Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How do tuners work
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  5:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Is this too junior a question to ask on here. Just blow me off if I have dissappointed some of you looking for more engaging slack key guitar talk.

What I don't understand are the numbers after the letters. With Taropatch tuning I am shooting for dgdgbd.I can get those letters but little numbers also come leading me to believe that there are certain d's I should be shooting for. I am not sure how critical it is to pick to tune towards, for example d1 d2 or d3? Does it mean anything?

My instructions for the tunner are just awfull. I can usually figure out things from directions if they are straight forward.

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  03:12:31 AM  Show Profile
The numbers come from piano key notation, because there are so many repeats on the keyboard of 88 keys. A very nice map, including frequency and MIDI #, is at:
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/notes.html

You want D2 through D4. Note in the map the shaded c4 - that's the famous Middle C. and is on your 2nd string, 1st fret.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  2:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Also,
Most tuners have additional numbers like 441, 442, etc. The A above middle C on a piano "should" generate a tone at the 440 Hertz frequency. However, when playing with other instruments, most notably, brass instruments, they are typically out of tune and cannot be brought easily into tune. Therefore, you can adjust your guitar to be slightly sharp (to match the other instruments) by setting your tuner to 441 vice 440 or slightly flat by selecting 439 vice 440.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440

You tuner is actually measuring the frequency of your plucked string in Hetrz (Hz) and converting it and displaying it as a letter you would understand in musical notation.

(dang engineers take all the fun out of it - and I wonder why my daughters are like "Nye the Science Guy")

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  5:18:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:

(dang engineers take all the fun out of it - and I wonder why my daughters are like "Nye the Science Guy")

I resemble that remark,

Dave Nye

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 10/30/2006 5:19:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  5:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everyone. I know its something I should have figured out on my own but I am so very busy as you can see by my post time. This is also the reason for my very belated thank you.

Thank You ! Thank You ! Thank You! It helps a lot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000