Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Playing Slack-key by..... Ear? Part. 1
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  7:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,T.P.Ohana's

This is such a great thing that Andy has put together.(taropatch.net)
I've been a member since Aug. And it's so wonderful to be able to have Ohana's Far away, And yet it seems that your all right up the road.

Everyones storys or issues become a personal part of our lives.
We not only "SHARE" our thoughts with each other, But along with all things, We "GIVE" of our service freely.(advice) And that is something money cannot buy.

I can bring this subject to everyone because, Of Andys Aloha for this unique art form.(slack key) And he's doing it all for free! Mahalo!

SLACK KEY BY EAR? (hear we go!)

I was wondering how many of us play music by "Ear" And how many of us only "READ" music. I know for sure there is no "BAD" in both of them.
One way or the other it helps us!

Last year was my last, Teaching Slack key in one of our High Schools.
I've been there for 14 yrs. Infact if you read my story on how i got started with slack key? I mention i cut my Math Class? Well this is the High School that i cut from y-e-a-r-s ago. And now, 19 years later im here giving back to where my roots started in ki ho'alu.

I have to cut the in betweens, It's getting to long.

When i first started, the school flew me to Oahu, And i had to attend a music work shop at the U.of H.(University Hawaii). We came from all of the different islands to attend. The class was being thought by music teachers from Canada.

What was suppose to be a 1 year course? They thought it to you in 8hours. There was at least 200 of us. They would seperate everyone
according to the level you felt comfortable.(begin,inter,adv,).

Of course most wanted to go to the begining class. A few more to the intermidate class, And being i was actually a full time musician,and only a part time teacher? I chose Advance(like a dummy)ha,ha! Because there was only 6 in that class.

The first thing the teacher did was to pass out sheets of papers.
I knew from that time on i was in deep trouble. I can't read music.
everything i do is by ear. So when the class started he (teacher) played a few notes and thats all i need to hear. I pretend like i was reading my sheets? but actually i just played back...what i heard him play. It went on for awhile until he looked at me, and i was'nt reading the sheet but, was just playing. He leaned over to me and said....Can i see you on the first break? This will be Part 1.
It's getting to long. I'll continue on later. Promise!

Hui Hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  8:50:00 PM  Show Profile
Soon! The suspense is getting me.

(Yes, this is a wonderful gift from Andy. I love this site.)

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 10/17/2002 8:52:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  9:20:56 PM  Show Profile
PART.II, Aloha Ohana's

Sorry i just left the story, It's not that it was getting long,But i had to also, pick up my grandchildren from school.(gee's what a grandpa.)ha,ha!(thanx joanne).

Anyway,the 1st. break came and he took me to the side and said.
Are you one of those Hawaiians that can't read music, but play
everything by ear? (long story short). He told me to continue what
i was doing,because he said, the reason they made these music sheets
it was for them (the teachers)because with out the sheets they could'nt play at all. And im quoting him(teacher). He told me one of the best musicians are the ones that play by ear.

It's people like us(speaking about them)that need the sheets so we can play the music. My personal opinion? Which ever works the best for you DO IT! I wish i could do both!

Heres another incident that happend. I was watching the Jerry Lewis Teleton one year,There was this popular band that played a few numbers. And after that the phone rang (at the teleton) Jerry walked over to the band leader and said, a woman pledge a $100.00 if the band could play this particular song that she wanted to hear.

Well the lead singer walked over to the band director and asked if they could play the song the woman requested. It was about a 15 piece orchestra backing him up.(won't say who the singer was). The singer came back to Jerry and said, SORRY, the band did'nt bring the sheets for that music. Everyone was stunned! They never played it, And she never payed it!...... So what's the point of this whole story?

I've played ear all my life, I wish i could read as well! I would'nt know unless i was in someone elses shoes that could read. In my 14yrs. teaching, I thought the way my teacher thought me. Watch,Listen, and don't ask questions. I thought my students the first 2, Watch and Listen, but I had to make time for, Questions.

The times are changing, and if you really want to pass this on ecpecially to the youths, Then you gotta give them the time.
AGAIN, Im not saying that playing by EAR is better, Or READING MUSIC is better. I just wanted some feed back on what was comfortable for YOU. By Ear? or Reading? Best of health to all!

Malama Pono!
Kevin.

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  9:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Pauline,
Hear it is!

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  10:47:58 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could do it by ear. I can only pick out single line melodies by ear. I have to have the paper crutch.

Another forum on classical music has a rotating set of quotes. One from Pepe Romero tells how his father taught him to play guitar by ear. He was able to play something very complex, I wish I could remember what it was, at a young age before his father ever taught him to read (read music, I assume). He felt you know the music so much more that way.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  11:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Kevin,

Enjoyed your story very much because it reminded me of my early days while learning classical guitar. Being a "play by ear kine" towards the end of our series of lessons, our teacher had been bragging to the other students (who were much younger!)how good I was in playing all the sheets with ease, but little did he know that all along I've been playing the lessons by ear! I always made it a point to ask him to play in full the sheets before we finished the lessons.

When I said my goodbyes as we finished our last session, he wished me luck and finally hinted that I should review all the notes because he knew I've been playing them by ear and gave a wink!

That was a long time ago and of course I have now completely forgotten how to read notes and now that I'm very much into slack key I don't know that reading notes would benefit me at all at this time in my life.

By the way I've been enjoying our jam at Waihee Church. Just playing there with you guys is giving me more confidence in doing solo playing in front of other people. I figured if I could play in front of experienced artists like you, Slackey Bill, Hal, and Don Kaulia, I could play in front of any group. Looking forward to our next kanikajamapila!

Ed

ed

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  11:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mahalo for your story, Kevin.

I tried to learn some of your style second-hand last year, but things never worked out. I met one of your guitar students (I've lost his name) at the Kapalua shops, he was playing ukulele with Keoki Kahumoku and I talked with them after the show, let them try my little Larrivee Parlor guitar. The younger guy, your student, did some sweet stuff on the guitar, with a different bass pattern than I had ever heard, and he said he learned it from you when you came to his school to teach slack key. I tried to connect up to get a lesson, but we missed.

That's why I'm hoping to hear some more of you on CD, so I can steal your licks <grin>.

On the subject of learning by ear, I thought that I would never be able to get things that way, but after working through Ozzie Kotani's book, then a couple of songs from Ledward's tape, now I can figure out some things by listening. Not from hearing them one time like you and Ed, though. I put the CD in my computer, make a tiny little clipping of on vamp or one line, and play it over and over and over ... then I probably still get it wrong, right? But little by little I find my version of the song based on my mistakes <grin>.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  11:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I cannot read music and perhaps this is one more reason that I enjoy slack key. One can try to play from the heart and nobody is telling you that you have to study and learn to read music.

I took piano lessons when I was in kindergarden to about 5th grade. In 5 out of the 6 years, I fooled my teacher into thinking that I could read music, but I never could. Maybe at that time if I really studied the music, I could figure out note by note. My teacher was trying to get me to understand some music theory and sight reading, but I mostly played by ear.

When I started guitar, it was a fun instrument because I could pretty easily pick out the chords from rock songs (you know only 3-4 chords usually). In college I played in a band and always felt that I was the weakest musician in the group. Somehow I was good at faking it, though.

When I tried learning slack key, I had a really hard time playing by ear because I was not used to finger picking or playing in open tunings. Only in the last year or two have a been able to begin hearing things and understanding how that might translate to the fretboard. That's my story.

I think the ability to read music is a very useful skill. I wish I could do it. Perhaps someday I will spend some time on it. On the flip side, I am always amazed at what guys like Ozzie Kotani or Ledward Kaapana can do solely playing by ear.

Andy

Ps. Don't thank me! Thank you guys for coming and hanging out here. I'm having fun and without you I'd just me sitting here by myself.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Ohana's
So Andy and Ed, you fooled your instructers too? Great job.(getting by for awhile). And also , Great Storys! all of you!!!!

By the way Ed, you forgot to mention one more persons name, On the last line you said experienced players? This is the name you forgot to mention....ED Kalama....

Fran, the name of the boy you met at kapalua?
his name is....Peter Diaquino.
Malama,Pono!
a hui hou, Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  1:29:54 PM  Show Profile
I don't read music (the standard notation), except for figuring out tempo and rythm patterns. But, I do read tablature and, at my lowly stage, I couldn't get along without it. Of course, then I memorize the song from the tab (or try to :-). My ear is untrained and I find it very difficult to sort out the sounds and translate them into finger positions on the fretboard. Maybe someday...

me ke aloha,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  10:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Fran,
Wish I met you at the Kapalua Shops when you were there. Would have enjoyed checking out your guitar. That's my workplace and I had contracted Keoki to do the Tuesday shows until he relocated to the Big Island. The good news is Peter DeAquino has taken his place and we have been promoting the Tuesday show as a Ukulele Show. So if you are back in the island sometime (at the Kapalua Shops) look me up or just simply enjoy the great ukulele show. Sometimes he invites his cousin, Garett Probst, who is equally as good. Together these two guys are dynamite. I think this is the only ukulele show you can find in Maui! And it's free because we made this a part of the Hawaiian Cultural programs at the resort.

ed

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  11:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Aloha, Ed,

You know, maybe we did meet. This was August of 2001, probably the second week, and someone who worked at the shops and booked the shows was in our little group that day, playing Ledward's "Kuu Ipo Onaona" on Keoki's Rainsong. Was that you? That gentleman inspired me to go home and work with that tape, so today I play "Slack Key Lullaby" and "Kuu Ipo" myself, so if it was you I owe you thanks.

I was a little sad during that visit because I could find almost no Hawaiian music, and no slack key, on Maui. The Brown Ohana show at the Maalaea shops had ended and I didn't even know about the Bailey House, so I played slack key by myself everywhere I went. Now I know all the sweet slack key is in back yards and parks and beach parties. And I've got email addresses!!

Next trip is to the Gathering Place, though, and I don't know when I'll see the Valley Isle again.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  06:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Fran, yes that was me and I remember that day - I just learned Ledward's Kuipo Ona Ona that week and I've been looking forward to show off to Keoki. It was him and his Dad that inspired me to get serious with Slack Key guitar music. Oh what a great place this TaroPatch site is. It feels like I know you so well already!

You gotta come back to this island. Our Waihee Kanikajamapila ohana will make sure you will have fun!

ed

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  07:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
And let me extend the invite to all TaroPatch.net members. Please do let me know if you are in the island. I will be retiring January 31, 2003 so I will have all the time in the world to jam - Hawaiian Style!

ed

richonmaui
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  3:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit richonmaui's Homepage  Click to see richonmaui's MSN Messenger address
Aloha all

Pretty interesting discussion about playing by ear vs. reading notes. I never really played guitar until I started trying my hand at slack key 5 or 6 years ago. So taro patch and drop-c are the only things I know.

I started out with a couple of private lessons with Ozzie, and then continued with his book. So the only way I knew to play was to memorize note-for-note tablature. I learned 5 or 6 tunes in 5 or 6 years, and after that amount of time I would have to say I have not been so pleased with my progress. And I have NO CLUE how to play along with someone else.

Clearly, I had to try something else! So very recently I decided to start going in the direction of learning all of the chords I could find in taro patch (with the help of friends and a couple of Mark Hanson books). Also I want to learn some scales and patterns on the fret board (also Mark Hanson).

All I can say is that this IMMEDIATELY started opening my eyes (and ears!) and made my time with my guitar more enjoyable. For now I am no longer trying to learn a particular tune, but rather I am just learning how to make music with my gutar. I'm starting to have a ton of fun just making up stuff with chords and slack key style finger picking. If you haven't tried it, you have no idea how much it will reduce your frustration level!!

The Mark Hansen book I'm using most right now is "The Complete Book of Alternate Tunings" which shows hundreds of guitar tunings, along with many scale, pattern, and chord fingerings in each tuning. http://www.accentonmusic.com Also available on Amazon. (Maybe Andy can put a link here for that)

For all of you that might feel frustrated with a "lack of progress" or who feel you cannot possibly play by ear, I highly recommend just learning some of the chords and patterns in you favorite tuning. Maybe even take a short break from trying to learn tunes note-for-note. Like the Apple Computer ad says: "Think Different." Then just press!!!

A hui hou

Rich

--
Huli i ka nani o na mea apau!
--
HawaiianRainbow - Hawaiian Music Now in MP3Pro Stereo!
Streaming da kine in stereo since 1999!
http://www.HawaiianRainbow.com
HawaiianRainbow is an officially licensed ASACP and BMI Station

,.-*"*-.,<º))))><"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,<º))))><

,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"><((((º>,.-*"*-.,,.-*"><((((º>
,.-*"*-.,<º))))><"*-.,,.-*"*-.,
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  02:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Ahi ahi Rich!

First of all, are you from our Valley Isle or just passing through? Jus wandering! I'm Bill also known as slackkey here on TaroPatch.net as well as on HawaiiMusicians.com. My two favorite tunings are also T-patch and drop-C. Hey! At least you can follow tabs! A friend of mine tried teaching me how to read tabs....too complex for me! However, it is one way to get a song right! My speciality is JUS'PRESS! I never really learned how to read notes. Troughout my life with an instrument and music, I was taught the basics. Afterwards I just picked it up by listening and watching. I would play a favorite song, and listen to it. Over and over! Then I would tune my guitar to the artist's guitar. I never had any trouble figuring it out! That's what's so fun and enjoyable about playing by ear! However, ask me what chord I'm playing....Sorry! Don't know! I jus'press.

My feelings exactly! Rather then trying to play note for note, be SPONTANEOUS!!!!! Use the melody of your favorite song just as a guideline. Then.....come up with your own stylings! That's what makes Kiho'alu so relaxing and enjoyable! It makes a perfect stress reliver.
Keep perpetuating "Kiho'alu" your style! As for playing along with others.....same principle......watch and listen.....Then JUS'PRESS!!!!! Take care Rich! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000