide guitar doesn't seem to be a solo instrument at all. Well, that may be OK.

I just want to know if I can get away with making music and expressing myself without using my fingertips at all.

many thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Griffin

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  3:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
yes hawaiian steel guitar is usually played with a thumbpick and fingerpicks and a steel bar, should keep your fingertips free of contamination...if you havent, check out the barney issacs/george kuo cd on dancing cat, some lovely acoustic slide playing.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  1:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
quote:
So my question: Is Hawaiian slide guitar technique something which would allow me to play guitar without using my fingertips at all? I'm guessing I could wear some sort of picks on my right hand fingers, and use the slide for my left hand. The obvious guitarrist to listen to is Bob Brozman, and I'm also a huge fan of Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. The music is very nice, the only downside being that slide guitar doesn't seem to be a solo instrument at all. Well, that may be OK.
Steel guitars (especially the old acoutic wooden body types) are actually quite suited to playing solo. Visit "http://www.HawaiiMusicians.com/members/MemProfile.asp?d4=xpT4ui447dfe" I have a solo song done on one of these guitars.

-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

richonmaui
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  11:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit richonmaui's Homepage  Click to see richonmaui's MSN Messenger address
Chris

You may want to at least try a nylon string guitar. Nylon is MUCH easier on the finger tips.

Good luck,

Rich

--
Huli i ka nani o na mea apau!
--
HawaiianRainbow - Hawaiian Music Now in MP3Pro Stereo!
Streaming da kine in stereo since 1999!
http://www.HawaiianRainbow.com
HawaiianRainbow is an officially licensed ASACP and BMI Station

,.-*"*-.,<º))))><"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,<º))))><

,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"><((((º>,.-*"*-.,,.-*"><((((º>
,.-*"*-.,<º))))><"*-.,,.-*"*-.,
Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  11:21:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

Kona Bob, I love your song. I actually downloaded it a few weeks ago and I'm trying to learn lap steel. What tuning did you use on that track? I'm getting started with Taro Patch.

Aloha

-Danno
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000