Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Cheap, functional ukes and ideas for kids?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  6:00:07 PM  Show Profile
So,
my third school in my new job is the "hippy dippy school"...
In desperation I'm considering something for my 4th, 5th, and maybe 6th graders...
the 4th are too small to handle even a 3/4 size violins trombones, and such...
I tried to reason with the team teachers who argued for "traditions", and due to inexperience I caved in and let them start band and orchestra in 4th.
In my more well to do mountain schools, almost all can afford to rent or buy, and get the appropriate size for their age...but very few rent at HDS...
!/2 size are not really available, and 3/4 are a total of 2 violins, and they are too big for most 4th graders.
Almost all qualify for free lunch...which theoretically means a free instrument...but there's not enough...
while it's nice to encourage exploration, it should be a positive experience for the most part.
So...
What about a ukulele program for the 4th graders?
How much would it cost to provide 20 or 30 ukuleles for the undersized and underpriviledged?
What brands, etc.?
Then I could focus on the bigger kids who think they need to explore euphoniums and trombones etc...
If the ukes ever caught on, they might even trikle up to the high school! With dropped G, they have the shapes and patterns of guitar--minus the bottom strings.
This School is K-12...
they do wilderness, camping and hardly any traditional homework,,,'
Any ideas?
Every other "regular, traditional" instrumental teacher moves on after 1 insane year...
I would prefer to innovate, and have us all havin a good time while we learn.
Frustrated Hippy in Colorado.
P.S. I need to prepare some sort of program by Dec 14th for "PEACE NIGHT", so what songs and programs (especially Hawaiian or Californian) can I model after...if any?
g

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  08:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Couple of thoughts:

The `ukulele is a great school instrument -- just ask anyone who lives in Hawai`i! "Cheap" instruments are often that, but I've seen decent ukes for as little as $30 retail (Lark in the Morning sells some at that price. The problem is every other one is junk...). I have a very decent Hilo concert that retailed for $40. So take that as the upper figure.

I'm sure you could get bulk school deals from any number of sources -- you might try Elderly Intruments since they actually know what a decent uke should sound like, as opposed to some online stores I can think of. (No names -- some call them Munchkin Fiend...)

At the risk of going off topic -- you might consider cardboard dulcimers for the 4th and 5th grades. The kids can have the experience of making them, and they are very easy to learn. It's easier for young kids to grasp playing melodies on a dulcimer than learing chords.

Tons of schools have done it. They are remarkable sturdy, fun, and sound very good, believe it or not.

Anyway, here's a site that does all kinds of cardboard instruments, including ukes: http://www.musikit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=cardboard

And here's Backyard Music, as far as I know the originator of the cardboard dulcimer: http://www.backyardmusic.com/About_Dulcimers.html

Another idea would be to make a bunch of other instruments from recycled stuff. That's what I spent the 80s and 90s doing. I helped kids build tin-can dulcimers, bleach bottle banjos, washtub basses, flutes, fiddles, and all manner of percussion instruemnts. Big fun -- and most definately NOT BORING. My book, "You Can Teach Yourself to Make Music With Handmade Musical Instruments) on Mel Bay is out of print -- but copies are findable in libraries and on eBay. Lot's of other books out there, too.

I'll leave it to others to suggest peace songs... but "Give Peace and Chance," "Get Together," Dona Nobis Pacem" & "Peace Train" surely top the list.

good luck!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  04:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Gordon:

I am also looking at a similar program here in Eugene. If you find a good source for ukes, please let me know. Thanks, Mark for your suggestions as well. - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  11:34:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to Mark and Maggie for the ideas and thoughts.
Also, Kona Bob contacted me.
My first priority is to locate 4 3/4 size violins in our large system, and a flute.
After the "regular" style program for 4th and 5th graders is in motion...
then I hope to hold to my dreams and delusions of a little ukester madness.

After some initial skepticism about HDS, I have found this young students have a very insightful way of looking at things, and asking higher level questions than one might expect at the more "didactic" schools.
If something actually works well, it would seem it might have the capability to cross over to more traditional schools and their sludged up systems of getting good scores for the legislature to hold up, or scold.

James Hill at Kaman Distribution Sup has been mentioned as a place with discount ukes--but haven't managed to reach them back east yet...
And Mark's assessment of cheap ukes is my concern...
usually out of tune, impossible to tune and/or get decent sounds and intonation--with poor construction would seem likely with MOST low cost ukes...
but maybe there's an exception or two!
If I find the exception, I have higher interest in ukes than dulcimers at this point...

But thats after the sax and violins get roasting--I mean coasting, and hopefully I'm not toasty.

Probably won't be for this year's Peace night...
but maybe later in Spring!?

Must muffle some of the manic moments, yet be creative.

Kaman dist. phone #1-800=813-1634
I guess James Hill is a substantial player, and has interest in educational programs...

Anybody ever written a grant?
And gotten it?

Hey, incidently, I get high-speed dial-up this week, and the Mac has been cleaned up and souped up...
waiting for the modem, and Godot.
So, maybe I'll feel more like checking e-mail and posting in the patch...barring too much Sax and Violins.

Maggie, drop a line sometime and maybe we can brainstorm about ukes, basses and music...

Hey, KB, are you in Denver this weekend?
Maybe we'll see snow--yikes, and how about meeting up and I'll do the Mai-Tai food challenge and you can drive me to the ER?
Actuallly, we'll come down your way if ya got a minute on your whirlwind stopover and I'll bring some Kona beer.
Aloha
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  6:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Gordon!

Thanks for your thoughts! I wrote you an email direct, so check it out, ok? Talk to you soon, my friend!

Aloha,
Mags
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  07:17:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:
But thats after the sax and violins get roasting--I mean coasting, and hopefully I'm not toasty.
But at least they won't be on TV... as you may already know, there is nothing worse than Sax and Violins on TV!

Good luck with your several schools...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/25/2006 07:18:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  07:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Gordon!
Do you need to provide all the instruments? John Dietz here rents the instruments for the school year, obviously at school rates - so probably there is a music store doing the same for other schools near you. Have fun with this!!! And no eat mango.....
n
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  6:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Well, there's several decent stores and we do rental night...
it's like having personal assistants...who of course make their money, but still are great help.
At the HDS...which incidently, is maybe Hippy, but NOT DIPPY,
but with more than half on free lunch, that theoretically means a free instrument rental from our schools...but I can't find enough of the small violins and flutes, and meanwhile the clarinets and brass sit waiting to be adopted.
Wednesdays instruments.

Thanks to Maggie for the howdy,
to Lawrence for chirpping in with that Menlo Park good humour, and to Mark and all.

I keep trying to call the uke place back east after work... at 4 pm MDT...future tense, past tense, present tense...
Don't Panic.
gotta think ahead.
Sincerely,

BB Rebozo
(so I Bozoed once, then I Bozoed again).

Thoughts are Chirp.
The Merry Chirpster.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 09/27/2006 6:54:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000