Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Quake?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile
We were off the air most of this aft.and just heard about the 6.6 quake on the BI. The TV droids said epicenter just north of Kailua and power outages, etc. in HNL. Lingle said no fatalities, but plenty destruction.

Everybody OK?

Reid and Sarah

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  6:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Checked in on immediate family on O`ahu today. Everyone felt it but all seems to be okay. Hope our friends on the Big Island are okay too. Konabob, Don Kauli`a, Dennis Lake, Kaliko, John Keawe, and...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Honolulu Advertiser is doing a great job of posting updates to their website:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com

As of tonight's TV news from Honolulu:
Power was lost island-wide on Hawai`i island and O`ahu...slowly being restored to O`ahu as of this afternoon. Lots of road and structural damage in the Kohala/Kamuela/Hawi area.

Kaua`i really felt the tremblor, and some aftershocks. No damage on this island, however.

Maui has reported Hana Highway closed due to rockfalls, and some bridge instabilities.

Honolulu Airport -- which has been closed all day due to power failure (no water, toilets don't work, computers all blank) -- has gotten some power back and some outbound flights have begun.

Kona Airport -- closed to all outbound flights.

All other airports running normal.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  6:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Things on Maui are ok. It was quite a rattler! Here, I had a few things fall off shelves but nothing major. Guitars are all ok :) A few landslides on the Hana Highway, a bridge out near Kaupo damaged a bit, although apparently not too bad, it has been reopened to local traffic only. I understand there has been damage to older structures on the B.I. It went on long enough for me to get out of bed and start to head out the door. 10 minutes passed and we had a second tremblor -- 5.5.

Your man in Hana
Duke
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  6:41:38 PM  Show Profile
P.S. Hana Highway has been cleared and is open again.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  02:41:08 AM  Show Profile
Glad things aren't too bad, although I would be happier if our BI friends would check in.

The southern Kohala area, according to this USGS page, has been relatively quiet in the past.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/hazards/earthquakes.html

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 10/16/2006 02:41:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  02:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I am just fine, as is Dennis Lake. We had some small items break... heck, the cats do that much damage by themselves! Some interesting photos at http://www.westhawaiitoday.com and a lot of talk on http://www.konaweb.com/forums/moving.cgi

Thanks for thinking of us.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  03:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear people checking in that they are okay.

Konabob, I looked at the pics...sad that the the Kalahikiola Church in Hawi got it, too.

Duke, glad the Hana Highway wasn't closed down too long!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  03:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Glad to hear friends from all islands are checking in. Duke, Auntie Maria - thanks for the reports from Maui and Kaua`i, respectively.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  04:30:11 AM  Show Profile
anyone heard from John Keawe? Hasn't answered my email yet
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  06:33:35 AM  Show Profile

I saw a picture on the tube of Kealakekua Bay with lots of debris tumbling down the face of the cliff into the bay. One person who called into the Hawaiian TV station and lives above the bay said it turned brown from all the stuff that had fallen into it. An occaiional TaroPatcher named Richard had his "Grass Shack Studios" near the He'iau on the sound side of the bay (and not far from the cliffs I suspect), I hope he is OK.

So there seems to be some environmental damage to the bay, perhaps just a few boulders and some mud, but I also wonder how much property damage there is around there. It would be informative to see some more picts so I will check the above links.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  07:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
Hi Everyone,

We're OK, too.
All power, cable, internet, and phone service (including cell phones) went out almost immediately, but was restored after about an hour.

Hardly any damage here in Hilo, if at all. However, we did have some minor damage to our house; two cracks in the foundation, a small crack in the driveway, some buckled shower tiles, and the obviously shifted doorjams.

Anyway, all is well here...just thought I'd let you know...vv

Take care,
Brittni

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Judging from the pictures on that link, looks like the death toll for televisions will be very high. It's good to see that all are well...a little shook up maybe...but still kickin'.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kahealani

Anyway, all is well here...just thought I'd let you know...vv

Hi Brittni,

Glad to hear that you and your family are okay!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The neighbors are calling us the Disaster Guidrys (we were here duing the 43 days and nights of rain in the spring).

We got in the car to try to find an internet connection and a cell tower that worked and we saw a dozen or so cars parked near the H3 Kailua exit, I told Lynnie that there must be some kind of parade coming through - it was an hour later when I suddenly realized they were getting out of the way of a tsunami.

The Kalapawai Market had a generator going and became coffee and news central, they were jammed all day long.

We wound up hanging with Kelly La`a and her family, they have a gas stove and cooked up their fridgies for the neighborhood. Chili over rice (Zippy's style, made with a big glob of peanut butter stirred in). Naturally we had plenty of slack key and singing out of "He Mele Aloha." Kailua must have been one of the last places to get power restored on O`ahu - we could see the lights of Big City over the Ko`olaus by 6 PM or so, but it was after midnight before we got juice again.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  10:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Just got a quick note from John & Hope Keawe:
--- We are o.k. Mahalo for your concern and for your Aloha! A lot of broken stuff with everything falling of the shelves but no one was hurt thankfully. Some older buildings fell in the area and a lot of landslides and boulders on the road. ---

Also, Jody Brotman of Palm Records says:
--- The Brotman family is fine. Just a good scare and a lot of broken glass to clean up. Thank you for your concern. In fact - Charles was in session yesterday in the studio. Nothing will stop him!! ---

Edited by - Retro on 10/16/2006 10:11:52 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000