Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Makers and Size Recommendations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  4:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, all,

Seeing that we have so many friends in one spot I'd like to ask your recommendations about two items. I've been playing a Fluke (concert model) for a few years now, and though I love it, I'm thinking of purchasing a wood model, say in the $400-$700 range. What do you all like in terms of makers (Kamakas, Koalohas, etc.) and what size (soprano, concert or tenor).

Mahalo for your input,

Pops
On the Great Lakes were it's getting cold

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  12:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Pops,

I have all 3 sizes, they each have their own characteristics. I have a Graziano Pineapple soprano, very sweet and portable, and easy to play because I have little fingers. (Very expensive, though.) It's small enough for me to stick in my giant purse and carry it on the plane to Hawai'i. But if you don't carry purses, it's not so important for you.

Then I had the great luck to be able to buy a Kamaka Koa concert from a friend from Aloha Music Camp, and I love it as well. A solid, well-built instrument, around $500 slightly used.

My husband has a Po Mahina tenor, made by our luthier friend Dennis Lake on Hawai'i, which is easy for him to play because he has big fingers. Check pomahina.com for prices, tell him Julie sent you! His tenors rule! I have a Po Mahina concert, which I love as well. They keep their tune and sound great. Then I also have a Mele Ukulele 6 string tenor, which is a bit more difficult to play and I get a buzz when I don't hold down the strings hard enough.

You can probably find something that works for you, but I suggest you try them out. I bought one brand and absolutely do not like it, never play it. I've also been tempted by ebay buys, but have decided if I buy anything at all, I have to be able to try it out. Maybe other people have better luck on ebay, I'm a touchy-feely gal, I must try it out. Trouble with ukes is: they are so darn cute and portable, it's hard to stop at one. It can become a collectible item. Maybe I should say Obsession! We're looking for a bigger house to try to accomodate our growing collection! Have fun shopping. Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  1:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Julie,

Thanks! Like you, I'm a bit weary of buying things sight unseen. I've never heard anything bad about a Kamaka, or an old Martin, if they've been cared for. It gets a little more confusing now that they are so many good luthiers out there. Thanks, again!

Pops
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000