Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 San Francisco Aloha Festival Aug 5 &6
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mark m
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  08:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Folks,

How many of you are going to this free 2 day event? I've never been to one and think of going. Is there any jamming here or is it mainly watching performances? What perforers would you highly recommend from the list of performances? I'm looking forward to some good music and great food.

Mahalo,
Mark

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  11:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The event is much more a show than a kanikapila. In fact, when the Tahitian drums are going strong on the main stage, it's hard to talk. But you should bring an instrument just in case <grin>. And there are workshops, although they are not yet listed on the site:

http://www.pica-org.org/AlohaFest/

I have personal knowledge of a few of the performers:

Na Leo Nahenahe - Auntie Cathy Howe performs with this group, possibly some other Patchers. They do intricate choral arrangements of Hawaiian songs.
Hiram Bell is quite a character and quite an `ukulele player.
Steven Espaniola is a wonderful falsetto singer and a fine player.
Halau O Keikiali'i is a terrific dance group, Steven will probably play with them as well. Kawika Allfiche is a well known chanter.
Academy of Hawaiian Arts/Mark Ho'omalu is quite a strong dance group. Mark wrote some of the music for the original "Lilo and Stitch" and brings a very different sensibility to his hula.

Assuming things go as planned, I'll be holding beginner's slack key workshops both days. Hiram Bell usually does `ukulele workshops, and Kawika Allfiche has done chant workshops in the past.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

mark m
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  09:23:08 AM  Show Profile
Hey Fran,

Thanks for the post. Do you know any falsetto singers in the schedule?

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  2:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Steven Espaniola is a terrific falsetto singer.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  8:22:20 PM  Show Profile

Aloha kakou:

Mahalo for the mention, Fran.
Na Leo Nahenahe will be performing at 11:30am on Saturday, and we've been working on some terrific songs, including Makalapua and Sanoe.

On Sunday, also at 11:30am, I'll be performing with the Royal Hawaiian 'Ukulele Band, waaaay fun - some older songs and some up to the minute, we have a terrific time.

About the Festival, Mark, I end up staying just about all day each day and would even if I were not performing- the music is great, you get to see halaus from ohter areas, and ono grinds, lotsa stuffs of Hawaii in the booths.
Tennison Lum usually is the MC and his band is playing, too.
E komo mai! Cathe

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  04:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Oooo - Auntie Cathe - I'd sure love to hear you!! Anyone recording any of it? There is a big festival here in Gardena this weekend with many halaus performing, including Puanani's halau from Ventura. Uncle Chuck and Auntie Iolana will be joining them. I will try to remember to take pictures.
n
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  8:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Nancy!
Wish you were here, eh? I'll find out if anyone is recording and if so, will send to you.
You can hear Na Leo Nahenahe on the Taropatch CD, the opening number and one other - I think Akaka Falls. But that was last year, and we way mo' bettah dis yeah.
Have fun in Gardena.
ou hui hou, Cathe

cathe
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  09:51:37 AM  Show Profile
And be sure to stop by the Halau Ka Waikahe Lani Malie booth and check out our E Pili Kakou two day hula workshop event to be held in Sacramento September 29-Oct. 1st -- Look for Lynn from Aloha Music Camp .. I'll be in the booth Sunday noon to 2pm.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  8:08:25 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou:

If you'd like to know a bit more about the Aloha Festival and Na Leo Nahenahe, turn to page E3 of the San Francisco Chronicle today, Thursday. J. Cooper's Hawaii Callscolumn is all about it, and Steve Espaniola, too. You can also find it at www.sfgate.com.
me ke aloha,

cathe
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  06:09:14 AM  Show Profile
Howzit All,

I took a look at the Sunday schedule and I believe the first 6 acts are or include Taropatch members. Bruddah Steve "Kiwini" Corioso makes his debut, opening the show with slack key at 10:30A. Hiram Bell is next with his HUI ukulele players. Uncle Kem's Templebar ukulele gang follows, which includes Aunty Cathe and probably several other Taropatchers. Next up is "Hui Hula o Na Pu'u I Ka Noe" halau, with Bruddahs Sil-da-tril, RodV, and Peter backing them up. Steven Espaniola, who needs no introduction, follows. Kaleponi Strings is next, led by Hollis Baker.

Unfortunately, I can't make it to Saturday's events, but I'm planning to go on Sunday so I can heckle Kiwini--I mean support my fellow Taropatchers. I'm bringing my guitar and ukulele so I can sit in on Fran's and Hiram's workshops, and perhaps do some impromptu kanikapila if any other 'Patchers are interested. Also, I'm going to get there early--around 9:00A (maybe earlier if I can get my act together) and meet up with Kimoto, whom I recently met on the 'Patch, and do some morning jamming. Others are welcome to join in.

Hope to see a bunch of you there too. No forget your instruments!

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  12:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Doug, if you're looking for a place to hang out in the AM, let me suggest the workshop tent. Chairs in the shade, available until 11 AM.

See ya,
Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  7:14:03 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo, Doug!

Sounds like fun - I'll try and get there early, too. Meet at the workshop tent? until I have to go warm up with the Royal Hawaiians.
ou hui hou

cathe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000