Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Chicken skin moment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  01:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Now - before you read this - I want you to know it is true. I have found out since then, thanks to Ray Sowder, Auntie Maria, and many others, I have found out what the mystery song is. After they told me what song, I checked the CDs that we have and did find we have three versions of the song, all instrumental, so that is why I did not know the words. I still have unanswered questions about what the computer glitch was, how it could have happened at all, and what significance it has. I would welcome your feedback, please.

I was at work, doing quality assurance for the Department of Defense at a contractor in Cleveland, OH, who makes critical safety jet engine parts. It was lunch time and I wqas searching the net for some recipes from the Food Network web site. I found a few recipes that I wanted to print out from Rachael Ray’s 30 minute meals. I printed the first recipe, no problem. I printed the second recipe, again no problem. Then I tried to print the third recipe, and that is where the pilikia began. Some goofy thing happened to the computer. The screen on the monitor blanked out and the printer stopped printing. Sometimes weird computer stuff like that happens, so you do what you do in any situation like that – you hit the back browser arrow. So, that cleaned up the mess – it displayed the recipe on the screen once more and the printer started printing the recipe. Or so I thought. Some hiccup must have happened. It only printed at the top of the page, the web site header information, just like it does any time you print something from a web page. Then it printed two lines of what I took as “computer gobbledygook”. You know, when it printes that machine code looking stuff with smiley faces and other strange symbols. So, I pulled the sheet out of the printer and decided to restart the computer in hopes of fixing the problem. Then I took a closer look at the sheet of paper that printed out. I looked at the mysterious two lines again and realized it was actually not machine code after all. It was two lines of something written in the Hawaiian language. Now how would a Defense Department employee in Cleveland, Ohio know that was Hawaiian language? Well, I love Hawaii and Hawaiian people and Hawaiian hearts and Hawaiian music. I noticed that the first line of gobbledygook was a line in probably 90% of Hawaiian songs – the infamous “Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana”. Right away, I knew it was a Hawaiian song. I did not recognize the last line, though. Only the last word “mikinolia”. Oh, I know this I thought. I was just listening to a CD in the car that morning by Keali`i Reichel about “Pua Mikinolia”. However, when I checked the lyrics on the CD insert, that was not the song. Keali`i’s song did not have the “ha`ina”. Oooh boy. Gave me chicken skin. So, I did a lyrics search on the internet and came up with nothing other than the words of “Pua Mikinolia”. I thought my aumakua was telling me to write one Hawaiian song or something. Matter of fact, I had been working here and there on a poem in the olelo as a tribute to Puakea Nogelmeier, whom I met earlier in the year at a hula and language workshop in Twinsburg, OH. More chicken skin. Someone was telling me to write a song, and even giving me some words for it. Lunch hour was over and I had to get back to work. I couldn’t wait to get home that evening to share this situation with my husband. Wow! Gave him chicken skin, too. Especially since we had both just finished reading Keola Beamer's "The Shimmering". We tried to use logic to figure out how, in the midst of printing some innocuous recipes from the Food Network’s web site, a couple of lines of Hawaiian language would become interspersed into a page with Food Network’s header and footer on the page. We discussed the situation with my brother-in-law, who has a masters degree and works as a computer geek for a very large car insurance firm here in the Cleveland area. He had absolutely no explanation (as I have found to be the norm when dealing with weird computer problems – the IT geeks never have an explanation). Therefore, I have decided that my explanation of a message from aumakua is as good as anything.

Since you folks are experts on Hawaiian language and music and poetry, I thought I would ask you to help me explain this phenomenon and track down what elusive song this is. It is not one with which I am familiar. It is not one for which we have a recording. Is it part of a song that I am supposed to write? Should I go with the flow?

Here are the two lines of the song:

Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana
Ka ulua 'ume'ume mikinolia

Please kokua. Mahalo.
Me ke aloha,
Malama pono,
Wanda Certo
Cleveland, OH

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  01:56:38 AM  Show Profile
E Wanda e, aloha kaua,

You didn't say the song, Papakolea! Now as to how it came out of your machine... definitely had to be your 'aumakua talking to you, no other explanation. I would take it as an arrow pointing to that song :-)

Reid plays an instrumental version, and Ozzie has a nice instrumental tab that he gave out at the first Aloha Music Camp in 2001. BUT, Auntie Genoa Keawe has recorded it, singing -- you can learn from that! :-)

You can listen to a clip here:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/genoa+keawe/by+request/

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  07:24:47 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Sara. Boy, you are pretty good. I deliberately did not say the name of the mele to see if anyone else knew it. Since I have 3 instrumental versions of the mele, I had never heard the words. Now that I have looked them over, I frankly do not see why my attention was directed to it. However, my mama didn't raise no fool. There is a reason I am supposed to know about it...even though I do not yet understand that purpose.

I still do not understand how those two lines could have printed out in the middle of a document from some other web site. Moreover, if it had happened to anyone else around here, they really would have thought it was machine code or something, because they would not have recognized the `olelo. I am not very computer savvy so it must seem even more strange to me, but I would love to figure out the mechanics of how it could happen.

Have you read Keola Beamer's book "The Shimmering"? It is full of wonderful short stories -- some chicken skin stories and some kohole. Make me buss up laughing.

Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  08:17:51 AM  Show Profile
Words and translation are at:

http://www.huapala.org/Papakolea.html

I play Ozzie's version (sorta - I don't do it note for note) of Sonny's version from Sonny Solo. You can hear a clip of it at:

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/sonny+chillingworth/sonny+solo/

It is a very interesting piece as each section is begun by the same measure, sort of announcing the change. It also has a killer bridge.

So, Wanda what is it telling you? Maybe you have to go to Papakolea to find out. Papakolea, the place name, also occurs on other islands, but this is obviously near Honolulu. It means Plover (Kolea) Flats.

Let us know what you find out.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000