Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A Gathering?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  2:43:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou e hui,

I had a kind of wishful thinking thought. Since TP.net is so successful, wouldn't it be nice to stage a gathering, say, on Maui? RMMGA, the Usenet Newsgroup for acoustic guitar, is always staging gatherings, even in the UK, and they have been really well received.

I was also thinking that it could be at the time of George's Maui Camp which is planned for the Ki Ho`alu Fest in June. Those 2 things would be attractions in themselves. But, it would be really fun to get together as a smallish or, even largish, group with Kevin dem at Waihe`e a couple of times. As I remember, Kevin's format is round-robin: each person does something solo with the rest backing. George's Camp would be optional, of course. Waihe`e Beach Park would also be a great place to picnic and play, too.

Now, a lot of this is predicated on external circumstances (like the stock market :-( and George and Festival organizers and TP.net continuing interest. It also depends on people's current plans. I figure it might have to be 2 years out, because some people have already planned their trips for this year (actually, this is kinda late for planning Winter or Spring trips, already), but Andy is up for this June.

Andy also suggested that Group Rates might be arranged the way he and Lynette did for their wedding. One of the choices then, Contintental Meeting Works, got Sarah and me the lowest rates ever from the East Coast. Left Coasters have many more options in travel, of course (lucky dogs).

If you don't think I am crazy (I proudly am :-), tell us what you think and if and when you would do this.

...Reid

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  3:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
For the record, I think Reid is crazy... but that is not a bad thing. His idea for a gathering is a fantastic one. The slack key community is relatively small and as we have seen quite spread out geographically. It would be a treat to have a gathering to meet some of the people here face to face... or guitar to guitar, for that matter.

I think Reid's suggestion for timing is to have this proposed gathering coincide with another event rather than overlap. This way, we get the most bang for the buck. Anyone have additional suggestions? I think timing a gathering in Maui (given the support of the Maui crew here), along with George Kahumoku's camp, and the Maui Slack Key Festival is very compelling. That is a whole lot of slack key and camaraderie for the money spent.

FYI, the group rates that Continental offered in April were zone fares segmented by region. The zone fares were set 3-4 years ago and therefore were pretty attractive. The nice thing was that the zone fares were there as an option. Nobody was required to use it. You could shop around and then book whichever worked best for you. After further discussion, I can investigate what the current options are for securing some kind of group rate.

Please discuss!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  3:46:41 PM  Show Profile
My "Bruddah" Reid!

You know ever since I've joined the Taro Patch Ohana, I was thinking since we've all been comunicating here on Maui to all of you across
our big swimming pool, Would'nt it be nice to meet some of the Taro Patch Ohana's.

I hav'nt shared it with the Waihee Ohana's
But after reading this article, We can put all of our thoughts together and come up with a plan!

It may be a long shot but, Would'nt it be great guys (waihee ohana's) to be able to meet the other Ohanas in the Mainland. It would need great planning! A lot of Lau,Lau, Kalua Pig,
Kulolo and Sweet Bread sales! ha,ha! But it is possible. Thanks Reid for tossing it around maybe after it settles we can all sit down together and enjoy the feast! (jamming)

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana!
Kevin. (give my aloha to Sarah.)...hope this can all be possible!...

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  6:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I was thinking of having things arranged so that the times of each butted up against one another. That's what I think Andy meant by coincide. George's thing takes a week, right? Then there is the El Grande Ki Ho`alu Festival (on a Sunday, I think). Then, we could arrange a couple days, or even a week, either before or after both, to get together and play, and talk story and *eat*. I think we would all like it to be comfortable and not forced, with plenny time to relax and snorkel (I want to see Pono jump again, I want Bill to take me and Sarah spear-fishing :-)and just flake out under the palms on any part of the island, or hike into Haleakala, or whatever they feel like doing.

BTW, Do guys from Hana, like Duke, ever get enticed to come up-Island?

Kevin, my friend, your menu is making my mouth water... And, you and Ikaika are going to play in the Festival, yeah? So, what do you think - are you more comfortable if a Gathering is before or after?

me ke aloha,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Kevin,

This is a great idea!!!!! Let's talk about it in our next Waihee Kanikajamapila. You have my 200% support.

ed

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:52:19 PM  Show Profile

GOOD IDEA !

Having been to George's event 4 years running and
planning to go to the next, I have a few things to
interject:

George's Event starts on a Thursday (or maybe a
day sooner this year), and ends with the Ki Ho'alu
festival (after the students play on stage). For
Cynthia & I this has always been a bit of a let down,
we stay on for a few days after at the Mauian, but
as the slackers leave the energy of the place changes
back to "tourist mode". This is always a little sad.

So if there is a Gathering Event on the DAY AFTER
the Festival it would be a great way to change the
energy. So I vote for the day after Georges event
as we will be there anyway. We also come out a few
days before, but there are usually some scheduled
activities we get involved in before George's event.

The other factor is that Keoki MAY have a uke workshop
that will occur just before or just after George's
slack-key one. This could complicate things for those
u-ke-le-liacs.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  10:01:33 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid,

I think after the events would be a better time.
You're going to be so busy with keokis work shop and trying to find time for yourselves after the work shop, I think that way, when all the events that you came here to do, is done, You can all focus on our get together.

Yes Ikaika and I will be performing too.
Reid when would this be again?

Hey Ed, Shoot's brah lets bring it up with the rest of the Waihee Slack key Ohana's.(Oct.30)
Wednesday. And then on November6 Wed. And then the 16 of Nov. thats a Saturday.(thats our get together).....Aloha,a hui hou!

Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  10:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,
I'm fabulously wealthy, have endless time on my hands and plan on summering in the islands for the next 4 fiscal years.........

Uhhh....but anyway, COUNT ME IN. This coming summer may be a bit tough as Im going to Corsica, and upon returning will be again flat broke but richer im sure.

This is an excellent idea. Im thinking somewhere on Maui the summer of 04. In all reality it would give folks a bit more time to decide on schedules and details.

Everyone needs to have an opinion on this one. see what happens, make a general decision in six months or so as to when, and let people go from there or something like that.

Lifes a bitch and war is hell, but the thought of meeting up with you people on some beach some night in the islands, listening to story and music............that keeps me sane.

alo'ha and all it means to you, taropatch Ohana,
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  11:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Ooh, I like the sound of this!
Lawrence, I agree with you, it was kind of sad when everyone just sorta' drifted away after Sunday's festival. It would be great to have more time together to absorb what we just learned, and jam some.
I also remember, as a beginner, how I had so much information swimming-around my head after those three days of Go, go, go workshops(not complaining, believe me) :)

After the festival sounds best to me, but could come before too.

Aloha,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

this sounds like a blast! i sure hope the commonly agreed on time is after classes are over here so i can join in...

keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  11:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, after the first flush of responses, it seem as if nobody else is much interested. This thread has been read about 117 times (but maybe a lot of those clicks are me :-). But, whoever is interested, is interested (I love truisms :-), and at least one thing seems to have been concluded: a gathering is better *after* the Ki ho`alu festival.

So, The Festival is supposed to be scheduled for Sunday, June 23 (I think) and, so, a *weekday* gathering, or two, seems most likely for all of us. If it were to be the next weekend, those who go to George's Camp would have to extend their stays another full week, and that might be too long (and expensive) for some. However, the folks who should decide this, I think, are the Locals. The reason is that us mainlanders are on vacation, but the folks who live on Maui are not, unless they take a day or two off, and that might be a hardship, or not possible for some.

So, Kevin, could you discuss this with everyone at the next Waihe`e gathering, or could Maui residents please post about this here?

And Keith, is this timing OK with you?

Aloha,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  12:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid,

Yes! I'll talk to the rest of the group and have a feed back from them. You will be meeting at least half of the Waihee slack key group in Georges workshop. They enroll every year too.

It all depends on when you all come, We could hold it (jamm) Even a week before Georges workshop, Or couple of DAY'S before, the workshop. I guess as soon as everyone knows what there schedule is going to look like, We can take it from there. This is getting exciting!!!
Hui,Hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  2:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
I will be attending George's workshop and will be there on the Monday before but will be unable to stay the week after. Sounds like a great time for those with schedules that fit. Go for it.
Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i could actually make either right before or after, since finals are over on june 13...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000