Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Maui, 7 perfect days--one beyond belief!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  08:02:27 AM  Show Profile
I can't begin to express my thankfulness...
George and Nancy and all the patient instructors...
and the opportunity of a lifetime...unexpected, and beyond belief.
Because of George Kahumoku's openness to "slack key violin"...
and his knack for giving continuous windows of opportunity...
He created the "right place at the right time", and I was given the honor to play a song with Walter Keale and Dwight Kanae...which turned into a lengthy super-set....
with Hawaii's best...now who was that bald guy on the end?
What a blessing...guess I'll keep the fiddle!

To the Edgar family...Lowell, Puanani, and Nani...Mahalo for helping me break through my fear to perform alone-- especially when not playing fiddle!
There is indeed Strength in Friends... I wonder who placed you in the room downstairs?
Maybe there's a Higher Power than the front desk!
Anyway...Your gracious Aloha started the completion of the "mission"... which is still evolving!
Lowell, Puanani, and Nani...Mahalo.

But indeed the Highest Hoku goes to Nancy "Surferdiver" Cook...
who answered her door at 2 AM and called 911...and followed the ambulance down to Wailuku--I think--I was pretty out of it!
I was at the end of my rope with an acute allergic reaction...
and then somehow getting luggage and my barely coherent mind/body to the airport and safely on the way....

All this Aloha made the 8 hr. LAX experience...the $25 taxi cheeseburger/water run...with the driver from Pelle...not so bad!
(They might want to consider keeping LAX open 24 hrs...like Denny's!) Nice neighborhood....luckily the Angels were in town.
Mahalo Nui to All...
Gordon

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  09:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Gordon,

Just now have a chance to respond about your "adventures".

I heard with incredulity about your hospital trip the
morning after the Slack Festival, but you had already
left the island for home.

Got back myself late last night.

Strange way to end a fabulous day for you!

By the way, some of the other folks on stage with
you through the long sets were: Mike Kaawa ("anchor"
of the Native Hawaiian Band), David Kahiapo, and
Melveen Leed, besides Walter and Dwight, and Daniel
Ho who joined you later.

Hope you are feeling much better physically and that
more opportunities are opening musically as well.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/29/2006 09:07:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  10:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Wow Gordon,
pretty impressive backup band.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  3:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Gordon,

This is so unusual and so frightening. Could you tell us more about what happened, if it is not personal? Sarah and I are happy it came out all right for you (we guess), but if there is a possibility of others having the same reaction to whatever, it would be a mitzvah (old Hawaiian word, meaning ho`omaikai`i).

We are glad you are Ok, and hope you stay that way.

Reid and Sarah

Edited by - Reid on 06/29/2006 3:31:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  10:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Geez, I don't know for sure...
Mangos are one possibiltiy...guess they're in the poisin ivy family.
but not all concur on the cause....I've sliced diced and dripped with Mangos many times...and hadn't eaten one that day, if you don't count Mai-Tai's at sunset....just had a couple ripe ones ont my kitchen counter...(it keeps the ants happy).kl
allergy tests are in future...

Also, thanks to Lawrence for the artistic recording adventures this year, and for the great sound system at the kanikapilas...
and to Cynthia for the great Lei she gave and blessed and we sent out to sea on Mom's 91st...
I think she was watching Sunday from those mystical peaks we see from stage at the Maui Culture Center.

All of George's class gets to perform there, and the sound of all those ukuleles, guitars, voices and of course our cadre of Hula dancers is awesome.
George's class blesses the day.

Also, thanks to Walter Keale, Dwight, and all for their invitation and openness to a haole fiddler "sittin' in."
Someday, we'll have to do the original song we rehearsed...Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u!
Their version is really cool.

By the way...I was just a side guy...and even though I've often said "No more Mr. Side-Guy", I'd do that one again and again...
Now that's what I'd call a great Ground-Hog's Day repeat.
Deja with a View.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 06/29/2006 10:37:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  10:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the extensive post. Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on your jamming adventures. We're all envious but of course not surprised. You already whoa'ed us with your Taropatch.net CD submissions.

Glad to hear you're in one piece after everything that happened, good and bad. Must have been scary. Luckily you were in good hands.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Kimoto1
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  6:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Kimoto1 a Yahoo! Message
Gordon:

Glad to hear you're ok now. You were rocking the crowd at the MAC that day, and I am sure violin sales are up as a result. I was wondering if you were allergic to all that "hang time" you had on stage! You played more songs than anyone else. Mahalo for bringin your fiddle.

Ray
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  9:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Bruddah Gordon,

Howzit ol’ roommate? Darn, the best kept secret is really out of the bag now. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to attend Uncle George’s workshop this year and experience your big day at the slack key festival. I probably would have shed a tear. I can only imagine what a thrill it was for you, but also for the other artists and the audience. Anyone who has seen Gordon play knows he is an extremely knowledgeable and talented musician, not to mention a very humble gentleman.

I remember the first time I heard you play your fiddle at the workshop evening kanikapila a couple of years ago. One of our teaching artists was leading a song, and you quietly came in with your fiddle and blended in nicely--albeit with a “hapa slack key/bluegrass” sound that many of us never heard before. I remember seeing Dennis Kamakahi and Carlos Andrade, who were sitting across from me, crack big smiles, because not only did they look surprised to hear a fiddle, but they appreciated how it brought a wonderful new dimension to the music. For me, one of the all-time workshop classics was when Carlos presented his own beautiful version of “Koke’e” to Dennis, the composer, during the kanikapila. Halfway into the song, Carlos heard your fiddle in the background and says, “How about a violin solo,” and you took it from there. Totally improvised, but wow, chicken skin.

Anyhow, my big souvenir from last year’s workshop is a recording (thanks Lawrence) of my kanikapila song, “Ku’u Home ‘O Kahalu’u,” with you playing the fiddle pa’ani. It was awesome. Remember earlier in the day when I was playing the song in the hotel room, and I told you I was thinking of doing my workshop singing debut, provided I muster enough nerve to do so. You complimented my playing and singing and encouraged me to go for it, which I did. Mahalo for your moral and musical support!

So, it was only a matter of time before the greater Hawaiian music community discovered your incredible talent. Well deserved my friend!

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  9:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gordon! What a day for you. We were there in the audience cheering for you!

I distinctly remember that later at the Blue Marlin you wolfed down the pineapple and fruit decoration of your Mai Tai. I don't know what else was on that little stick, or what kind of juice was in the mix. It was shortly after that you started scratching your hands and asking me if I had an antihistamine. Had I known that you would go into a full-blown allergic reaction, I would have done something more. Ah, hindsight!

Thank goodness for Nancy answering your cry in the night. She was a little cranky the next day, but we were all worried about you. Turned out Corey, my son, would be ont the same flight with you so we told him to keep checking on you.

Got some great photos of you on stage, Mr. Slack Key Festival Star...
Will let you know when I get set to burn the CDs.

Aloha plenty, Julie

Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  7:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
E Gordon, you had one "field day" fo' reals. In the first set, Ke'ali'i says that your ancestors came from the Marquessan Islands bringing their fiddles with them. Mike Ka'awa wouldn't let you go. "Fiddle Boy", indeed! You really had your day at the MACC concert. Perhaps your physical reaction had something to do with making ends meet. So glad you got through it o.k., and hope to hear you got planny offers to record wid dose buggahs in the near future. We love you Gordon, keep the sunshine comin'!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  05:06:47 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Bwop!!
Did you come home yet? And we can say "we knew mr burt when. . . ." What a day of magic, yah?
n
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:52:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all for friendship and support and green shirt energy while i was on stage.
All the friends who deal with my unbelievable memory skills, but most of all, we are just one funky extended family...
The goodness sometimes sneaks up on you, but once in a while it hits you in one huge wave...
That day is like a wave I still can catch...but better than surfing...at least the way I surf.

Hello to Pearl City Boy...missed ya this year...
and to all the West Coast friends...
and beyond.
Mahalo..
Gordo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000