Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Templebar Aloha Sunday Luau Buffet & Open Mic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  7:12:27 PM  Show Profile
My 7-year old son and I just got back from Uncle Kem’s Templebar in Berkeley. Boy, what a great time. The place was packed, at least 80-90 people, no empty seats. Good thing we made reservations. Uncle Keoki Lindsey and friends were the host band and what a treat it was to hear the old-style singing, with beautiful ukulele, slack key and bass guitar accompaniment and pa’anis. Uncle Keoki was born at Parker Ranch and it’s not often you get to hear the authentic Big Island style. Uncle Ka'ala Carmack sat in with them too, and he also has a wonderful, traditional voice. In addition, several aunties came up to dance beautiful hula.

After playing for about an hour, the host band took a break to eat and then the open mic began. There were about 7-8 acts and because there were so many of us, we were limited to two songs each. My son and I performed and the crowd was so warm and full of aloha—they always make us feel welcome at the Templebar. Aunty Mary was so good in helping to get my son’s seat and microphone adjusted while I got my guitar plugged in and set up.

After the open mic, to my surprise, Uncle Keoki passed out a packet of music sheets to everyone in the audience and then his band got back up on stage. He said it was time for audience participation. For the next half hour or so, Uncle Keoki and the band led us through about a dozen songs, including some cool medleys, and told us to bring out our instruments, sing loud, and have a great time. There were many folks who brought their instruments, including a couple of senior-citizen ukulele groups, so there was music ringing throughout the restaurant. Everyone had smiles on their faces and we all had such a good time getting to learn from and sing with Uncle Keoki and the gang. I wish I had brought my tape recorder.

Anyhow, I want to encourage my fellow Bay Area Taropatchers to come out to the open mics and kanikapilas. A lot of the kupuna and the pros show up, and we get a rare and wonderful chance to listen and play along with them, hear stories about the old days, and have a true Hawaiian-style experience. Plus you get a chance to learn a lot of the old songs and all the ones you didn’t know that are in the Mele Aloha book. I often bring my boys with me so they can meet the kupunas and all of the other great folks, feel and share the aloha, and learn what ‘ohana really means. What a cool feeling to have so many new uncles and aunties!

So... hope to see you at next Sunday’s Cowtown Kanikapila in Vacaville and next Tuesday’s open mic in Santa Clara.

Aloha,

Doug
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000