Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Bar chords
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  10:29:50 AM  Show Profile
I am having a problem with bar chords right now. I can't consistently fret the third string with my index finger, in a bar chord. The result is a muffled note, or a thud. And I mean up and down the entire fretboard. It seems that the softer part of my finger is over the string and not putting enough pressure on the string. I can only make a clear note when I use extreme finger pressure but I cannot sustain that kind of pressure long enough to get through a whole song. My bar finger statrs hurting too.
I noticed it a few months ago when I began learning new songs with full bar chords. Ones that use the 3rd string at the the root of the bar.
I don't have trouble with 1 11/16 nut width, but have some trouble at 1 3/4 and a lot of trouble with 1.8". My 2 newest guitars are 1.8"
I found that tape works but the tape snags other strings as I play, so it may not be a good solution.
Has anyone dealt with this problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bob

Bob

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Bob,

A couple thoughts...

What happens to me sometimes is that the 3rd string is running right under the "crack" in my finger, so I try to adjust my finger placement (before placing) so that my finger lies on the fretboard extending either more or less beyond 6th string, and the 3rd string is firmly pressed down. (And the finger can't be curved at all.) It takes practice to find just the right spot.

Another factor is the action of your strings. Higher action is harder to barre, can be progressively harder the higher up the fretboard you go, and if you're not used to barring, even downright "impossible." Maybe you can have the action adjusted lower.

And, as with anything new, it helps to start off easy with shorter sessions, allowing the muscles time to change and grow stronger. I have found that over time, holding any kind of difficult fingering got easier after doing it a lot - but not hurting myself - over months or years. I remember when I couldn't hold a C chord long enough to play a song in C.

I seem to have some sort of callus on my index finger, at the crack of the larger of the two joints. I think it comes from barring, yet I don't really know its role in holding a barre. Could be that it helps, as the flesh is built up a bit.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  7:49:08 PM  Show Profile
two things might help

roll your finger a little toward the bridge and place the finger so the knuckle creases are not as prominent and they do not overlay a string or else one or more strings will not have even pressure and come out muted

the other is something Keoki Kahumoku taught at one workshop - don't try to squeeze the heck out of the neck between you finger and thumb -- let your elbow pull the finger down and out -- moving the strings just slightly away from your body. It is easier to hold and doesn't require maui the hawaiian Supaman strength to play bar chords

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  06:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Mika'ele
I didn't understand the the second technique completely. Would you mind expanding on the explaination?
As you noted, I am using a superman grip to pull the stings down but my bar finger can only take so much of that. I think my fretting hand is strong but I am only successful using brute force for a short time.
Maybe, as Sarah said, I will build callus but I think having to use such pressure is not good.
Thanks for the input Sarah, and Mika'ele

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  1:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Until Mika ele said it, I didn't realize that that's what I do! Mahalo for the clarity!
Check the action on the guitar, the neck could have a "wow" in it and you're just used to it. Sight down the neck from the body on the bass and the treble sides of the fretboard. Also, check for uneven fret wear.
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  8:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
for bar chords,it's best to think slight pull to the ground other than press string to fret board. relax the barred finger, place on strings, but don't sqeeze or press just yet.now you feel the strings under the finger just next to the fret. now let the finger roll down to the ground naturally like gravity would do. what you should notice if done right, you don't even need the thumb pressure from behind the neck. a way to do this is by over exahderating the angle from which you can see the fret boardand now slightly pull all the strings to the ground. It's better to practice bar chords for me from the 7th fret then work back towards the 5th, 4th,3rd, etc. a bar chord should feel relaxed under the fingers then it all locks in like a pipe wrenchwith the pull to the ground...not squeezing to the fret board or even your body. practice playing lying on your backsometime and you'll notice alot things about this position that makes playing so much easier. remember this relaxed position when you sit up and try .

you are my first reply back in 2 years. I finally got my computer to recognize my password, so sorry about the long draw out explanation, but i know exactly what you're going through. dump the high action guitar and play something that feels comfortable all around.

ok ok ok,
mahalo,
keoki
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Keoki,

Thanks for your input! I'm going to try out what you suggest. When you say "down to the ground" and "pull all the strings to the ground" I imagine the strings bending toward the edge of the neck. Guess I'll have to try um and see!

Mahalo,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  12:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
I read Keoki's idea with interest and tried it. I find that it works even if I just think about letting the weight of my left hand pull toward the floor a little. Thanks for the great tip!

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  12:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Rolling my finger slightly towards the fret definitely helps a lot for me although I'm still not completely comfortable with barre chords. I'll have to try out Keoki's tip when I get home!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  2:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Keoki said it better
Should be that way since he was my source for the tip.
Thanks Keoki - no mo skin dem peegs.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:45:12 PM  Show Profile
Keoki,
Sometimes a song exposes a weakness that takes time and determination to overcome. Right now I am learning a song that is testing my ability, and your advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  04:41:53 AM  Show Profile
We're always in a state of growth. Every time we try something new, we become toddlers again. J'ever notice that little kids love learning to walk?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000