Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Blues Instructional DVDs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  5:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, everyone!
This may be a little out of touch with the type of music that we typically discuss/enjoy in this forum, but I am interested in strengthening my blues chops. Has anyone tried one, or more, of the DVDs available for blues? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Mahalo,
Ben Sterling

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  04:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Bob Brozman has a three-DVD series on bottleneck blues. Top notch. I also have some older stuff on video by Keith Wyatt. He used to teach at GIT in LA and was (and maybe is) with the Blasters. I thought these were very good (for playing slide and fretted blues). I bought a lot of this way back, so I'm not sure where I got all of them. Also, Bruce Lamb has some very good stuff for blues (all kinds - Delta, Piedmont, etc) on his website, along with the great selection of Slack Key stuff. Stephan Grossman's site has a ton of stuff. Also check Elderly Music for videos, dvds and books
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Homespun Video; Roy ROgers, Chris smither, Keb Mo, lots of others.......Roy Bookbinder, Happy Traum has a great series

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  06:36:43 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Ben,

What style of blues are you interested in? If you're into Piedmont style, Home Spun Tapes and Bruce Lamb both have good series available. Stefan Grossman also has a ton of stuff available. Woody Mann is a very good instructor and has products available through Stefan. As for Home Spun Tapes, Happy Traum, Brozman and the rest of the folks listed on their web site are all tried an true. Rory Block's series is great. If you're interested in electric stuff, I can't help much, but I did get BB King'S video at the library and it was good, and so was Duke Roublillard's (not sure on the spelling). Ernie Hawkin's also has a new series on Rev Gary Davis, but be forewarned, this is complicated stuff. I haven's seen Mrs. Etta Baker;s series on Home Spun, but I've spent time with her and she's a great player if you're into Piedmont sytle (and and wonderful lady). Hope this helps.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  04:49:23 AM  Show Profile
Another source is a DVD by a guy maned Ainsley. He teaches the blues licks of Robert Johnson. Johnson played some impressive stuff back in '37.
I also have Bob Brozman's DVD and it is first rate. He cnocentrates on tecahing bottleneck technique and starts in G major (taro patch) tuning. This is a very good DVD
Ainsley's DVD will teach more fingered blues licks, and Brozman's will teach more bottlneck. Ainsley uses bottleneck but does not realy teach the technique. Both are good for different reasons.

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000