Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Henry Kamae - Gardena CA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  05:37:31 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
I think I've posted about Bob's Ohana before, but thought I'd mention it again. Bob's Ohana Okizuye on Vermont in Gardena is a typical down-home Hawaiian restaurant w/ local food,including a bit of sashimi, sushi and manapua. Every Thursday night Geri and other gals play and dance... sorry I don't know the names. And every Friday night Henry Kamae, Pete Kahele, Tommy, Junior, Roger, Joe, Richard, Rick, and occasionally Pat Enos play and sing wonderful collection of old and new Hawaiian songs. it isn't slack key, but it's a wonderful totally encompassing feeling of aloha and ohana. Of course you can't beat dinner and a live show for 2 for under $20 (that includes a Big Tip). The festivities for both evenings run from 4:00 - 8:00. And the end of course is Hawai'i Aloha, and then hugs and "be safe" all around. No libations served, so driving home is no problem. It is located very close to the terminus of the 91 fwy at the 110 - -
Last night Uncle Henry was talking about playing at the Big Hula Competition up in Pleasanton (?) I think in November. He worked on 9 songs he will be playing for a halau from down here that is competing. He's been before and says the Aloha is really something and there is a great community of Hawaiians and other ohana with terrific enthusiasm and spirit. I know many of you will also be attending.
Enjoy!
nancy

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  07:32:57 AM  Show Profile
...to anyone who's never heard Uncle Henry play you will be in for a treat. Uncle has the classic Hawaiian singing voice. BTW, he is also Eddie Kamae's uncle, and related to Auntie Genoa as well...good pedigre. He is also one of the nicest persons you would ever meet. Uncle will also be at next months 5th Ukulele Festival in Cerritos next month. At this past E Hula Mau, he was recognized and presented an award for his musical contributions, as well as his grandmother I think.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000