Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Perfect Pitch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joeycastaneda
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  9:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever looked into or used the Perfect Pitch Ear Training course. http://www.eartraining.com/guitar.htm

Aloha,
Joey

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  01:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Joey,
Your post caught my attention because I play by ear using the "do re me fa sol" approach that my piano teacher taught me long time ago and I thought that maybe this new system is talking about the same thing. When you know by heart what the "do re me fa sol la ti do" sounds like and you can recognize the sound in any song or music, you got the basics of playing by ear. The next step is simply locating where Do Re me Fa sol is in your musical instrument, and this applies to any instrument. This is not as easy as it sounds. It took years, yes lots of years, before I can actually sing a song in Do Re Me Fa Sol. Having said that any concept that advertises an easy way to play by ear in so short a time is, in my opinion, another money-making venture. I tried to follow that web-site and all it is telling me is what I want to hear. However,nowhere did it show or mention what is the concept that I would be buying? Reminds me a lot about all those "get rich quick" emails and the countless infomercials on TV.

If you are into slack key style, you cannot go wrong with tablatures, tapes/videos, and private lessons with Slack Key teachers in your area. The rest is practice, practice, and practice.

ed

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  11:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Joey,
Don't know your skills or background. I come from a more traditional western approach to music -- learn from books with a teacher. Obviously this can be very challenging in slack key. Therefore, learning how to listen to a recording and figure out what the melody and chords are is very useful. Having gone that route, I strongly encourage you to pursue it. You have 2 options that I know of.
I used the "Perfect Pitch" course and found it very helpful. There are a couple of things you need to know. The course doesn't teach you by "magic" -- the excercises thake a lot of work. They do, however, help you to learn to listen/hear notes and build an "inner data bank" for comparisons. You also need to know that this course teaches single notes. It is followed by a second, much more expensive course, that teaches you how to hear relative chords. (eg major, minor, 7th, 13 th etc.) If you want to use this course to help you get a song off a CD, you need both skills. My advice is that these are good courses - but look for a used set, or buy with a friend, or 3 or 4. (Sorry, I already sold my set.) ------ HOWEVER, another alternative is the much shorter and cheaper course offered through Homespun. I think it is very useful and for the price it is a good deal. IF you actually do the excercises it teaches, you will progress quite far in being able to "hear" what "is being played"
-- This is a very valuable skill and will take hard work to develop, but I think it was worth it for me.
Good luch,
Raymond Stovich
San Jose, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000