Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 8 string ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  9:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
does any such beast exist....an 8 string uke? Our Ukelele User's Group is now home to two infidel instruments; my guitar, and my friend's mandolin. He was wondering if there is an 8 string uke, he might feel more comfortable playing in the band. Me, I'll stick with the guitar (6 string bass uke)

Karl
Frozen North

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  05:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hey Karl,
Eight strings are common for strumming, a regular uke just with two strings on every course. Back in the day, small 8-strings were called a "taropatch".
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  11:33:05 AM  Show Profile
karl,

you can find plenty of them around these days. while not as ubiquitous as the standard 4 string variety, you can find examples in concert and tenor sizes fairly easily. baritones also exist, but are rarer. of course, you can always order one 'specially fo you. both tony graziano and ken potts make good ones. if you'd rather go the factory route, g string and kamaka make them too.

I find that they sound really nice. very good for solo playing for a hula group (which is what they and the 6 strings were originally made for). However, there is one drawback. with 8 strings, it does take a little more pressure for good intonation (but then again, I deathgrip my uke anyways). also, some makers now put octave strings on their instruments, to get a nice lower tone.

good luck,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  12:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Kamaka make one. Here's a link to a picture on Bounty Music's website. click here

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  2:51:19 PM  Show Profile
I have a Martin taropatch/8-str uke from the early-mid '20s. The nut is slotted for octave strings on G and C courses, unison strings on E & A. I believe this is original. I love playing this instrument!

I had a Martin tiple for a long time, but the octave-lower middle-of-three strings in the two center courses sorta threw me off; it's gone to a more appreciative home.

The 8-string functions great with "low G" Nylgut taropatch strings, though violin-type friction tuners require some subtlety and patience. "Taropatch fiddle" indeed
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Karl:

I have a Lanikai 8-string and just LOVE it! For a lower-end priced uke, it is a dream to play and sounds great. I've gotten many nice compliments when I've played it. The volume it creates is amazing. It's a great rhythm and strumming uke vs. a picking kind and would go for a 4 or 6-stringed uke if you are leaning towards doing more solos or picking. - Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000