Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Eddie Kamae and Sons of Hawai'i
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  03:11:29 AM  Show Profile
I just came home from a screening of a movie about the Sons of Hawai'i. Eddie Kamae and two of his friends, Bruddah Smitty and (aargh, I can't remember his name) were playing before the showing. What fun to see Eddie in person, strumming his ukulele and laughing and singing. The movie was touching, as it reviewed the history of the Sons of Hawai'i and such greats as Gabby, David "Feet" Rogers, Moe Keale, Joe Marshall, and contemporaries like the Rev. Dennis Kamakahi, Goege Kuo. It was a peek into history. We came away humming.
Took out my uke as soon as I got home and felt inspired and dumb at the same time.... Sigh. Catch it if you can. (The movie) Julie
Oh, and he played E Ku'u Morning Dew. Just lovely.

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  8:48:57 PM  Show Profile
Julie,

You lucky dog! I would have loved to have been there. Eddie and the Sons are the "wall of sound". Too cool!

Pops
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  01:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hi Julie,

thanks for the report, sounds like a good time.

Was there any mention of future screenings stateside?

I'm excited that Dennis kamakahi will be at George's Napili gathering next Spring!

Ross
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  02:46:20 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Ross,

No, I didn't hear of any more screenings, Eddie mentioned that they were going back to the Islands the next morning, so I assume no more mainland shows. Too bad... I am also excited about Dennis' appearance at George's workshop. As I waltzed up the the long line standing in front of the theater, who did I see but George himself, accompanied by the lovely Nancy. We got a chance to chat a little before the show. June seems like such a long way off, doesn't it? First big storm of the season coming in a couple of days. Sure am missing those balmy evenings under the cocopalms. Come on, June, come on, June.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  6:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

Just an informational note. I was at the Santa Cruz screening also and spoke to Eddie regarding where copies of his films (8) could be obtained. He said that the films were not for sale. He said that he took them to schools to share with the children. I believe that they have been shown on Hawaii PBS (don't bother calling, no one there knows how to get them either). I guess he wants to remain away from any question as to whether he makes any profit from these films and concentrate on passing on the information to the children. I can relate, but I wish you could get them somewhere. Otherwise, how are others going to preserve this information?

Aloha,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000