Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Taimane Gardner -- youtube.com
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  09:23:21 AM  Show Profile
Though I haven't had a chance to see her perform live yet, Taimane has received some excellent PR here in Hawai`i. Her dad sent me this youtube.com footage, so I'm sharing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_9sBSVMpE

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Wow, she's great. I recall reading something about her a couple of years ago, hearing her probably on an MP3, and being underwhelmed. That's not my opinion now! She's very talented and has excellent stage presence.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I noticed that she was playing an 8-string uke in the video and she was fingerpicking quite a bit. Did anyone here two strings being plucked? I wonder if she was able to pluck only one string or if the double strings just sounded as one.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  1:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
She's clearly got the skills, but I was very disappointed in her recent CD - it's over-produced, and her playing gets buried too often. As for her singing --- well, there's certainly a lot of raw potential, but she needs to get a bit more "maturity" into her technique; it still belies her youth.

Not every teenaged uke player is destined to be the next phenom...
Go to Top of Page

MidwestUke
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  3:22:55 PM  Show Profile
I agree...I've heard her play for a while now and her CD has muffled her playing...I've also seen her play a bit and her stage movements are a bit forced and the same at many shows...I would love to see her just relax, have fun and play, rather than trying to perform for the audience...IMHO...But she's a great player, mass props and I look forward to seeing more in the future...

West Coast Pride stuck in the Mid-West

Edited by - MidwestUke on 11/01/2006 3:23:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Boost
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  7:53:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

I noticed that she was playing an 8-string uke in the video and she was fingerpicking quite a bit. Did anyone here two strings being plucked? I wonder if she was able to pluck only one string or if the double strings just sounded as one.
Jesse Tinsley

I checked the vid.. and freeze a few choice frames, and if my eyes deceive me, it looks like the E and A are single strings and doubled up G, C . Like Aquila white on the A.. and some other clearish string (Worth??) on the E. and a wide gap between the E and A..

Of course the vid is not the highest resolution..but thats what I can pick out from it. Great playing BTW
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Not every teenaged uke player is destined to be the next phenom...

Maybe yes, maybe no. Judging from the vids, she has chops to spare, is comforable on stage and knows how to put herself over to a big audience. Sure, her voice is weak -- so Madonna's and Janet Jackson's and (insert pop star here.)

Kinda reminds me of the first time I saw this teenage slack key shredder with the unpronounceable last name. All the grey-hairs in the audience dissed him and said he wouldn't go anywhere; all the kids hung on every note... Whatever happened to him? Something like, "Makana"???

I vote with the kids. Maturity comes with, ummm, maturity.

Stage presence, vocal technique and all the rest can be learned. Sensitive and/or hip producers can be found. Her dad told me she wants to study composition - so that's a great start.

I agree that she's got a long road ahead of her, and I wish her all the luck.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  08:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
That's good to know. My only exposure to her until now has been through the one CD that was originally produced for the Japanese market, then released domestically. It sounds like that disc doesn't really do justice to her talent.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000