Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 two of my favorite songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

According to the PTO the original title was indeed Morning Dew first registered in 1976.

But later in your post:
quote:

1. Registration Number: PA-119-318
Title: My morning dew / [music] by Eddie Kamae ; lyrics by Myrna
Kamae, Jay Larrin, and Eddie Kamae.
Imprint: Honolulu : Hawaii Sons, [c1976]

And according to Eddie Kamae & Hawaian Sons Music (per Mark) it was originally "E Ku'u Morning Dew" and copyright 1973. (BTW, you don't have to register a song in order to copyright it.) My money's on Eddie Kamae & Hawaiian Sons Music being historically accurate (of all people they should know) and an English translation being officially registered as the title 3 years later.

FWIW, Huapala.org agrees with Mark on copyright and title, as per Myrna Kamae:

http://www.huapala.org/E_Kuu_Morning_Dew.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 11/07/2006 10:40:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  08:01:38 AM  Show Profile
You are misreading the PTO info Craig,

1) The English lyrics with Jay Larrin were registered in 1981.

2) The text refers to the prior work being Morning Dew and Alone Once More in 1976.

3) Yes, you don't have to register to have a copyright, however when you do re-register (as Eddie, Jay an Myrna did in 1981) any prior work references would list the EARLIEST version (as Eddie did list as 1976). It would be exceedingly stupid not to register the earliest work in the prior art statement as that would represent registered evidence that there was no earlier prior work. (Same as in Patent registrations, of which I have about fifteen)

4) Mark did not say he directly talked to Eddie about this, but went through the Mel Bay rights organization.

5) However, I HAVE directly talked to Eddie (at length) about the title to this song and have access to a copy of the VERY RARE original sheet music to this song (of which Eddie told me that there were only 50 copies made, mostly to help establish copyright), and which Eddie autographed at the time I talked to him (Sons of Hawaii concert in Santa Cruz about 14 years ago). Title is just "Morning Dew".

6) You may also note that the earliest recordings of this song were in 1976 or later by Sons of Hawaii, Melveen Leed and the Brothers Cazimero. ALL THREE of these recordings above use the original title "Morning Dew". The "original title" by definition, is the one used on first release and Eddie (with Sons of Hawaii) used "Morning Dew" on their first release.

Obviously the song can NOW be called at least three different titles, and Eddie may have even used the title "E Ku'u Morning Dew" at one time or another (without registering). But all the existing evidence clearly shows that the original title was "Morning Dew".

(and I have my personal conversation with Eddie to confirm it)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/08/2006 08:48:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
6) You may also note that the earliest recordings of this song were in 1976 or later by Sons of Hawaii, Melveen Leed and the Brothers Cazimero. ALL THREE of these recordings above use the original title "Morning Dew".
I may have some of this data wrong, but to the best of my ability, knowledge and resources:

I think the first Cazimeros recording (1977's "Volume 1" - Music of Polynesia / reissued 1992 as part of "The First Two Albums" - Mountain Apple) had it listed as "E Ku`u Morning Dew," while their later album, "In Concert" (Music of Polynesia), listed it as "Morning Dew."

Melveen had three recordings of it issued on the Lehua label: "Melveen's Hawaiian Country Hits" & "The Hawaiian Country Girl" both call it "Morning Dew," while the compilation "Best of Melveen" adds "Aloha Once More" in parentheses.

Lastly, I thought "Eddie Kamae Presents Sons of Hawai`i" (on Hawai`i Sons) listed it as "E Ku`u Morning Dew," while the 1981 compilation "Best of..." (Hawai`i Sons) was just "Morning Dew;" so even Eddie Kamae's own releases may be inconsistent.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  10:15:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
[i] Then soupe de poisson avec aioli,une baguette et une bouteille de vin blanc de pays.

Only if the fish soup os very fresh (and depending on the kind of fish), but the bread and wine sure sounds good.

Of course, all the old paisanos have a tumbler of chianti in their hand, soome good, chewy ciabatta, and their fish would be bacccala. Bocce is a wonderful Sunday afternoon pastime for the tutu kanes.

Ciao,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  08:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro
Lastly, I thought "Eddie Kamae Presents Sons of Hawai`i" (on Hawai`i Sons) listed it as "E Ku`u Morning Dew," ...

I found someone who has the first album on vinyl, and it was only listed as "Morning Dew." My original resource was incorrect.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  08:19:07 AM  Show Profile
"Lazy is as Lazy Does"

Yes, Retro.. you made me go and check in the garage for our old vinyl.

The first Cazimero LP is titled "the Cazimero Brothers" and lists the song as just "Morning Dew". (the second Cazimero release was titled "the Cazimero Brothers Volume 2") You have also now confirmed for your self that the Sons of Hawaii first published as just "Morning Dew".

So just as I said above the first releases by Sons of Hawaii, Melveen Leed, and the Cazimero Brothers ALL listed the title as just "Morning Dew".

Also, on every occasion that I have seen Eddie Kamae live (the last time being just 3 or 4 years ago in Palo Alto), he has introduced the song as just "Morning Dew". He has been VERY consistent this way. He has copyrighted several other names to protect his interests, but it should be clear that his original title and probably his favorite title is "Morning Dew".

That is why when I refer to the song I try to honor Eddie and Larry by using their original title. It is just a matter of respect.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/13/2006 08:26:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

Yes, Retro.. you made me go and check in the garage for our old vinyl.
Then my work here is done! (Don't let that great vinyl rot away in storage, Lawrence.)
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  2:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
You keep your records in the garage??!!

Fire up that platter-driver, Lawrence. They still sound better 'n CDs.

"Back To Mono!"

(which is an obscure hint to Lawrence's earlier query about who recorded "Lazybones" back when."
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  1:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Yay! Something besides tab to heatedly discuss!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000