Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 First World Guitar Congress
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  01:27:38 AM  Show Profile
The First World Guitar Congress will be held in Baltimore, June 2-9, 2004. It's a long way off, I know. It is being organized by the same folks who have organized several successful World Cello Congresses and attracted people like YoYo Ma.

I first heard of it on a classical guitar forum and passed it on to a CG/flamenco luthier in Baltimore (C. Vega, he's also built a uke ). He was so enthused he immediately reserved an exhibition table and posted about the congress in a luthiers forum! He was very familiar with the cello congress. I think this will be big in 2004 and in years to follow.

So what?

"Many guitar styles will be featured including classical, country, jazz, rock, flamenco, etc." I want to see Hawaiian slack key have a significant presence at the congress. I think it is an important art form in world guitar music and needs to be included.

I haven't the slightest idea how to go about this.

Any ideas?

Here's the link, http://www.towson.edu/worldmusiccongresses/guitar.html

Pauline

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  11:04:43 AM  Show Profile
It looks like they are in the mode of searching for Sponsors (AKA $$$). I'll bet that, unless they get some sponsorship from somebody (like Dancing Cat), they won't give slack key players the time of day. That said, a friend of mine has talked to (interviewed, actually) Randall Kremer of the Smithsonian, who is on thge steering committee, and Kremer seemed accessible. Maybe drop Kremer an email (it should only be 1 email so he doesn't get annoyed) and suggest that he/the Congress is missing out on a whole genre of music. Also mention that Uncle Ray got an award from the Smithsonian several years ago.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000