Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hi
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  10:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Well, since I've just posted a repy to Pauline in the Uke forum, I figure I should introduce myself. I'm Eric and I've been lurking here for a couple of months now. I, actually, found this site through Pauline and the Acoustic Guitar forum.

(Yes, I lurk there too. I suppose I should "announce" my presence there since I recognize a few names here and there. But, I digress...)

Anyway, I'm a born and raised Hawaii boy that moved to the East Coast (Maryland, specifically) in '90. I'd love to move back to Hawaii, someday. I'm an introvert, so I doubt that I'll be posting much. Plus, I'm a firm believer in the "shut up and you might learn something" school of thought.

So, that's my extremely short (I told you I was an introvert ) intro and thanks to Andy for an awesome site.

Peace, love and soul...

- eric

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  11:34:38 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Eric,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks again for the tab. I learned about this wonderful site from AG too, either from Russell Letson or Fran Guidry.

Don't worry about being an introvert; I suspect musicians have a higher percentage than the general populace. I'm much quieter in person. It also fades with years. When you're 60 maybe you'll be as garrulous as me.

Best,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  11:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Eric. Thanks for posting. It is always nice to know who is around geographically, posting, lurking, etc.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Crotalus
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  5:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Crotalus's Homepage
Hi, I've just joined, but have been lurking around for a while every now and then. I found this place purely by accident. I just typed in the address out of the blue to see what would happen. Poof! Like magic . . . Here I am.

I self taught myself basic guitar after my wife got it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I got bored with it. Then I hooked up with the Uke group at templebar. Played guitar for them. (Uke group sounds a little better with a little guitar.)

Anyway, I heard slack key and started playing about a little over a year ago. Mostly wanted to be able to play something nice on the guitar when someone would ask me "hey, play something nice", especially at camping trips.

Patrick started teaching me about a little over a year ago. It's nice to have an actual teacher in front of you to help you when you have questions or need advice. Also, it helps that Patrick is an actual teacher teacher. Because I have watched Ledward on video but his fingers move too fast. At least I can videotape Patrick and watch at my own pace.

I learned to read music and sheet music while playing the piano when I was young. But if someone wanted me to play something on the piano, I couldn't play anything without sheet music. So, in learning the slack key, I'm doing it more by ear and so I can figure out how to play some nice simple melodies without being restricted to finding the sheet music.

That's my slack key in a nutshell.

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  02:43:16 AM  Show Profile
Eh...Wassssssup Brah!

How you stay Eric? And welcome to da TaroPatch Ohana! Question....Are related to the Takushi's here on Maui? They own one service station li'dat. In the early days, it was known as "Smiles". Now it's called A & K Auto. Karl Takushi is da Proprietor, and the A & K is da the 1st initials of his two Sons Alvin and Kyle. I jus figgah i'd throw that in jus in case you guys Ohana eh la'dat....Anyways, WELCOME!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  11:14:01 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Ben,

Welcome to you, too. Glad you made it!

That was an odd way to find this place. Every now and then I go to see what taropatch.com is up to; just taking up disk space as far as I can tell. Taropatch.net is the place to be.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  1:03:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slackkey

Eh...Wassssssup Brah!

....Are related to the Takushi's here on Maui?

No, I don't think I am because I didn't know that any Takushi's lived on Maui . And to think I used to visit Maui all the time as a kid!

Thanks for the aloha, everyone. And aloha to you, Ben. Just wondering...when you said that Patrick is your teacher, are you talking about Patrick Landeza? If so...WOW! Man, I've got to move back home or the West Coast and start learning from real teachers.

Peace, love and soul...

- eric
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  8:56:14 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Eric and Ben. Now put your pictures in your profiles. Hint, hint for the rest of you (you know who you are).

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Crotalus
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  1:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Crotalus's Homepage
Oh, yeah, Patrick Landeza. He's on here somewhere. I've seen his posts. He's really patient and very supportive. He teaches at his house and the good thing is he lives just over the hill from me.

Ok, lemme see, I'm going to have to figure out how to post my picture. . .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000