Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Quake?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  10:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha Kakou,

I too, hope all is well with everyone. O'ahu did have its problems but the big island was the center of damage. As you already know Maui got its licks too. Many of the national news folks thought the quake was limited to the big island, Maui, and O'ahu, but obviously Kaua'i and Ni'ihau were affected too. There were reports of damage of some sort or another on all islands. We are lucky it wasn't much worse. It will be a good lesson for the state to learn and get prepared for other situations. One kind of interesting note...here on O'ahu power was out island wide...but H3 still has lights on in the tunnels and street lights were reported to be on. Makes you think eh? Again, I hope everyone is OK, my wife and I spent the day quietly working around the house and going through some old photo albums. Before it got dark, our power came back on. Somehow our little area in Makakilo was within the first 20% of places to get turned back on. We felt lucky, and wished we could run an extension chord to others! It took my dog a while to get back to normal...he was acting strange before the quake hit. But he always feels better when his head is resting on my lap!

Best wishes to all and Mahalo for all the friendly calls of concern.

A hui hou,

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile
Ray, H3 was admittedly (if quietly) built to connect military bases on either side of the island/pali. So, it isn't so surprising. Almost certainly aux power.

However, that is good of a kind, too. And everybody is happy that nobody got hurt.

And your dog knew about it ahead of time, right? There are all kinds of anecdotal reports about that. Some scientists think that it may have to do with sound detection. But, no tests yet.

Fran, it sounds like a good time, kinda like when NYC had the blackout. (I won't mention the other time :={. Everybody comes together during scary times. But you gotta head for higher ground faster, next time.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  10:54:08 AM  Show Profile
Thankfully it sounds as if no one in the ohana was seriously hurt.

We live in the quake-prone Pacific Northwest, in fact, right on the fault line here in Olympia. I'm reminded it's always a good idea to keep the guitars in their cases when not used.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  1:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
I was on the phone with Job Cabato in Honokohau on Maui, and heard his house acting up. Job thought, "Tidal wave!" and ran outside. He came back in, picked up the phone and said, "No water, must be an earthquake.". When it started up again seconds later, I asked him to hang up and go outside.
At that point USGS didn't show anything for Maui. I called George Kahumoku, who told me he felt it in the garden, everything in his house was on the floor and the power was out.
Lots of aftershocks have shown up all over since the orignal shakes. A friend at USGS says they may continue (in smaller magnitude) for up to three months.
Just so glad there were no fatalities. Our thoughts and good wishes are with all of you in Hawaii Nei!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  1:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Howzit Reid,

Yeah I had heard about the military connection with H3, what I was referring to was the thing about the H3 being built on sacred Hawaiian grounds. There are stories....In any event I guess it's just one of those things. Take good care,

P.S. With any luck I'll be meeting with Mike McVay AKA "Mika Ele" to play a little and no doubt discuss his experiences from yesterday. It will be nice to meet another member of the patch in person...

Aloha nui,

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Actually Ray, H3 took so long to build (what was it? 9 - 10 years?) because of a friend of mine and Sarah's (and, amazingly, a friend of Ozzie's) because he *made* the contractors avoid as much sacred ground as possible. He is out of that business now. Of course, there were other political actions as well. There are very few reasons to fear that H3 treads on sacred grounds. Much more reasons to fear that the Army will restart live fire actions on other important areas,and I have blasted my Senator about that. Not that I really think it will do much good in the DC sinkhole.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  7:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Wayne and I are fine--just superficial damage to the house(a little cracked plaster). Another TV fatality!!--I hear they're selling like the proverbial hot cakes at Costco. Lots of things off the wall and into the floor.

Jeri

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  8:50:34 PM  Show Profile
I was hoping that all our island friends would use this forum to check in, so we'll all know they're OK. I suppose anyone who's never been through a big earthquake probably had a very scary time with this. Heck, even those of use who've been through many quakes get nervous!!!

I do pay close attention to all our instruments, most of them are packed away in their cases, in case they go flying, they're safer. That just means I have a living room full of black cases, not the prettiest sight, but I've had crystal flying from one side of the living room to the other, and that's not a pretty sight either. (1989 Loma Prieta Quake, epicenter 10 miles away)

If everyone would just briefly check in it would put our minds at ease. Brittni, Duke, Jeri, Fran, KonaBob, Auntie Maria, thanks for the posts. We are worried about all our island o'hana.

Hugs and aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 10/16/2006 8:52:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  10:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Glad our island friends and TP ohana over there have checked in to say that they are ok! Being a veteran of many earthquakes in California (including the 7.1 in Sylmar), it can be scary! Fortunately no fatalities (except for all those tv's people keep mentioning) have occurred and that everyone is safe and sound and continuing on with their lives and vacations (eh, Fran???).

Maggie

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  11:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Julie and T/P Ohana's
I thought since Duke covered for the island of Maui, I thought that was great, but your right julie, it's even better to know that when they report to this sight ( taropatch.) there is a big relief to know "Everyone" is fine.

I was sleeping when i felt my wife shaking and shaking me, so i opened one eye first, and thought, man! i never knew she was that strong! and then the bed shook side to side up and down and i knew it wasn't my wife, it was an earthquake. Lucky it was a sunday morning, where most of the family's were still at home. Mahalo plenty to all of you for your love and support. Our prayer's go out to those who may have lost there home's, property or structural damage.

Ke Akua Pu
Kevin.... p.s. Waiehu is back to normal.

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha all -

Keola, Moana & I were all at Kaupoa Beach on Molaka`i when the quake hit. One more reason to like solar power! Hot showers, hot food... and the cell phone never works anyway, so who cares?

We did keep a weather eye out to sea for any weirdness -- but no tsunami & no worries. We were scheduled to move to the Lodge that afternoon - Maunaloa had power, though we'd heard of some isolated problems in Kaunakakai.

All day we hung on the one radio station broadcasting from Honolulu -- hearing people asking for (and offering) kokua finding gas for hotel generators, telling which markets were open, which gas stations were pumping...and then reports as power statred to come back on. Really gratifying to hear everyone pulling together.

Of course, the djs repeatedly told people to stay home -- why the heck drive across the island to buy gas if you can't go to work cuz the power's down???

Then, about 2:00, some clown drove into a power pole and took out power for Maunaloa! Talk about ironic, eh?

That evening Na Kupuna gathered to play -- they optimistically set up the PA for them, but no juice; so they played acoustic. People lounged around in the room, lit by kerosine lamps & candles, with a nice kiawe fire burning and the rain falling down. Beautiful shadows flickered around the room, and the fire smelled so good.

To me, it was magic -- like old time. There something about kerosine light, strumming `ukulele and old songs sung from the heart.

Every one on Moloka`i is fine. Heard some great stories: Anakala's dog woke him up before the quake; Ruby's chickens were acting strange, Uncle Jimmy said the horses were agitated, too... and Kaha`i said after the quake, "Oh, that's why I came to work in such a bad mood! I got here at six am and I was just mad, then the quake hit and I knew why!"

So I guess we can forecast earthquakes by watching dogs, horses, chickens and ..... Kaha`i.

We're back on Maui now. Aunty Nona is fine -- she was temporarily evacuated to the first floor of her building cuz the elevator didn't work. Kaliko said things got shook up at the mac farm, but no damage. No damage either to Keola and Moana's house; Slippers the wonder cat seemed to take it in stride.

And I just heard from the Chun `ohana that Peggy is also fine. She was evacuated to the hospital when it became clear she'd run out of emergency battery back up power for her ventilator (Peggy has ALS). The Peg's Leg's volunteers were with her all the way and she's back home now.

The Hawaii Visitor's Bureau, travel agents and all the hotels are scrambling to tell the world that the quake was no bit deal and y'all should come and enjoy your vacation. Some things never change!

Thanks to everyone on the Taropatch for your concern.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 10/17/2006 12:17:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  6:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ray, bwop, jmk, Uncle Kevin, Fran and retro for checking in. Good to hear that everyone is okay.

Mark, thanks for the thorough update. You covered a lot of people and threw in some good stories too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  10:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  3:46:11 PM  Show Profile
I was on the Post at Schofiled Barracks doing some work and email checking when the pictures on the wall and hanging mirrors started bouncing around. Being from Socal, I was used to it and knew what to do. Not that big a deal until the power went out ten minutes later.

I was planning to go to church at the Old Stone Church in Honolulu that morning for the All Hawaiian Service but nixed that idea when the power went out and the sole AM radio station on the air was relaying from the Civil Defense bubbas to stay off the roads due to traffic light outages.

I had a friend also in town and he had invited me to bring my guitar and ukulele up to the President's House at Punahou School. So I drove over there anyway (most people were very polite and treated every traffic light as a four way stop) and we all sat out on his nice porch overlooking Waikiki and had our own little power outage kanikapila. Jim Scott (School President) has a nice baritone voice and some really good ukulele chops. Uncle Harry Moss shared his aloha and taught me a few things (which I have since forgotten). I played a few slack key songs. Nice way to spend the day!

Was able to visit with Ray Sowders a few days later. He had some really great pointers for me -- like record yourself and be self critical of what you hear to be able to grow. What another great evening. All of you taropatchers should not miss Ray's show (I have to admit, I missed it twice due to poor traffic and parking choices in Waikiki). It really was a special visit -- dat man can talk story and keep you fascinated for a long time. I wrote down what I could remember. Mahalo Nui Loa again Ray!

As some of you know, I also own a rental condo in South Kohala on the Big island. I was able to fly over from Oahu by Thursday and personally inspect the damage -- as in other reports, not much. I am still waiting for a structural engineer to come by for a formal inspection and report but, aside from broken wine glasses and lamps (small stuff), all I could see was a drywall butt joint movement crack (straight line from a window corner). The TVs bounced all over the place but still work. Waikoloa was essentially on top of the epicenter as the USGS reported it 6 miles southwest of Puako and Waikoloa is five to seven miles south south west on H19 from Puako. Most of the new buildings survived with little or no damage.

We drove around the Big Island last weekend. The work crews had all of H19 cleared of rubble in time for the bike portion of the IronMan from Kona to Hawi and back. We were out on the road waving to all the athletes heading north then south a few hours later. The roads to Waipio and Pulolo Valleys are closed due to cracks in the road and danger of landslides. Most of the building and structural damage I saw was to older (and historically significant) structures that had lava rock walls with older grade cement as filler. The shaking in Waikoloa was severe as I talked to several residents that were out walking when the big one hit and they all fell down -- couldn't keep walking due to the movement.

Back again in not-so-shaky-for-the-moment Southern California.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000