Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 A Magical Tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  3:09:00 PM  Show Profile
A magician practice for hours to trick the human mind and eye's, some do card trick's for fun, and others fall under a magical spell that will remain with them for the rest of there lives. This is just, what happened on this magical tour for the Brown Ohana.

It all began on August 30 leaving Maui arriving in Oakland, two generous friends from Maui offered there apartment and brand new pathfinder for us to use while touring in California. ( mahalo Tom and Francesca.) and can't forget Al who picked us up from the airport and took us to Los Altos where our home would be for the next 2 weeks.

Two day's later Kawik's ( ilio nui.) takes me to a kanikapila at the Kim's home. ( Rob.) What a wonderful time, the food, the artist that came, and especially Rob's dad Robert, what a gifted musician, there was a lot of old hawaiian songs being sung the day. Mahalo Kawik's and to the Kim Ohana. Rob please thank your sister for preparing the food. ( saturday the 2nd.)

That night my wife and son flew in, Al went to pick them up, came back, and rested for the long journey to garberville. Before the garberville performance, I talked with my friend Fran who was going to have to put up with us for the next 2 weeks, he offered to drive us to and from the gig's becuase we were not familiar with the area's and would've probably missed all the gig's if we drove. What a special person, he would leave walnut creek drive to los alto's pick us up take us to our gig's come back drop us at the apartment then he would drive back to walnut creek, and this is how it went for the next 2 weeks. we offered fran to stay and wanted to pay him for going out of his way, but he said driving us around and spending time with us was better then gold or money. We had a nick name for fran, we called him the "Skipper" and Ikaika called him, "U...eee". Thank you Lynn for sharing your husband knowing it was a busy week for all of you.

Garberville Sunday, was a long drive, but worth every minute, the sights were beautiful and so were the people. Fran posted about the event. I agree Michael, Marybeth and Mark were great! had some backflash of Lark Camp.

Day off on Monday, got familiar with los altos area drove up and down San Antonio dr. and El Camino what a beautiful place. Estralleta's some "ono" Mexican food.

Tuesday, Sacramento Borders another long drive, well for us coming from hawaii anything half n hour or longer is "Very Long" I know everyone is use to the long drives to and from work, I heard some travel 2 hrs just to get to work, another 2 to get back. We finally reach Borders and could'nt believe the crowd that was waiting. I was wondering where some of the hawaiians move to? Didn't even know we had family there until that night. And yes fran drove us there and back and then went back to his home.

Wednesday, Don Quixote's Santa Cruz, we walked in and thought we were back in Hawaii, the decorations on stage was beautiful felt like we were home. Thank you Julie and Larry for making us feel at home. Met up with some friends that I havn't seen for over 30 years since the "Waiheu Son's" day's, it brought back some old memories.

Thursday, Sonoma St. University, We had some taropatch ohana's there, jim, ross, allen, and bill, thank you for taking some time off from work to slip in some slack key performance, and also to the student body of the "Huskies" .

Friday and Saturday we got to relax which my wife really enjoyed, we asked her to come on this tour just so she could be a part of it, we told her gig's first and shopping after, well we got 2 days off and boy the shopping took a lot out of Ikaika and I, we worked the hardest walking the mall's with my wife then the last 4 performances we did, but still special having her there. Ikaika and I made it up by going to frans house that saturday night for a wonderful kanikapila and meeting some wonderful musicians. ( jus like a mini lark camp.)

Then Sunday the 3rd, the performance we were waiting for, Little Fox not knowing what to expect, we were there last year, but this year would be special, we get to grace the same stage with the Kamakahi's. Walking on stage and looking at the crowded room we knew it was time and that this is what we were waiting for all these months. Ikaika and I went on first then Dennis and David, after there awesome performance, we gathered together as one ohana and then the "Magic" started. We had no time to rehearse or talk about what we were all going to do together on stage because, they flew in the night before and we were in different parts of California. The sound guys came late so we went through the sound check and next thing you knew the doors open. It was a special night that brought the Kamakahi's and the Browns together as one, from the opening number it was like we played together for years, We each took turns, between ikaika and i we did a lot of dennis composition, looking over to the side and seeing the composer next to us was a feeling that cannot be explain but just being "Pure Magic". Mahalo Patrick for putting it all together, For all of you that support slack key and hawaiian music, Andy for this wonderful site that keeps us informed and in touch with eachother. Mahalo a nui loa! To the open mic artist on tuesday, you were all great! Dennis and David looking forward to many more performances together.

The Brown Ohana......( fran you the man!)

Kevin K. Brown

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  03:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Glad you had such a great time, Kevin, and I'll bet the people who heard you and were with you had a great time, too. And it is so nice that Joleen could come along and see what it is all about on Moku Honua.

Hope there is much more, too.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  04:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The day I first met Mr. Brown at the legendary Waihe`e jam (thanks, Keith!!) back in 2004 changed my life - and definitely for the better. I learned two great lessons - the true meaning of nahenahe, and "the quieter you play, the harder they listen." When we got home I told my wife I wanted to move to Maui, rent the cheapest room I could find, and follow Kevin around and soak up his knowledge and his personality, that doing so would help me make the shift from haole wannebe slack key faker to real musician. But I was too shy, too concerned that I would be imposing, too chicken, whatever, and that idea never came to pass. After these past days I realize that my first instinct was absolutely true. I can't imagine a better education, in music and in life, than spending time with Mr. Kevin K. Brown.

Sir, words cannot express ...

Do you think you can learn about a person by meeting his family? Meeting Jolene and Ikaika raised Uncle even higher in my estimation. His wife is beautiful, funny, energetic, wise, warm, and an Olympic class shopper. She's got supervisory skills, a wicked wit, and can charm the tires off an 18 wheeler. I fell completely under her spell - and she fell for our doggie.

Ikaika is another of my new favorite people ever. I would expect a young man in his early twenties, with years of fame already behind him, with abundant talent and movie star looks, to be just a bit egotistical, wouldn't you? Well this guy just didn't get the memo about tempermental artists and swollen heads. He's kind, and considerate, and thoughtful, and generous. He _really_ loves music and seems to be able to play anything he hears, instantly. And he's lots of fun to hang with, because he's smart and funny and insightful in the best way.

So I didn't get much sleep, and I spent a lot of time behind the wheel, but I feel like I've never been richer. By my calculations, I owe Patrick about $300 for letting me take this gig. I owe the Browns more than I could ever repay.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  04:52:56 AM  Show Profile
Fran, you learned just what we learned about 10 years ago. Kevin (along with Uncle Sol) is responsible for changing our lives - truly. Kevin is the reason we do what we do every day of our lives. Some of it has been kinda expensive :-) like the guitars and the trips, but every penny and second have been repayed.

To add just one bit about Joleen's talents: we stopped into the supermarket where she works just to say hello. She had just returned after recovering from an injury. So, she holds a conversation with us, rings up customers at lightning speed, makes them happy with a conversation with them, some customers change lines to come over to where we are and welcome her back - all this at the same time. That's true Aloha multitasking.

Reid (Charter member of the Brown `Ohana Fan Club)
Go to Top of Page

Michael Arago
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  5:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Eh Bruddah Kevin,

So good to hear the tour after the Kmud Luau went so well, sorry we didn't get to meet your wife. You and Ikaika made this year's luau really special. Both my mom, dad and sister Phyliss felt this was the best they had been to, this was their fourth. Thanks also to Fran for getting these guys up here, it's not an easy place to get to.

Glad you liked our set, when you've got a guy like Mark sitting in with you how can you sound bad ? Kinda like the set MB and I played at Caspar with you sittin in with us, which was really special for us.

You really touched alot of people up here on the North Coast this summer, many who hope to see you up here again. Next year will be Kmud's 10th Luau, judging from fellow TP'ers response to the show at the Little Fox, an ideal bill would be a Brown/ Kamakahi billing.

Thanks so much for sharing your time, music and Aloha,

Michael and Marybeth

Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  2:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Kevin,

I'm glad the tour went so well, If you ever want to come to Ohio, just let me know. I can probably get some gigs together and Terry and I would love to see you and repay you for your hospitality.

Peace to you and your family,

--Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000