Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Babicz Guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  11:00:13 AM  Show Profile
http://www.jeffbabiczguitars.com/

Just saw these today in a local shop. Played an Identity Dreadnought. Was really blown away by the sound and feel. Anybody else ever seen and played one? Any opinions? (I know, mine counts the most), but I would be interested to know if there are issues.

I am leaning towards the Jumbo or Dreadnaught Cutaways, in Rosewood.

Mike

Aloha, Mike

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  1:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Never tried one, looks like you could also use it as a cheese slicer :-)

Lee
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  2:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Admittedly, a bit different looking. Try one out though, it may amaze you. The sound board technology is very intersting.

mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  4:52:40 PM  Show Profile
That Rosewood Jumbo Cutaway looks sweet! Wonder if it sounds as good as it looks!...cool.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  07:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
played one in Anchorage a few months back, could not really hear anything different wrt a regular guitar. But as you said, your opinion is the most important to you

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  07:46:18 AM  Show Profile
These guitars are featured in a current NYT Science article and it includes a video with sound. Frankly, I thought the sound, as heard on the video,was rather bright and tinny. But as others have already said, if you like 'em, you like 'em. BTW, I can't figure out why they are any different from a standard tailpiece.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/28/science/28acou.html?ref=science

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I don't understand the engineering concept behind the strings across the soundboard, but I'd be more interested in the adjustable neck.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  5:43:45 PM  Show Profile
The string angle is less than standard pegs (~90 deg). It just looks audatious. It is, in my opinion, the neck that makes them the most interesting. Play one if you can find one...they are fun.

mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Looks like an interesting concept and the description makes sense. As others have said, you are the only judge that matters. For me, I guess I'm more of a traditionalist type. The appearance alone, never mind the sound, is kind of wild for my taste. I also think about how difficult it might be to clean the dust off the top with all those strings in the way and does it use standard length strings? I'll have to see if I can find one just to see how they feel and sound. I won't be in the market for a new guitar for a while 'cause I just bought a new Taylor GS last week.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000