Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tab for Keoki's DVD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charlie
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  3:03:05 PM  Show Profile
Anyone have tab for the intro piece on Keoki Kahumoku's introduction to slack key DVD?

Charlie

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  8:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Aloha Charlie,

sorry there is no tab for that song yet. It is a song call "hale 'olu" which was written by my dad George Jr and his student from Lahainaluna and several family member's from Hanaon the island of Maui. I can say that this song uses a 5-2-4-1 picking pattern with most of the techniques come from the basic repeating left hand finger movements. I know that it was not broken down to see both left and right hand shots, but what you can see is that most of the melody is played using the 1st and 3rd stings. you'll also notice that the vamps used are taught over and over again in different approaches, but the timing is still the same when coming back to the verses. This song was recorded by myself and herb ohta jr on "Treasures of Aloha" roy sakuma Productions and recently re-recorded by myself on my Rise and Shine album. Please check my dad's recordings because I think he recorded it last year too. I know that this isn't tab for you, but i need to say that I learned this song by ear. I heard it only twice before recording it for the dvd. most of the sound is very traditional and straight forward but if you are struggling with parts, we can chat about that too.

mahalo nui,
Keoki Kahumoku
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  08:15:22 AM  Show Profile
Charlie,

I have the lyrics and chord progression that I worked out from listening to the song on Herb and Keoki's Cd and on Keoki's new release. A fun tune. Keoki plays and sings this in F, which is my current Taro Patch (1-step down) tuning. I'm learning this song the old-fashioned way; listening and making it my own. If Keoki agrees, I can send you what I've put together. Check with him and send me your snail mail.
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
That would be great Mr. Monkey! I think if you have some tab stuff to share, that can always be a great resource for people who need reference points to songs.

mahalo nui,
Keoki
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  05:47:22 AM  Show Profile
Keoki,
Since you've been away from the Taro Patch for a while, Chunky Monkey is really just me, Terry Beckhelm from San Diego.
Love this song.

Charlie, send me your snail mail and I'll copy you what I've done. Might not help with the Slack fingerings, but the chord progressions might help, particularly if you watch Keoki play this; it will make sense. I hadn't looked at this part of the DVD in a while; one more reason that this DVD is a great resource.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000