Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 WHERE'S KARL MONETTI ??!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey All, has anyone seen or heard from Karl???? Has he fallen prey to polar bear or something? Where is the Slack-key Snowman...
Hey Karl, you out there?! Karl?.... Karl?...Kaaarrrlllllll, (cough-cough) K-Karl....(getting weaker, weak... must find ka...cough-cough...gasp....)
Bark bark-bark, what Lasie?...Bark-bark-Arf, what is it girl? BARK-BARK,, Grrrrr, Karl's trapped in a well??? ARF-ARF, go find him girl...go find Karl....Bark-Bark-bark-bark.
~slkho

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  11:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
gurglegurglegasp....still.....here......gasp.....trying to live through......gasp...this retirement...thing. thought it would be easy, but.....gasp.....loving wife extended honey-doo list to 3X.....then,......gasp.. to 5X when i told her i was going to Molokai for a week in February without her.....gasp.
Some people just can';t take a joke!
Hey, Rik, I been around, you just haven't been hearing me 'cause i havent had much to say lately. I'm smiling too much for words! Now i play guitar both morning and night, every day, doing lots of stuff on "the list", got ready for winter just yesterday, and the snow came today, so all is well.
I will be building a couple more travel guitars this winter... a couple people at the guitar camp i went to in August wanted one each and a friend just asked last week for one also. I hope this doesn;t get like your ipo business, where you don;t have time to do your own stuff!
Hope all is well with you and your plans for Denali are still in place for next summer. Let me know

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  5:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Eh, Karl! My Uncle told me that retirement is for "catch-up" for the rest of your life that you wasted while working fulltime. Wear out too many strings, sing til you're hoarse, build too many guitars! Don't forget to visit us down in Seattle!
Kory an' da ki ho'alu gang (or is it da Spam mususbi gang?)
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  5:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about the misspelling of "musubi", I started drooling on the keyboard.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  06:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Gramps!! YOUR ALIVE!!! Thank goodness, I was thinking all those bochi ball tournaments at the Igloo Retirement Home Recreation Center were filling up all your time. Nice to know you didn't end up as a Polar Bear's steamy pile on some ice flow as well. ha ha ha I keep forgetting you retired, and weren't elbow deep in some bovine checking for tempretures. ha ha
Glad to know your enjoying your retirement too much w/ Slack Key playing and guitar making. WOW music morning-noon-night...must be nice...your living the dream dude! You know if the guitar making pursuit doesn't work out you can always sell them as snowshoes. yuk-yuk
Careful on the guitar making, just like doing the Ipu's, it can be a very consuming endeavor. At least your not on a beach, walking around sweeping a metal detector looking for trinkets.
Exactly how does one prepare for winter in Alaska...isn't never winter there??? How many snowman molds can one person make?
Denali still looks good... I'll probably end up being guided up there, which isn't too bad considering the mountain. 20,000 ft. is loooooooooong way. Yikes! Not sure which route yet, West Ridge, or the usual tourist trudge...either way its going to be one cold s.o.b. Maybe I'll do the 'ol chilli pepper in the boots thing. ha
Talk to you later old man...I said TALK TO YOU LATER OLD MAN.. I said Talk.....oh never mind, your hearing aide is off again isn't it?
~slkho
p.s. the tempreture plummeted to a bone chilling 75 yesterday BBBBRRRR-rrr, I actually had to wear a tank top AND flip-flops while mowing the lawn. ha ha ha
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  9:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Ha! You gotta mow the lawn! Our grass stopped growing 6 weeks ago.
Geting ready for winter mostly involves gathering up all the stuff you might want to use over the next 7 months before it gets covered with snow. Includes things like firewood, chain saws, bikes, sports equipment other than snowshoes or skis, kids, dogs, etc..
Come the end of April you would find all this stuff again anyway, but it is nice to at least have an idea where it is for peace of mind.
Actually could have made a snowman yseterday with our first snow. It was warm enough to pack...most of the time when it snows here the temperatures are too cold and the snow is just dry powder that won't pack worth a darn. It drifts nicely, but i know of noone who knows how to make one drift into a snowman shape!
Just wait, wise guy. when you are up there shivering your buns off on Denali, hallucinating, cursing the wind and snow gods and probably the guide as well, i'll be comfortably ensconced on the back dack, plucking some John Keawe tune on the 12 string, warm, dry, happy, in no danger of falling off anything. If i cut a few thousand trees to the west of me i could actually get a look at Denali and imagine you up there in your snow cave, icicles dripping from your nose, lips of blue, hands hard as rocks, feet frostbit, wind raging around you and your sorry butt up there, waiting for the bus to take you back down. YOu will be dreaming of mowing the lawn in tank top and flip flops. I will NOT be dreaming of climbing the mountain.
At any rate, when your are done and need a big hug and a warm wood stove to sit on top of for a few days, come over to North Pole and recoup for a few days. I promise I will treat you better in person than i do on this forum
Funny about the metal detector...i just picked up a large magnet on wheels from a friend. We are going to try to get a broken part out of a neighbor's tractor's transmission without pulling the whole thing apart. I think this mgnet is actually used for trinket acquisition. Say, how do you know so much about that anyway...been out there yourself, haven't you!
YOu have any pictures of your ipus? Web site, maybe?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  04:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Chainsaws!!!??? Saaaay didn't you play 'Leather Face' in that movie down in Texas?...
Yes, it will be cold up there but I got my cozy -40 sleeping bag, awwhh, what luxury. Just keep the hot cocoa coming pal when I get there. I'll mail you some pic's of the ipu's.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  07:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I have a great mental picture of you hopping up the mountain in your cozy sleeping bag

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  08:53:21 AM  Show Profile
... how else would I post-hole up Cassins Ridge?...yuk-yuk
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  11:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Rik,
Those pictures are STUNNING! I am very impressed. Someday i must see your work and pick one up for myself. Keep up the great work.
Hope to see you next summer
Tried emailing you directly but your address (or my copy of it) is faulty

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile
His old "work" one is "no joy"
Try the zoom and hotmail one.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  12:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Karl
I retired 2 years ago. Its tough, man. Never get a day off.
E mamalam pono

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  1:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jeff,
I'm finding that out. Of course, going back to work is not an option. Guess we'll just have to tough it out. How does that saying go? "When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing"?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  2:45:04 PM  Show Profile
Ice fishing? I had a goal of getting my house organized in 6 months and turn my yard into a tropical paradise. Well, the yard isn't bad, but the house is way worse than when I retired... just more time to make a mess, then a yard calling to come outside. I guess you don't have that problem though.
I do think that retirement is a pretty fine gig, even though it's incredibly time-consuming.
auntie nancy
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  07:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Actually, after a 35 year self-imposed ban on ice fishing (too danged cold to just stand around) I have begun to take an in terest in it....a friend just built an ice house with a wood stove in it!
Yeah, Nancy, time is neat stuff....keeps everything from happening at once. And, yes, I do have a yard, even a lawn that needs cutting every 4 days from June thru August. Tropical paradise? No. Right now an arctic wasteland with only a few inches of snow and a couple chickadees, redpolls and grey jays hanging around the feeders. But, three more weeks and we turn the corner toward more daylight and spring. Whoopee!
Gotta go build another guitar......

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  07:30:00 AM  Show Profile
Aloha to all retirees! My apologies to those who still have to work. Hang in there. After many years of work as an engineer, I have discovered who I really am, and I stay really busy doing lots of things. I often say "How did I have time to go to work?" In the morning, I fire up a pot of coffee and get out the guitar or head for my woodshop or plug away at the always-growing Honey-do list, a smile on my lips, because I get to choose. Karl, enjoy yourself to the max, and be certain to take care of your health in all aspects. Look for new things to do, too.

E Mele Kalikimaka a me Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!!

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000