Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Another Thumb Question--Oz, 2 M.L tunes?!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  09:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Two of the "Kani Ki Ho Alu" songs on Ozzie's cd are in C Mauna Loa tuning...
Some of us have the #1 tracks tab..."Ku'u Kika Kahiko"
Now also, on the cd, #10 (Ki Ho 'Alu) the bass pattern uses the 3rd string as part of the Alt. Bass...
Both tunes have that pattern...
So the album specifically quotes Ozzie as using the thumb and a 3 finger r.h. roll, on ##10 Kani Ki Ho' Alu, but doesn't discuss that aspect for "Ku'u..."

I am assuming that Ku'u Kika...is likely the same approach...using the same alternating bass pattern so quintessential to the songs' hearts.

I was assimilating his stuff at camp as fast as this "pre-owned" brain can do...
but don't recall if he pointed out the thumb pattern...we covered a lot of his tunes that morning, so it was kinda a Reader's in- Digestion,--a hold on to your toupee morning!
The Ku'u tab is really accurate to the recording, which is nice....
While I don't have a tab for #10, they are SISTER tunes to me.

Thoughts?
Both tunes same approach?
It's a little tricky to accurately hit the 3rd string with the thumb...It helps when I DON'T PIMA, and keep the I, M on the 1st and 2nd strings...I begin to SLOWLY hit the right strings!
It's sorta similar to how I use the thumb on "Blackbird" for the double hit on the "g" drone... it's a ways further for the thumb to travel, but makes sense once you get it

One other observation on C Mauna Loa...
The 6ths on ADJACENT high strings (the characteristic "5th" interval) is SO VIOLIN LIKE--but a little easier to play in tune on guitar!
In violin studies, we do closed and open scales in 6ths, so it feels like home for me...
That is, If I wasn't having to fight "THUMB WARS!"

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 12/04/2006 10:34:02 AM

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
One other observation on C Mauna Loa...
The 6ths on ADJACENT high strings (the characteristic "5th" interval) is SO VIOLIN LIKE--but a little easier to play in tune on guitar!
In violin studies, we do closed and open scales in 6ths, so it feels like home for me...
That is, If I wasn't having to fight "THUMB WARS!"

Good observation. The C Maunaloa is in fact based upon the viol and mandolin tuning of the period. The interval of a fifth on the two highest pitched strings is what is what makes it so familiar to you. When you are looking at two note parallel movements that move vertically in either open and closed or closed and even positions -- those movements in old time Hawaiian and folk music usually translate to simple harmonies of sixths or thirds. However, in contemporary Hawaiian music, they can be used in more complex chord progressions beyond the usual I-IV-V7 combinations -- more often than not incorporating M7, m7, dim, dim7 combinations. It's just that you got to have someone else playing with you to fill out the rest of the complex chord if you're in maunaloa .

PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  9:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Peter.
Are you putting out any publications anytime soon, or are they already around?

Meanwhile, guess I'll crank up the old tape machine and accompany moi, until I rustle up some Colorado pickers to explore C Mauna Loa or any other tunings...
actually intend to get up to Ft. Collins for a uke session after school takes a break...there's a few of us Ka'au Boys in these here parts...
It's jus' us Colorado Ka'au Boys like solitude and open spaces...too bad they're disappearing...maybe we should put that ocean back in they took out a couple million years ago...
There's a great spot in the San Luis Valley... and then Colorado Springs couldn't steal the water... it'd be too salty.
Meanwhile, back at the topic..
guess my brain remains the same--betcha'll thought I'd lost my style.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 12/06/2006 04:30:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  07:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Hi,
Yes, I will be definitely be publishing in 2007. Final peer review is going on this break between fall and spring semesters.

PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

Thanks Peter.
Are you putting out any publications anytime soon, or are they already around?

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Peter,
I'd like to be added to your list for when you publish.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000