Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ka'ala boys playlist at Princess Kaiulani
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  12:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
I'm playing some stuff with several friends of mine.
We're doing mostly old-time country and also some Latin stuff. (we're very eclectic - I sing in a barbershop quartet with the bass player). The group would be open to doing some Hawaiian things, too. The group is rhythm guitar, lead guitar(me) and a string bass. I can play ukulele also. So I was thinking about some Hawaiian stuff to add and I immediately thought of the Ka'ala Boys repertoire, which was ukulele, guitar and bass, which I heard and enjoyed nearly every evening when my wife and I stayed at the Princess Kaiulani hotel in Waikiki. The Boys were in the outdoor bar and we could hear them from our room. The problem is that I don't know what they played. Several of the songs were a little familiar to me (I even played along quietly on my travel guitar in the room) but I don't know any titles. I went downstairs to find out about buying a CD but I couldn't find them - they'd already left. So recently when the issue came up again, I looked at mele.com and saw the lists of songs on their albums, and I'll be buying their "Best of" album, but most of the songs are titled in English and I don't recognize any of them. I remember they sang some in English, some in Hawaiian. Any possiblity that someone knows how to contact them? Maybe they could tell me what their playlists may have included about a year ago. If my group can work up a few combo pieces (ukulele, guitar, bass), then I could play slack key in between. Just a thought. Any suggestions will be appreciated. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  07:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...are you sure it was the Ka`ala Boys? They've built their reputation on reggae...how nice it would be if they've gone Hawaiian!

They can be contacted through their myspace.com site:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=47931394

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  9:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
I've also seen the Ka`ala Boys perform poolside at the Sheraton Princess Kai`ulani several times throughout the years during which they've played traditional Hawaiian mele while accompanying 1 or 2 hula dancers. Not only did they play the traditional mele but they played it very well...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  11:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Auntie Maria: Thanks for the note - I'm pretty sure it was the Boys. I noticed that their "category" was reggae on mele.com but they were definitely doing more traditional at the Kaiulani, with two hula dancers when I saw them. The lead singer had a great falsetto sound in some numbers and they sang some in Hawaiian language. Luckily Artsap saw them too, so I guess I'm not going crazy. (not on that issue at least). I will try to contact them on the myspace location. I'm just trying to bring a little musical paradise to the Midwest. Thanks, all. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000