Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 software
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  04:26:05 AM  Show Profile
I use my iPod w/ iTalk to record jam sessions, classes etc, then download to iTunes on my eMac. I would like to be able to delete sections of the recordings, or cut them into smaller sections. Can anyone point me to software that is easy to use?
As a note: I have garageband which I thought would be really cool, but I went to the Apple store, took the class, and found that it is only useful if you actually do the recording through the computer - - not very practical at all.
Mahalo!
nancy

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  04:44:46 AM  Show Profile
Adobe Audition will let you edit the wave forms from mp3. It's fairly expensive, though. Check with Reid or Dave Nye; they know a lot about this stuff. Reid is familiar with Audition and helped me a lot. There are also freeware or shareware programs that can do this, although they might be somewhat limited
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  04:59:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the plug, Chunk. Actually, I have been using AA a *lot* lately and doing things I never thought posssible (including getting myself in and out of trouble desynching and resynching overdub sessions). More than you wanted to know, I guess...

Nancy, AA (now upgraded to 2.0) is both financial and technical overkill for what you want to do. Go Shareware or Cheapware - there are lots of simple editing programs out there for about $30 that will cut and delete sections of prerecorded music files. They will do lots else, too. One truly simple one I used long ago was Polderbits (made in The Netherlands - hence the name).

http://www.polderbits.com/recorder_uk.htm

However, since you are Mac user, I don't think this program will work for you. It doesn't say specifically, but I am pretty sure it is Wintel only. But take a look at the site and select the key words for googling and add "Mac" or "Apple" to the search string.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  05:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I use Garageband for editing stuff I record on my minidisc, but I use Audacity (free program) for editing on my PC. Although it's not a do-everything program, it's easy to cut stuff down to size. There are a number of Audacity clones out there, mostly all shareware.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  06:31:39 AM  Show Profile
Another thing to keep in mind is that the audio data must (usually)
be in non-compressed form for editing. iPod "native" format is an
Apple proprietary version of AAC, which is different than MP3 and it
may be hard to find decoders to convert to non-compressed form. The
other direction (converting to AAC) is, of course, built-in and easy.

This could be why you had trouble with Garageband. Apple has been
keeping a "closed source" proprietary lock on DRM (digital rights
management - i.e. copy protection) You probably need a separate Apple
AAC to Apple non-compressed converter (if you can find it).

If you cannot find an Apple AAC to non-compressed decoder then you
should record in non-compressed mode or mp3 on the iPod, rather than
the iPod native mode. These file forms should be easy to transfer
into the MAC and edit.

A Mac-centric techie person would be a better reference for these
issues as I am not a Mac abuser myself.

Of course, if quality is not of much concern, then you can play back
the iPod while recording in Garageband. Just connect the iPod head
phone output to the line input of your Mac!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/27/2006 06:43:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  06:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Nancy,

Since you already have Garageband, try this:

Once you download the jam session into iTunes, try dragging the iTunes track into a Garageband track. Once you have the file in Garageband, you can cut and edit it. I'm not sure what version of the Garageband software you have, but I frequently drag iTunes songs into Garageband to do editing.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  10:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Nancy!

quote:
I would like to be able to delete sections of the recordings, or cut them into smaller sections.

I think Darin's idea about Garageband might be easier, but you can do what you want within iTunes itself. I drag the file from iTunes to the desktop to make as many copies as I need (to break a file into 3 sections, I make 3 copies, etc), then return them to a dedicated playlist in iTunes (i.e., "Kaliko's Tuesday class") so I can adjust the copies. (There's probably some one-click way to do that, but I am not a computer guru - I messed around 'til I found something that worked and just stayed with it). Highlight the file you want to adjust, open "Get Info" under the iTunes File header, and then select "Options". Within options, you can set the start and stop times of the file. It retains the whole file, but only plays the section within those time parameters. So, for example, if I set the first copy to play from 0:00 to 10:00, then the second to play from 12:30 to 22:00, and the last to play from 32:00 to 40:00, I can click on the playlist and listen to the whole thing without the intervening segments.

It's pretty easy, really. If you need me to clarify, just let me know.

Me ke aloha,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  10:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh, oh. I'm beginning this is a gadget worth having.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  6:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Boo. I still have the problem that some of the class files are too big to send e-mail to others in the class.
Mahalo Darin. I tried garageband again... the files I wanted to try are grayed out - so not accessible... surely I can do it a different way.
I sure do appreciate EVERYone's input!!! And when I know exactly how to do it, I'll share.
By the way, iPod w/ iTalk is really excellent.... Those files are easy to share through e-mail as long as the particular service will handle the file size.
This really is fun, isn't it?
n
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  04:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Good luck Pua Kai!

Has anyone had an opportunity to demo one of these Belkin iPod recording devices? http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=277661

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  04:44:55 AM  Show Profile
Upon going to the website, it says, "coming soon". It looks like it's made for the newer big screen iPods. It should be good - better than the iTalk because of the stereo.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  04:41:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:

I use my iPod w/ iTalk to record jam sessions, classes etc, then download to iTunes on my eMac. I would like to be able to delete sections of the recordings, or cut them into smaller sections. Can anyone point me to software that is easy to use?
As a note: I have garageband which I thought would be really cool, but I went to the Apple store, took the class, and found that it is only useful if you actually do the recording through the computer - - not very practical at all.
Mahalo!
nancy

Nancy, you already have everything you need to produce smaller sections of your songs. Garageband is your answer (Please `ohana, do not ask me questions about using Garageband). Since you already have songs that you can play in iTunes, they can be imported to Garageband as follows; Open up Garageband. Create a new session. When you get the new session window, drag your song on to that window. It will take a few seconds to "convert". At the bottom of the page there is a button that looks like a pair of scissors with a waveform on each side. Click that and an editing window will open. When you highlight your track, the Waveform for that song will appear in the editing window. Play the song. To eliminate the parts you don't want, simply click/drag over that section to highlight it and hit the "delete" key. Each of the songs you still have left can be saved by highlighting them and using File>Save and/or they can be exported to iTunes with File>Export to iTunes.

That's it in a nutshell. No need to spend a bunch of money

Aloha,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  05:29:58 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Dave!!
I'll give it a try!!!
n
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  05:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I use Garageband in this way, too, but GB limits the length of the song. If you have 45 minutes in a single file, it will cut off the more than half of it. An easy way to do it is to put them in analog (hard wire from your recorder's output to the computer's audio input) stopping after each song trails off into applause or talking or whatever, then start another track for the next song. After you have all the songs on individual tracks, then edit each one, turning the other track volumes off, and export them individually.
Alternatively, you can put the whole thing into GB, then edit the first 15-20 minutes, then delete the first half of the long file and drag the second half of the file back to the beginning of the timeline. The second half is still available, but it's hidden on the timeline past the end-of-song marker of the timeline.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  06:55:04 AM  Show Profile
So when are you coming back down to show me?? Promise kanikapila when you do!! Mahalo nui, Jessie!!
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  6:30:31 PM  Show Profile
And I thought this was going to be about lingerie!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000