Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Pu'u Huluhulu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  4:27:30 PM  Show Profile
I had the pleasure of driving the "Saddle Road" from Hilo to Waikoloa Village the other day. At the top, above the 5,000 foot level, in between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, just by the road up Mauna Kea to the observatory sits a little cinder cone. This hill has a fence around it (to keep the cows out I suspect) and a sign that say it is a Native Tree Sanctuary. A recent lava flow just went around the hill on both sides. The hill, for obvious reasons once you see it, is named Pu'u Huluhulu. It is the only small cinder cone around with any vegetation growing on the windward side. Kyle Sproat say it is the "hill with the fuzz on it". I was curious so I took my digital camera with me and climbed the hill. Up at the top I noticed some gnarled and twisted trees with sickle shaped leaves and seed pods. I took some close up pictures of the immature leaves, mature leaves, flowers, and seed pods. Not being an arborist or an expert I had my suspicions but needed to consult with the experts and show them the pictures.

Yes, the "hill with the fuzz on it", Pu'u Huluhulu of the very beautiful slack key cowboy song is covered with that precious of endemic trees, koa. None of them are old growth but most look pretty healthy. Kind of closes the circle when you play ki ho'alu Pu'u Huluhulu (also known as Kaula 'ili) on a koa wood guitar.

"O never mind, ua hina pü, ua hiki nö"

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  03:43:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I remember how excited I was when we drove by that hill! There was a sign that indicated it was there, and it was a thrill to see the wahi pana, the famous place, of the song. One of the joys of visiting the Big Island is to see firsthand the places of song and legend. It makes such a difference how one can think about a song or story.

Mahalo for the posting, Mika'ele, and your report of what a close inspection reveals!

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000