Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 what would you recommend?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UkieYukYuk
Aloha

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:46:43 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking to buy my first taropatch ( I have a soprano and concert uke) but don't want to buy a laminate as I intend to keep it for a while. Is the Lanikai spruce top a good sounding instrument or what others would you recommend that would serve me for a number of years?
Thanks for your help

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  7:26:47 PM  Show Profile
Aloha UkieYukYuk,

I just noticed your post now, but am not sure what you mean by "taropatch". Do you mean a tenor or baritone size, as you already have a soprano and a concert?

If you're looking for an instrument that will last you many years, is beautiful in sound and lovely to look at, you can't go wrong with a Dennis Lake Po Mahina. We have several of his ukes, and his tenor is the one I always reach for first. It sounds great and stays in tune longer than the others. I've had it for years, and I'm so very happy with it.

Go to www.Pomahina.com and take a look at what he has.

I sound like a marketing/sales department for him, don't I?

Welcome to our TaroPatch Ohana, Julie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  05:56:28 AM  Show Profile
A Taropatch is a tenor `ukulele with 8 strings arranged in four courses of 2 each. Kamaka makes a nice one. See Bounty Music. It's the 800 model. I don't know if Dennis Lake makes one but I'm sure he could.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  3:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Bob Smalula at Smakula Fretted Instruments seems to routinely have a Taropatch for sale. Check out his web site and drop him an email.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  10:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Question: What are you doing with the taropatch? If you are a professional musician you need a good instrument. If you sing then it is a great instrument to accompany your vocals. But if you are a beginner or casual player, why get a fancy instrument? Why buy a Farrari when you only go 25 mph?
If you are a collector of fine instruments, please forgive my insensitivity. I'm a musician and hate to see instruments collect dust. I recommend Kamaka or Koaloha.

Akamai Okole ...making trouble again.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  2:32:18 PM  Show Profile
I second the KoAloha tenor - I have two.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000