Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 lets go from squeaks to buzzes..lite gauge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danny Boy
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  09:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Danny Boy a Yahoo! Message
when a luthier says "light guage" strings only, it seems a little vague..every string maker is slightly different...

Is my guitar going to self destruct going heavier by .03" on the 6th string to stop buzz in open G tuning? or is a truss rod/neck tension adjustment a better plan?

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  10:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Normally a luthier wants lights because he/she is afraid of the bridge ripping off (slight exagggeration), or the bridge rotating towards the neck, and/or the top bulging, or a combination thereof, due either to light bracing or a thin top made of relatively weak wood (like Englemann).

So, neck adjustments do nothing for this. BTW, there is no such thing as a "neck tension adjustment", in my experience.

However, if you are going to *stay* in Taro Patch, or better yet, Leonard's C, an increase in 6th string size should not hurt anything. I offer no warranties.

Better yet, find out why and where it is buzzing, and fix that. Recently a friend had the same symptom. It turned out that, as it often does, that a fret had risen - nearly popped out. That happens most often in dry climates and is very common. A fret level often needs to be done every few years and is inexpensive and quickly done by a good tech.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  10:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Lots of times the lighter gages are to keep the top from becoming convex. When I got my Martin years ago, the luthier told me to use lights ( the top had dished out a bit, but went back to normal after I changed from mediums to lights ). A buzz might mean that your bridge and/or saddle need attention.
Go to Top of Page

Danny Boy
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  10:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Danny Boy a Yahoo! Message
thanks Reid..hard to sift through all of rumor and hearsay re: guitars. Normally I love to know all, but when it comes to this..I am happy to just buy pretty guitars and play them...Hooray for online forums
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  08:14:29 AM  Show Profile
Danny Boy,
Come by Kaisen's with your "Kika" of choice and have Bill look at it. He is a master and will make positive suggestions. The guys at Buffalo Brothers are also getting better at answering the "Slack Key Questions" and may also give good advice.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Danny Boy
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  11:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Danny Boy a Yahoo! Message
Good idea. I will take it back to BuffaloBros where I got it...they are usually pretty helpful...just didn't seem like they'd "get it" with me altering tuning, then complaining about it....
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:48:05 AM  Show Profile
Dan,
When you go back to BB (the place with the giant chicken on the roof), make sure to tell them what tuning you are using most often. You may need the truss rod adjusted slightly.
If you have a Taylor, you might take it to the factory. I had some other repairs needed on my Taylor K-22 (kids my daughters were babysitting got loose in the music room -- not a pretty story) so I took it back to El Cajon (Taylor Factory). I told them the tuning I was using the most often, the range of tunings I play in, and included a new set of the strings I like the most (Elixir, Phosphor Bronze, Nano Coating, Light Gauge). I just don't like the feel and sound of medium strings for slack key on that guitar.

Taylor reset the neck for free and adjusted the truss rod. Now the action is perfect, no more string buzz (unless I try to wail on the strings), and I love playing that guitar even more than I did before.

Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  07:42:18 AM  Show Profile
This is very interesting, and Reid's first response is spot on. Recently, my Taylor 810 began to acquire some buzzing and deadened sounds on the 1st & 2nd strings (bottom) near the 4th, 5th and 6th frets. Nothing I did seemed to fix it. I am the second owner and take very good care of my instruments. So I figured something historical was going on. Took it to my favorite shop that deals with Taylors. Turns out that my first 9 frets had "lifted" and were loose (though I could not tell!) and the saddle was leaning. He reseated the frets,crowned them, and replaced the saddle with a new Taylor version. It sounds WONDERFUL now!! To think I was almost ready to sell her. My guy said the same thing about dryness. The Taylor used to live in Texas, so I guess we now know. Take you guitar to a reputable repair person and have it rehumidified, look at the frets and saddle.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Danny Boy
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  3:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Danny Boy a Yahoo! Message
that is a good possibility...I think Kevin K at Buff Bros said My Goodall's original owner was in Idaho.
Bear in mind there is no evidence of any impending failure, the instrument looks perfect, and the buzz is mostly at near peak volumes.
I am still going to have it looked at.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  4:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Danny,
See you Tuesday at Kaisen's with your Goodall?

Go to Top of Page

Danny Boy
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  8:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Danny Boy a Yahoo! Message
working almost all tuesday nights this month. sept. should be better.
thanks for your offers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000