Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 sssshhh!.....(the son's are coming)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  5:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Santa Cruz!

Just wanted to drop a line for those that live in the Santa Cruz area, The Son's of Hawaii, Will be there on the 31st. of this month. (Oct.)for about 6 days. Got the info, Through one of the band members.

It's not being advertise because, the event SUPPOSE! to be free.
And because of room space, it is going to be limited.
They'll be showing Eddie Kamaes films. (i think 7 of them.)

Before the showing the Son's will perform. Because of Taropatch you can be one of the first to know! Can't tell where it's going to be yet. Thats where you come in! You would have to find out where and when. Again, because of room space,(and again "suppose" to be free) Everything will be by word of mouth. (don't take my word for it, they may change last minute and charge a small fee. but so far? it's free!)......enjoy! hui hou!

Kevin

Kevin K. Brown

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  10:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha Kevin...I used to live in the Santa Cruz area but that doesn't do me much good now. I won't be able to make the concert, but I've read elsewhere on this forum that videos of Eddie's films tend to be sold whenever the films play. Are you in a video pre-order mood, just in case?!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  11:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the scoop Kevin. You da man!!!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  06:06:13 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,"Bruddah" Craig!

Sorry you won't be able to make the Son's Concert.(film showing). But for those that are going, Drop us a line and let the taropatch Ohana's know how everything went!

Craig, It's my understanding that when ever Eddie shows his films, You cannot buy it.
The only way he will let you have it is, You half to be affiliated with some kine of school system that teaches the youths about cultures.

You would have to write him and explain why you want the film, and how is it going to help others. Because they won't charge you for it, They'll give it to you. As long as it's for, educational purpose.

Now back here in the islands, when ever Eddie shows his film? If your lucky enough to read the TV guide and catch the time it'll be aired, (It's on one of our local stations) We tape it from the VCR. So if you wanted a particular film? Let me know, I can ask around and make a copy for you. ( This goes for all of the taropatch Ohana's too.) Let me know.(give me some time to gather and tape.)

Malama Pono, a hui hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Eddie Kamae's appearance is being widely advertised -- it's part of the hugely successful "Pacific Rim Film Festival" (which for a long time, was an annual event in Santa Cruz).

Not sure if anyone's playing with Uncle Eddie, but it might be Brudda Smitty and Pekelo Cosma (we just visited with the 3 of them here on Kaua`i a coupla weeks ago) -- sure to be a great evening of music, no matter who is on stage!

For details about the film festival and Uncle Eddie's Santa Cruz gig on November 3rd (tickets $12), see:
http://www.prff.freeservers.com/home.html

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  6:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Aunty!

Mahalo nui for straighting out everything.
Im glad it's being advertised. I was told by a band member that it would be on a low key!

But hey! the main thing is, it'll be advertised and everyone can enjoy! $12.00 is a STEAL!
And yes, This I know for SURE! ha,ha! Pekelo and Uncle Smitty will be playing with Uncle Eddie. Enjoy Ohana's from Santa Cruz!

A Hui Hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  5:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Mahalo for the offer and the info Kevin...someone had told me that videos were for available at the showings so what do I know. I'm interested in one particular film but I need to track down the name since it's been a while since I looked for it. I'll let you know.

Somewhat on topic, I just noticed the following up for sale on eBay (the auction ends on 10/28):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=914466260

It's a mint copy of the Sons of Hawaii boxed LP/book set from the early 70s (I think) that includes a hardcover copy of the book "On Hawaiian Folk Music", a softcover booklet on the musicians, and a stereo LP. It's at $26 right now, but given the way old Hawaiian LPs have been selling on eBay lately, I would expect it to go for somewhere between $50 and &75.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  1:28:43 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Craig

When you know what tape it is? Drop me a line and I'll go and look it up for you.

Funny thing, I have that LP (Sons of Hawaii)
Who ever get's it, I promise they won't regret picking it up.

A Hui Hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  1:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Whoever picked it up got a great deal...it only went for $26.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000