Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Whats your story behind slack-key.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  06:10:24 AM  Show Profile
I've been playing kiho alu now for about 30 years. Besides the unique sound that it has, Im fascinated by the storys that people tell on how they first got started.

When i first heard kiho-alu, I was a sophmore in high school. I CUT! my MATH class that day. While sitting under a tree i heard this music playing and it got my full attention. After the recess bell rang, I walked up to that teacher And asked him what kind of music he was playing?

He said it's called slack-key. I asked him if he would teach me. He said if i gave up all my recess and came to him, He would teach me.( make a long story short ) From my Sophmore year thru my Senior i gave up all my recess and went to this teacher. He thought me all the tunnings he new and everything he new.

And till this day i believe, If i didn't CUT my MATH class that day i would have never learn or even heard of slack-key. Mahalo Mr. Henry Meyers.(teacher)

Slack-key has played a major role in my life. Thats how i met my wife, Thats how i raised my family, And till this day im still playing this unique sound called Kiho-Alu.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  10:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I caught my first glimpse of slack key on TV when I was in Kaua`i back in 1993. I don't remember much about the documentary, I started watching mid-program, but I recall explanations of the secrecy of the tunings within families. When I heard the full sound coming out of a single guitar, I was very intrigued. On my way back home through O`ahu, I picked up 2 CDs – the Best of Keola and Kapono Beamer and John Keawe’s Ho`onanea.

Fast forward to 1995 and I’m in Boston. I pick up the local freebie with the week’s events only to find that I missed the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festival by a day. I couldn’t believe I missed that so, a year later, I make a point to attend and see Uncle Ray Kane, George Kahumoku, Jr., and Keola Beamer. Seeing Hawaiian music live sealed the deal for me. The music was soulful, the stories, the aloha, the amount of fun those guys were having on stage. Watching Uncle Ray hooked up to his oxygen singing and playing his heart out was truly moving.

Being on the east coast, I felt like I was learning in a vacuum too. I picked up Leonard Kwan’s book in 1993/4 and it took me 2 or 3 years just to play the first song. Ozzie Kotani’s book really got me going (keeping my guitar tuned in taro patch for long periods of time) which I bought from him when I saw him play in Pearl City. My progress was and is very slow. My wife is originally from O`ahu so I’m fortunate to go back “home” every 1 or 2 years. So that is how I got started, and I hope to continue this musical passion for many years to come.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
First, thanks to Kevin Brown for stopping by and sharing your story. I certainly enjoy the Brown Ohana music I've heard and look forward to more.

Second, the similarities between my story and Andy's are eerie. First saw slack key on TV in the islands - I was in Honolulu on my first visit, maybe 98 or so. Started with the Beamer video and one of his books, but couldn't break through. Found the Ozzie book, took about a year to work through it but after that I could make that sweet sound!!

Since then I've tried to catch as many Hawaiian music artists as possible (Led Kaapana and Owena Salazar tonight!) and finally hooked up with Patrick for lessons.

I feel a little odd sometimes to have gotten hooked so completely on this music. I played rock'n'roll for years, but it's not that important to me now. Why didn't I fall for Cajun music since that's my heritage? What about Celtic, or classical? But the first time I heard the sweet sound of ki ho`alu I was a goner.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  1:17:44 PM  Show Profile
First heard slack key on a visit to Maui -- Keola;s Ku'u Lei Awapuhi -- had to pull the car over with my eyes tearing. Called the station and got some info. Started to buy slack key CD's which lead me to other Hawaiian music. About a year later, nearing birthday 50, I was thinking that I've wanted to play guitar for a long time and if I don't do it now, I probably won't ever do it. Rented a classical guitar, bought Frederick Hand's book on basics and Keola's tape. Given the fact that Keola's tape is aimed at the very early beginning level, it took me almost 8 months to barely peck out a song. Heard Ozzie in concert and talked with him afterwords. Got his book. Couple of months later flew out and spent some extended time with Ozzie and figured out which end was up. Been playing now for almost 2.5 years, couple of hours a day. Still listen to a wide variety of Hawaii'an music. For the last year or so I've spent a couple of hours a week with George Kahumoku when he's in town. That really helped me get established. At George's prompting I started to play some gigs -- nursing homes and senior communities at first. Now I play private parties and stuff like that. My main interest now is working up arrangements of (mostly) Hawaiian songs I like and my own compositions. I'm thinking of working with a singing coach. Still play on a classical guitar, mostly solo, but I'm trying to do some playing with others. It is a different skills set, and given my time commitments and what I want to do with my own learning , I don't want to put a lot of time and energy into it right now. Of course that may change if I get into a situation that is rewarding for me... but I basically get bored just strumming along. Wouldn't mind playing with someone who really wants to work up some interesting duet arrangements.
That's the outline...the details require a few glasses of ice tea and a pleasant afternoon.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose, CA
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  2:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Kevin,

You should know most of this story, since you were a big part of it...

In my own case, I started learning ki ho`alu because my wife Sarah has played it regularly over the last 5 or 6 years and it has become an integral part of our daily lives. I guess I wanted to experience making "a joyful noise". Even though I have never had much musical talent, I have learned enough to make myself happy and I get better slowly. I practice nearly every day.

And how did Sarah get to be a slack key player? I will give just a quick summary, since she can answer for herself if she wants (and finds time). We visited Maui for the first time about 6 years ago, mostly for the snorkeling, but we were fascinated by the language, the people and the music. We came back the next year, expressly to learn, and went to the Bailey House Museum to find a man named Uncle Sol Kawaihoa in order to learn something about ki ho`alu - which we did one afternoon. He graciously gave us a private tutorial for about an hour (inside the room with the best acoustics) and told us to come back in a day or two to attend a more formal lecture that would be followed by a jam in the gazebo. So, on a Wed. afternoon we came back and, after Uncle's lecture and reading his handout, Sarah said 'I think I can do this.' Then we went back to the gazebo with Uncle and Kevin and Henry Meyer arrived. Kevin (yes, you, Kevin :-)took up where Uncle left off, explaining and demonstrating and talking story - history actually. We were made soooooo welcome and we were captivated by the art and the culture. The playing went on and on and didn't stop even though the sun went down and it got dark. Didn't matter; we were in another world and part of it even though we were not playing. So, after that evening, "I can do this" became "I must do this."

So, that was the launching pad. Sarah got a guitar and started collecting tabs and learning from them by herself. She had never touched a guitar before, but she picked it up fast. We came back as often as we could and sat in on jams and spent some time with Kevin and met Bill and others, and, occasionally, Sarah got to take an official lesson with somebody. Those who have heard her recently (like Andy and Keola and Ozzie and George and Kitty and David and Uncle Sol and Bill) think she is pretty good. At the same time, she taught herself the Hawaiian language and can read, write, speak, sing, and compose mele in Hawaiian.

I do what I can, and love every second of it. Finally, I *had* to play ki ho`alu, too.

Sarah (and I, of course) can not play in "standard tuning". We can only play slack key tunings (taro patch, Leonard's C, Atta's C, Double slack). We don't play guitar; we play slack key.

mahalo nui loa, Kevin

me ke aloha pumehana,

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 10/09/2002 4:54:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  2:25:25 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,Taro Patch Ohana,

Mahalo Fran,Andy,Jwn & Raymond, I really enjoyed your storys.I know they'll be more later but,Yours was the first that i got to read.

Each story was special I had to read it over and over again.These storys will always be in our hearts and memories forever.

Mahalo again slack key ohanas.

If you ever want to hear the CLASSIC slack key story? let me know. It is kinda long.
It's a Raymond Kane Classic.

Let me know and I'll be glade to share it.
Mahalo Nui Loa! Hey thanks for the kind words Fran. Ikaika and I are working on another CD. I'll keep you up to date on it.

Hui Hou!
Kevin Brown

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  2:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid,
It was great hearing from you. Yes i remember everything like it was just yesterday. Boy you and sarah have certainly come along way!

That was the good ole day's up at the Baily House.I also remember going to the beach and cooking on the ground remember that?

Infact we are going back there on Friday(waihee beach) to camp. wish you and sarah could be there.

Uncle Sol what a great man! he is truely HAWAIIAN! He thought a lot of people to play slack key, And i know if he wasn't working for the Baily House he would've taught for free!

Thats the kine of person he is.I can't wait to hear you and sarah play.I could learn a few pointers from the both of you.

Mahalo for sharing your story. Please give my aloha to sarah.
ke akua pu.(god bless)
Kevin.

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  4:26:41 PM  Show Profile
On a visit to Maui in 1992 I became aware of an intriguing type of music. I didn't know what it was called - only that it sounded so sweet. When I got home I forgot about it. Then, a couple of years later I found a Ray Kane CD (Punahele) and loved it.

At some point my wife, Sheila, and I attended a house concert near our home. Sheila had been interested in the mountain dulcimer for a few years and there was this dulcimer player playing a number of funky old dulcimers at this house concert. Near the end of the concert he pulled out a guitar and began to play some beautiful Hawaiian slack key tunes (Punahele and others). If you haven't guessed it yet, the artist was our own Mark Nelson. We had been aware of his dulcimer prowess for years and Sheila had attended many of his dulcimer workshops.

I've owned guitars for many years and could play some flatpicked fiddle tunes. But mostly my guitars stayed in the closet. Hearing Mark play motivated me to get Keola's video and try it. Well, that was a flop. It was too advanced for me as I didn't fingerpick.

A year or so later a former co-worker of Sheila's gave us a CD of Doug & Sandy McMaster. After listening to it We HAD to go to Kaua`i. So, in summer 2000 we made a trip and arranged before leaving to meet with Doug and Sandy and to have Doug give me some pointers. I rented a baby Taylor from Doug and started to learn. I struggled for about 6 months to learn one of Doug's tunes (Ki Ho`alu Hanalei).

I've been playing now for about 2 years. It's getting so that I don't have time to go to work - I'm too busy with Slack key!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  5:12:43 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kaua e Kevin,

Not only do we remember that day and night at Waihe`e Beach Park, it is engraved in our memories.

Folks, the wise man, that Kevin is, takes his vacation just a bit north of his house: pitches the tent, builds the bonfire, has the cooler iced up, the keiki go into the surf and catch fish (or try :-), and basks in the tradewinds, listens to the surf, talks story, gathers arround the campfire and plays and sings ki ho`alu as the sun goes down over the West Maui Mountains. And then.... ONO GRINDS!

Kevin, my friend, we remember exactly when Sheldon arrived (with `uke, too) with pots of rice and the most ono stew of Portugese sausage, eggplant, spam, onions and lots of other lipsmacking stuff. Then, Ke Kumu put oysters on the hot campfire rocks until they opened and dropped a bit of shoyu on them and...slurp..tasty to da max. Then more playing and singing under mahina, listening to the waves, with the fire on our faces, under the palms and pines.

The only reason we left at all was that we were forced to be put on a plane to fly 5000 miles from where our hearts were left. Our pu`uwai were left with you.

That was a night of our dreams.

A hui hou ( I really hope),

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  5:51:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to remember exactly how I started. I picked up guitar at the turn of the millennium again after a very brief stint in the early 70's. I like nylon and classical music, and am an active member of the Acoustic Guitar magazine's discussion forums. Russell Letson and Fran Guidry posted some enthusiasms about slack key there, so did others, El Jefe added some, I explored it a bit on-line, and fell hard. This was around the end of '01, maybe.

I think the long samples Auntie Maria offers had a lot to do with it. No concerts, no trips to the islands, no TV, no actual CD's, just a few tab and CD samples was all it took. I ordered books and CD's and was on my way. Bruddah Chrispy found me from a post at mele.com and invited me to join the join the playing group. No, I haven't given up on classical, but I'm to the point now where I'm torn too many ways. I really should concentrate on one thing. Oh, and then there's the uke. Slack key is to blame for the uke, too.

I think I prefer listening to slack key more than classical, but that's a hard call. Right now I'm listening to lovely mp3's of a very talented amateur playing South American music and really enjoying it. Solo guitar is tough to make listenable, a lot of it is very uninteresting, virtuosic showing off, but most all slack key is lovely and works very well solo.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  6:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
my story is so close to the ones given above, i won't repeat it. i find it interesting that there are so many guitar players who, when they first heard slack key, thought "that's it! that's what i want to play!"

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Uuuuhhh... No, not because it sounds easy; we knew immediately that it (slack key) was not a simple thing. In fact, it has many of the features of baroque music - very complex. Theme and variation; ornamention; the basic underlying pattern, called "continuo" on top of which the melody is developed; *and* a mix of European and Polynesian sensibilities. Sarah once came back from her lab (where she had listened to the former Robert J. Lugubrious from Boston Public Radio)and said (after we had listened to many slack key masters): "Telemann is boring! We listen to slack key." (An irony is that Kona luthier James Goodall is a baroque flautist and his dog is named Telemann - we offered to exchange residences, but he did not take us up on it.)

Slack key is eternally inventive and various, yet assumes traditional forms. For us, that formality, coupled with the individuality of each performance, or interpretation, of a piece, is unique within an essentially European music form (Congregational hymns). Unlike jazz or blues, or rock, or whatever, which is not, at base, European - and certainly has no Polynesian component.

Ozzie is, perhaps, one of the basic exemplars of the unexpected variation on a basic form (following Sonny) when he changes, for instance, a parallel sixth run(either in G or C), simply by modifying a picking pattern or sequence, to create a sound nobody has ever heard before. We are blessed by having Oz send us tabs that he only has given out to some of his workshop attendees. If those of you who live in the Bay Area can possibly do it - sign up at Gryphon Strings. We would, except we are 2567 miles away.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  7:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Reid, thanks for the Congregational hymn reminder. I've briefly mused on why the harmonies are so western.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2002 :  06:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Raymond Kanes Story:(those who are interested)

As a youth,Raymond spent most of his time at the beach. He love to dive.(free style).

One day at the beach, he heard this music.
It sounded like a 3 or 4 piece band. As he
got closer, he noticed, there was only one
person, playing his guitar.

He asked the man what kine of music he was playing? he told Raymond it's ki ho'alu.
So Raymond said, can you teach me.

And the man exact words to Raymond was.
Bidet, scram, get outta hea,you not family.
The next day came, and Raymond approached
the man, knowing he loved to eat fish,Raymond
offered him a deal.

Just tell me the kine of fish you want to eat
and i'll catch them for you.In return,you teach me to play ki ho'alu. everything after that is history.

Several years ago my son and i had the opportunity to play with Raymond Kane in a slack key concert. And this was the story he would always tell us.

What a great man! he loved ki ho'alu and i know for sure that man who thought him, is smiling down upon Raymond today! Ki ho'alu lives on!!!

Aloha, a hui hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2002 :  11:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
Great topic!

I am a slack-key neophyte. Years ago I played classical guitar but put it aside for various reasons. I was actually on the verge of selling all my guitars to pursue other interests (Shamanic healing, yoga).

I was in the library last winter and saw a CD called "The Language of Dreams". Well, I was interested in dream-work, so I just checked it out figuring "what the hey". I also got the first Dancing Cat Masters CD.

When I heard Keola Beamer playing E Ku'u Morning Dew, I was transported to another world, and realized that with beautiful music like this I really do want to keep playing guitar. I wonder how many people Keola has touched in this way? Hmmmmm....

I am still amazed at how much more beauty and power Slack Key has when compared to most other music out there. It's not just the tunings, it's not just the songs - it's the tremendous Love that the great players bring to it. When I first played "Moe Uhane Kika" for my new girlfriend, all she could say was "There's so much Love in this music."

I only know a couple songs and some turnarounds, but I really love it and will continue to learn.

Chris

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2002 :  12:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,Chris,

Your girlfriend was right!(there is much love in this music.)Because, when you play slack key everything you play comes from the inside.

And it starts from the HEART that is why when people hear it for the first time,they can't help but to fall in love with this music.

Aloha, Kevin.

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000