Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Open Mike Mishaps
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  2:22:26 PM  Show Profile
OK. Thought this forum might be amusing and instructive at the same time. Some of us have played slack key at at least one Open Mike event. Sometimes. . . things don't work out the way you planned them . Please add here, your "talk story" and/or lessons learned from Open Mike events. You professionals out there never make mistakes -- this is for us amateurs trying to show off the results of all that "playing in the closet".

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  2:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Ever had an Open Mike and no one showed?

Well it happened to us in San Diego a few weeks back -- all the "heavy hitters" were at Slack Key Camps in the Islands, on vacation, or already engaged. Since I had neglected to check with the rest of the local "kiho'alo krew" I showed up and waited. When I had walked into the restaurant, I had doubled the number of non-employee visitors/customers -- there were now TWO of us (and one was too buried in her sushi to come up for air). After waiting "A LONG TIME" for at least some moral support and noting that the tip jar was still achingly empty . . I did the sensible thing and snuck out without playing.

Moral of the story: make sure you are going to have company and at least a few admirers/hecklers before committing to stage an Open Mike and call ahead.

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  2:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Broken Pipes or No Cooling!

Ever showed up for Open Mike, only to find the venue with the following sign, "Closed for Remodeling" on the front door? Well, it happened last night. The local rumors are that the plumbing was broken and they had to call a plumber to fix things -- or the refrigerator was not keeping the sushi cold enough.

In any case, we were suddenly faced with several slack key players scheduled to show up and no place to play. Through the quick thinking of our "smarter slackers", we posted a sign, left a remnant to warn stragglers, and marched off to the local favorite Chinese Restaurant. Due to some good luck, one of our admirer/hecklers had a portable amplifier in his truck -- so after, dinner (first things first) we set up the amp, moved some chairs around, and we had an impromptu Open Mike -- gosh these guys are dedicated!

Moral of the story? Call Ahead. Make sure your venue is still there. Keep a cell phone tree of your "regulars" so you can give them a heads up or "warning shot".

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile
HEY RIK!!!!!
You missed it last week!
We played for Junior Seau (former San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins all-pro linebacker). One from his group told Chunkey Monkey (who was playing a John Keawe tune) that he really liked Hapa! Chunkey took it as a compliment. Hope you didn't show up late last night -- you would have missed us all.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  5:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I think you guys are setting the open mic bar. 5 years ago, friends at Aloha Music Camp encouraged me to play some open mics to practice performing. I checked one out but haven't played one yet. Sorry, no story to share -- too chicken.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to Ray Stovich, who got our open mic off the ground about a year and a half ago. I took over in March. We've had a steady show of players. Never less than 8 performances and as many as 16. I think our success comes from the fact that we only do it once a month (the second Tuesday), it's announced well in advance and everybody is a fan of everyone else. It's been amazing to me to watch everyone grow and expand into good players, and encourage the newbies. Also Sun Jose Hawaii has been a great sponsor and Mission City Coffee Roasting Company came to our rescue when we lost our last venue. We have a blast. No mishaps, just a learning experience in a safe environment!

Mahalo to all,

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 07/19/2006 6:40:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  9:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Several years ago, we were in Mendocino during a festival at the Mendocino Art Center. Somehow we got to talking to the lady who put on this fair. Her name was "Spirit".

After she told us she loved Hawaiian music she begged us to play at this festival which was happening at that very moment. We cleaned ourselves up a bit, grabbed our ukuleles and hit the stage. After playing acoustically for a few minutes, Spirit decided we should be amplified. She introduced us to her soundman named "Human".

"Human" set us up with one mike, which he put down on the ground in front of the slightly elevated stage. We started off well, and lots of folks were stopping to enjoy the music, when the microphone slowly started "drooping". I was in the middle of a song, and didn't want to interrupt, so I tried to follow the mike with my head. When the song was done, the mic was at my ankles. "Human" was off somewhere playing his bongo drums with a buddy. I could hear him in the distance.

My hubby and I chatted with a few people after that but made our get-away soon afterward. Sigh. My lesson learned that day? Never go with a soundman named "Human"....

Edited by - Julie H on 07/19/2006 9:24:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  07:06:17 AM  Show Profile
The Wood-n-Lips Open mic crowd just had their 5th Anniversary party at Tim Woods house this last weekend. He built a stage in his back yard, set up a sound system and we had another open mic. The place was packed and was a good oppurtunity to chat with people from the past performances. In the 5 years of open mics we've played at 4 different locations, under 6 different businesses.

We had times of light sign-ups, but usually people don't mind doing a second set or longer sets. A few times it got to be overloaded with players, so now it's a lottery. Usually if someone has made a great effort to get there (long distance, out of towner, celeb), and they miss the lottery drawing, someone will usually give up their spot. Those that don't have success with the lottery get a confirmed spot the following week.

We've had a didgeridoo player, poets, assorted musicians including a retired symphony violinist, clowns and even performers doing monologues. Several groups have developed through the open mic. My wife and I joined a group and got our first paying gig from someone who just happened to be shopping in the area and heard the group playing. Just recently I was invited to play Slack Key backup and break on Ulupalakua with Patty Hall

Sometimes players have got lost playing the chords to songs only to have someone in the audience shout out the chord progression to get them back on track as well as the lyrics to songs when the brain freezes. No big deal, everybody goes does it sooner or later. We even have one person passing out chocolate a couple times during the evening.

Bottom line- Open mics are fun, you make new friends, and good for your development as a musician.

Ralph

Edited by - Rlowenote on 07/20/2006 07:07:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  10:22:11 AM  Show Profile
I've been playing ki ho'alu for almost 2 years now, so mine is the expected mishap. About 6 months ago, I finally got up enough nerve to sign up. As I was starting to play, I realized I left my fingers at home and came to the open mic with all thumbs. I haven't been able to get back up there yet. I think it was the first time we had a full house as far as the restaurant goes too, so that didn't help matters. It'll happen though.....someday.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  4:30:09 PM  Show Profile
RobO,
Ahhhh. Been there, done that, too!
However, our little Open Mike (although billed as the "Southern California Slack Key Society Open Mike" is really the San Diego County Slack Key Open Mike) is specifically for Slack Key and most of the audience is made up of the players. So we are really kind to one-another and only offer suggestions when asked. We have tried to create a low-key atmosphere where "newbies" can listen to the "good players" and "newbies" can play -- "Thumbs-Only" without feeling intimidated. Most of the restaurant clientele aren't really listening anyway -- they want to enjoy their meal and some good conversation. Come on down and see us. Our rule is "NO BOOS not No Booze". We also have the occasional "kanikapilsner".

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  5:10:48 PM  Show Profile
I did an open mic at a micro brew establishment. Years ago after waiting tables, I realized that the "public" aren't paying attention ( they are not capable of making such a high payment, mere attendance taxes them sorely, and things in front of them, such as potables and comestables, consume their total attention. They work very hard at not spilling.) Thus the picker is free to follow Led's advice: "Jus' press."
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  1:56:24 PM  Show Profile
When I did my first open mic I was held captive by the mics -- one for voice and one for ukulele. You can't wander off line 'cause if you do amplification is lost. Of course if a soundman is there, he may be able to play along and keep the sound even. The other dilema was where to stick the mic if you need the music stand. At best it can be a small hinderance to view.And then you need to make sure there's room for your instrument -- to avoid banging into the music stand. At a kanikapila the speakers were too far infront, you wonder if the mic is on. But that is the other part of performing live -- the set up.
And if it's the first time you've been ampified, that too can be unnerving on top of being nervous in front of people. So I've had my "take two" or "start over". And I've finished a song somewhat different from the many perfect times I've practiced at home.
(Ah, them butterflies)
Well, now I've added a pick up to my uke. And I practice now and then with a mic and figure out the best place to set up the music stand. Still experimenting for that ideal position where the mic won't make you cross eyed while reading the music sheet.
But bottom line, I enjoy playing live and sharing that great Hawaiian music with others.

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000