Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Should I buy a junior guitar for easier positionin
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  07:51:26 AM  Show Profile
Mea ho omaka and Claudia,

Could you please let us know how this turns out? The situation has been rather unusual, and we like to know the answers to mysteries.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  09:13:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mea ho omaka (and Claudia)...

...for the reference to the Ukulele Cabaret.

Nice site, and you have a lovely voice Claudia.

It is a pity that all these folks are playing a Hawaiian instrument, but I could not find any Hawaiian songs or tunes on the site. The closest thing I found was a rendition of John Prine's "Talk Dirty in Hawaiian", which is a funny song he wrote after his first trip out.

It would be good idea to show up and play some real mele, e Claudia!

Smaller guitars with shorter scale lengths do make sense these days.
The original reason for the large body guitars was to increase acoustic volume (loudness), especially in the lower registers. Now that most everyone plays amplified in peformance (with a mic or plugged in), the absolute loudness of the instrument is not so important. Take, for instance the Hui Aloha CD from Dancing Cat, where the famous Dennis Kamakahi mostly plays a baby Taylor. Sounds fine on the recording!

I mostly play Dreadnaughts, but I am looking at buying one of those new shorter scale but "standard size" Taylors, because my hands get tired quickly on these big guitars. (even though I have big hands)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/10/2006 11:04:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  10:01:02 AM  Show Profile
A smaller guitar is always a good choice these days, although our main guitars (including our absolute fave) are all 15" lower bout OM sized (even if not actually OMs).

We have 2 0 sized guitars, one 14 frets and the other 12 frets to the body, the latter with a short scale. And we have a 00 sized 14 fretter, too. They give up very little in sound volume to most of the OM sized guitars, because they have other attributes that contribute to the sound - like a surprising amount of air/body volume (remember, Martin squished the upper bouts to help get the 2 free frets, and the 0 body is long) and the bridge is in the "sweet spot" in the middle of the lower bout on the 12 fretter. Again, Martin and their imitators moved the bridge up toward the sound hole to help get the free frets. The tone on these guitars is swell, too, and the fretting with the shorter scale is quite nice on the aging hands and fingers. Plus the fretboard is moved closer to the front of my face and my failing eyes (and failing cervical vertebrae) so I don't have to twist my neck so much.

For Sarah, the sweet young thing, it doesn't matter much, physically, which she plays. But we got rid of our very nice Dread years ago. Totally unmanageable for both of us.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  4:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Lawrence for your sweet compliment! Glad you enjoyed the Ukulele Cabaret site. I indeed have done a couple of Hawaiian songs at the Cabaret, but the producer has scores of clips and cannot put them all up. I'll make a special request at the next show....

Returning to the "junior" guitar thread - I am 5'1" and have tiny hands and yet I am happy with my dread and OM guitars. In an insecure moment, I did buy a short-scale 000 Martin, but really, with lots of practice, my hands are finally making the stretches I want at this stage in my slack key playing and I don't "need" the short scale nearly as much I thought I would. I actually play the dread the most! So I haven't been drawn to the junior size.
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  4:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Claudia:

Just watched the videos on Ukulele Cabaret. You have a pretty voice indeed! I also enjoyed Amy Gordon's broadway style of entertainment and her excellent ukulele techniques. It was pretty entertaining. I also liked Paul Hilder's music.

Mahalo's for introducing me to that site!
Glenn
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  03:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Menpachi Man!

Yes, I agree that the Paul Hilder clip on Ukulele Cabaret is very good. Paul is a charming British fellow who plays a mean blues ukulele and he won First Place in the Open Mic Competition at the New York Ukulele Fest last spring. His prize was a beautiful KoAloha ukulele!
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  6:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Claudia sorry to take a moon to post back. I can work long hours some times. I sure would like to meet up with you but after I learn a little. I know nothing, zip, -zip as a matter of fact LOL. I have just been so busy. Thank you for the very kind offer will absolutely take you up on it when I know some of the basics.

I think I have heard you sing at the Hawaii cultural foundation picnic in central park, you do have an incredible voice. And it was such a treat to hear Hawaiian language songs in central park. I actually asked a few people if your group performed locally.

How is everyone else getting audio on that site? I tried to get audio on two different computers, no luck. I will come back at yah Claudia thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000