Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 E Huli Makou
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hulagrl_16
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  11:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see hulagrl_16's MSN Messenger address  Send hulagrl_16 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha,

I was looking to see if anyone knew of the story or background for the song E Huli Makou by David Chung. On huapala.org it says that it was written by the composer for the Old Kona Inn's luau. It was meant as a fun hula to dance to. On another site it says that this hula was a flirtatious hula that talks about when a man comes home from work and how his wife looks. I'm not too sure which explanation is correct and wouldn't want to guess. I want to make sure I sing and dance this hula in a way that pays its respect to the composer. So does anyone have any info?????

hulagrl_16

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  12:46:03 PM  Show Profile
I think this song is very strongly flirtatious perhaps a bit ribald.
( which is fine by me! )

Here is a link to one translation that you have probably already read.
(from the Huapala site you mention):

http://www.huapala.org/E/E_Huli_Makou.html

The makou referred to is "us two" (or an exclusive group) rather than
"all of us" which would be "kakou". So I read the tranlation as if it
were two people involved alone together, not a group (at least as I
understand it!). Read from that perspective you can see that it is
very suggestive.

Nevertheless I have seen in danced in public by Kane's with lots of
loud reaction from the wahine's in the audience!! (And vice versa).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/12/2006 1:12:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  8:02:47 PM  Show Profile
This is definitely a kolohe mele! Whenever this mele is played at any gathering here in the islands, the kupuna -- both male and female -- can be counted on to jump up and give the crowd a most _sassy_ hula.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  04:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

It could be more kolohe than you think ... mäkou refers to 3-or-more-of-us-and-not-you-guys. (If it were just the two of us, it would be mäua.)

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  06:44:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the correction Sarah.

Yes...

I guess you could say that this Hula might get an PG or NC-17 rating
(depending on how it is danced).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/13/2006 07:52:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  07:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Where's hapakid/Jesse? He's related to the composer, who just passed away not too long ago.

When our halau dances this, we often do it as couples, and the moves involve a lot of turn-around-so's-I-can-check-you-out activity (with appropriate facial expressions.) Definitely flirty...
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  10:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I can't offer any insight to this, but I would guess that this song is exactly what it seems to be, a simple song meant to move the dancers along, plus some flirting language for fun. This apparently was written when he was young and probably isn't layered with much more meaning than is apparent. Later in life, Uncle David was more known for his falsetto singing and romantic ballads he wrote, including "Nahenahe" and "Kau'ionalani".
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  5:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha,

This song was written in a hurry by the late David Chung. It was originally written for children to perform with an ipu. It was meant to be very simple hula because the dancers were going to perform it the very next evening. It became a party favorite, particularly with our kupuna. Like many other Hawaiian songs it simply evolved to have fun. Hawaiians have a true gift in this. Many of our elders like to "express themselves" particularly after a few drinks while enjoying them selves at backyard/carport parties. There are many versions, with verses created spontaneously to "inspire" those depending on their...nature you might say.

Aloha,

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  11:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Wow!! I still maintain the ability to kill a thread!

Ray
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  2:04:17 PM  Show Profile
an art form
Go to Top of Page

hulagrl_16
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see hulagrl_16's MSN Messenger address  Send hulagrl_16 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo to all for your wonderful responses. Your information has really helped me in doing what I do best, and that is singing and dancing hula. This was one of the first songs that I learned as a hula dancer from my mother and tutu. Mahalo nui loa.

O wau no me ka ha'aha'a,
Kanani
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  4:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Hula girl,

You like this song too . This was the first song I learned in Hawaiian. I was going to direct you to huapala until I read beyond your headline. Another great message board is http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org. A lot of artist relatives come in with histories, this might lead you to a source. Good luck on your search and remember to come back in here and post when you find it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000