Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 George Kahumoku last run of mainland shows
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  01:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
This is George's last run of mainland shows before returning to Maui to teach Ceramics at Lahainaluna High School AND produce a MASTERS OF HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR CONCERT SERIES on Maui at the Ritz Carlton. Beginning in October, George will host this first-rate series which will feature all of the major Slack Key artists in solo weekly performances. A must-see on your next trip to Hawaii!!

July 8, ELKINS WV 8-10pm
Augusta Heritage Concert Hall,
Davis & Elkins College
(George Kahumoku Jr, along with Cajun, Creole & Appalachian musicians)
info: Margo Blevin 304-637-1245 margo @ augustaheritage.com

July 10 10:30pm,
Hawaiian Luau with George Kahumoku,
Davis & Elkins College, West Virginia
info: Margo Blevin 304-637-1245 margo @ augustaheritage.com

July 12th
CONCERT & DINNER/LUAU at the
Evergreen Country Club Inc.
located at 415 Hartz Rd. Fleetwood PA
Ticket price TBA
Bob Hassler 610-779-1420 nahenaheprod @ aol.com

Sun, July 13
Birchmere Music Hall
3701 Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria VA 22305
box office 743-549-7500 (George Kahumoku Jr)

Mon, July 14,
Tin Angel
20 South 2nd St, Philadelphia PA 19106,
8:30pm (George Kahumoku Jr)
info: 610-891-9766

July 18, private party Santa Cruz

Sunday, July 20 Concert 2-3pm
Descanso Gardens
1418 Descanso Drive
La Canada CA 91011
Kim Gosney 818-949-0121
kimgosney @ hotmail.com

Saturday, August 1
ANNUAL SAN FRANCISCO ALOHA FESTIVAL
San Francisco Presidio
Parade Grounds

George performs a CONCERT from 1-1:30. (other performers will also be there)

Aug 2 LECTURE DEMO at the Festival, 1:50pm to 2:50

Aug 3, 11am to noon, a talk-story WORKSHOP on George’s book, A Hawaiian Life (at the same festival)

Aug 3, noon to 1pm, a hands-on WORKSHOP on D Wahine Tuning (intermediate-advanced workshop also at the festival)

Aug 2, Sebastopol Community Center
Benefit Concert for Whalesong, 8-10pm
for tickets call Dan 808-283-8893.

Aug 9 & 10 MI - CONCERTS & WORKSHOP,
East Lansing MI, Great Lakes Folk Festival
(George & Keoki Kahumoku have 3 performances)
Sat Aug 9 (2 SHOWS), time TBA,
Sun Aug 10, time TBA,
Workshop time TBA

Wed, Aug 13 NY - CONCERT, Southampton NY
6:45-8:45pm Southampton Cultural Center Concert in the Park Series info 631-287-4377 FREE
(George & Keoki Kahumoku)

Aug 14 CT - CONCERT Thurs, Deep River CT
Deep River Congregational Church, Jeff Hosteler 860-526-5811
lhosteler @ wesleyan.edu (George & Keoki Kahumoku)

Aug 15 NY - private event, Southampton NY

Mon, Sep 1,
Salem Oregon
Oregon State Fair (GEORGE KAHUMOKU JR)
Fountain Plaza Stage 2:30 to 3:30pm and 7 to 8pm

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  01:08:53 AM  Show Profile
The best way to stay current on George's gigs, is to bookmark the calendar provided on George's site -- and check it weekly for updates:
http://www.kahumoku.com

That guy stays plenny busy! :-)

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  4:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Aloha 'auinala no!
I saw George and Keoki in Captain Cook in January. They are very good so don't miss them if you have a chance to see them.
A hui hou
Jeff

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  01:36:19 AM  Show Profile
I would like to suggest that those of us who are contributors to our CD and see George in the near future thank him for lending his support. For me it is a true sign of Gk's aloha (and his dedication to advancing slack key) that he didn't even think twice about lending his support, just did it.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  12:40:30 AM  Show Profile
I concur, Raymond. When I see George on May 8th I will give him a great big hug! He's just special in my book. Aloha, Julie
Oops, I meant June 8th...

Edited by - Julie H on 07/07/2003 02:00:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  01:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Give one hug for me too Julie, but watch out for that opu!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  12:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Sarah and I always go to the Deep River show, and will again in Aug. Only 45 minutes from our house in a lovely little white church on a New England town green. It is fantastically unusual that any Hawaiian musician would come here and it is only because George does it for his friends who live in the area.

Last year they had a humongous Island dinner *free*, with spam musubi (had to explain that to the locals :-), sushi, lau lau, teri Chicken, 2 scoop rice, mac salad and lots more. It is also very neat to see the New England-kine Kahu come out in an Aloha shirt and announce the show - *and* get all the Hawaiian pronounciations right. That's more than Garrison Keillor can do.

...Reid

So, Andy, you and Lynette up for this?

Edited by - Reid on 07/07/2003 12:53:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  08:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
So, Andy, you and Lynette up for this?
We would love to but a Thursday? I'll check the calendar and see what we can do.

Schedule Updated - added San Francisco Aloha Festival dates

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Andy, didn't even notice the THURSDAY. All the rest of his shows have been on weekends, so I assumed...(never assume :-).

I can well understand your reluctance for traveling then - especially if the heat holds up. Mo' bettah you wait for another time and/or place.

And, then... he cycles back and forth from and to The Island on bracketing days - what is the man *thinking*? Well, he should be really familiar with those evil highways by now. That's where he came from last time, when he got lost or something.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Having lived on the Big Island, George thinks nothing of driving from NYC to Long Island to CT and back again. Probably figures at least it's easy highway driving so you can go fast. Better than Hilo to Kona and back?

We most likely cannot make it but will entertain the idea. I doubt we'll catch George otherwise, because I do not want to deal with the weekend traffic out to South Hampton. He's skipping Manhattan which is not a bad idea since there's a weekend exodus out of NYC all summer long.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  8:42:21 PM  Show Profile
So wot, Andy? You pupule? "easy highway driving so you can go fast"????!!!! I nearly got killed 5 times on I91 and 195 today at 75 mph. LIE and Southern State is even worse. I got so agimatated on the Island that I decided to drive to Port Jeff and take the ferry to B'port, regardless of cost - was wonderful BTW. "Better than Hilo to Kona and back?" Of course not. Saddle road is a *breeze* - Sarah and I coasted from the crest down to the ocean - it was a game - and never saw another car for 3 hours. Around the Hamakua coast, through Waimea, to Kailua, the only problem is multiaxle trucks every 30 minutes; so you pull over and let them pass.

The basic answer is that you live in Jersey and, so, you are accustomed to random violence and danger. Who is your Gov and Congerspersons and do they know the Sopranos?

George does anykine.

But, seriously, you could take a 4 day weekend and stay over with us and go back on the weekend.

(I can hear the guilt now... Sarah sez you can work on Sunday:-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  8:59:30 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to give a glowing review of his show in Philadelphia, but he cancelled ...

As it's very rare that we get slack key guitarists out here on the Right Coast of the US (the last one I saw was George... last spring), it's needless to say that I was sorely bummed. However, Ledward and Bob Brozman are coming out for a Show and workclass in Aug
Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

Edited by - rd2ruin on 07/15/2003 9:00:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000