Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kani @ Nani's in Hayward, 6/29/06
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  8:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Ready for another Kani at da donut shop? Address is 20942 Mission Blvd in Hayward. Starts at 6:30pm or wheneva people show up. We'll go until 9pm or there abouts (or wheneva Art kicks us out). Share a new mele!!! See you there.

Sil

Edited by - Sil da Trill on 06/16/2006 8:35:41 PM

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  09:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Got some stuff happening that may prevent me from making another kanikapila but I'll try my best to get there. Look forward to seeing everyone again. A hui hou...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

mark m
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  6:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi guys,

How many of you are regulars to this kani? This is the closest one to my place, I'm in CV. I hope to meet all of you. Can you tell me what instruments you usually play and what songs do you work on?

Thanks,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  8:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Bruddah Sil,

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it tomorrow, but hope to make it next month.

Mark M., I would highly recommend the "Kani at Nani's," as well as the "Cowtown Kanikapila" (see other posting) in Vacaville. There's a really good mix of folks at both kanis: beginners and pros, young and old, singers and non-singers, ukuleles, slack key, standard and bass guitars, sometimes steel guitar and hula dancers, Hawaiians and non-Hawaiians--but all Hawaiian at heart. I've met many new friends at these kanis, even brought my two elementary-aged boys who were so warmly welcomed, learned a lot of new songs, and always have had a wonderful time.

I play slack key and basic ukulele. Bruddah Sil, one of the pros, does an excellent job getting everyone involved and keeping the flow going. Ask him to sing "Akaka Falls."

Anyhow, sorry I can't make it tomorrow night, but hope to see you all soon.

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  05:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Mark M,

Looking forward to meeting you tonight at Nani's for da Kani(kapila). The whole idea of the gathering is to spread that Aloha spirit via the island style music. The key element is the sharing of the songs (mele's). We all play "with" each other, not perform "for" one another (like in an Open Mic senario, btw there is a regular Open Mic in Santa Clara, see the posting in the Performance thread).

In the Kani @ Nani's, we keep it going by having everyone pick a mele, usually out of a common song book, "He Mele Aloha", then grind it out. Sometimes the songs are not in the He Mele Aloha, so it's great when we have copies ready to share.

Anyways it's all about playing together, sharing and learning wonderful island style songs.

Aloha, Sil
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  12:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Mark, don't forget to bring a stool or folding chair to sit on along with a music stand if you go tonight...

Art
Go to Top of Page

mark m
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  09:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sil and Art,

It was great to hear the music you guys played. I came late because of errands that I had to do but at least I got to hear a few songs. I didn't bring an instrument because I wasn't familiar with your setup but next time I will. I need to get that book so I can practice for the next one. Sil, were you the one singing on the chair? Art, were you playing the electric behind the donut counter. I'll have to talk to you guys next time when I have more time to stay.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  10:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Mark, you should have come in, introduced yourself and sang along. Sil, was actually standing closest to the door but also moving around rearranging mikes and controlling the action. I was playing bass and depending on when you actually got there I was either standing at the back or sitting in front of the cash register. The bruddah playing electric behind the counter is also named Art, but he is the co-proprietor of the donut shop and Nani's husband. Check Taropatch postings for an upcoming kanikapila, the soonest of which will be on Sunday, July 9th in Vacaville. Come on in, the water's fine. No shame brah...

Art
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  3:22:42 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Mark,

Were you the guy who asked about where to get the "He Mele Aloha" book? ...and I told you Sun Jose here in the bay area or in da Costco's in the islands?

No real matter, cuz you can always look over the shoulder of someone who has the book.

But next time, will be August 31st. Don't be shy, bring the guitar and join in.

Thanks to all who showed up. Auntie Ella, you truly rock!!!!

See you at da Cowtown Kani on July 9th.

Sil

Edited by - Sil da Trill on 07/01/2006 3:23:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

mark m
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  7:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Art & Sil,

Yes, that's me standing behind Sil by the door. I saw you playing the bass and I talked to Sil about the book. Thanks for the help. I will be there next time at the start so I can get the whole experience. I like this system of playing together more than playing in front of each other like an open mic. If I don't get that book by the next meeting, hopefully I will sit next to someone who does have it. I will also bring a chair like Art suggested. Do you guys have any summer party with the music playing and some food? If I owned a house and a yard, it would be a great idea to do a kani with some bbq. Ever think of doing it in a public park if no one can host in their home?

See you all in a couple of months.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

rodv18
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  11:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Braddah,
All you gotta do is arrange it...and they will come...like Art said..
no shame...its all about the Aloha Spirit...
Rod
Go to Top of Page

mark m
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rod,

Thanks for the advice, maybe I can arrange something by the end of the party. Is there any luaus or Hawaiian festivals here in CA during the summer? I need to get some ideas. By the way do you know anyone that plays music here in CV or nearby?

Mark
Go to Top of Page

rodv18
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  2:06:05 PM  Show Profile
brah...theres a bunch of 'em...most are looking to come out...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000