Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Hawaiian musicians wanted
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  5:33:55 PM  Show Profile
This event is wanting to add Hawaiian musicians to the lineup:

RedGorilla Music Fest in Austin, TX from March 14-17, 2007. Launched four years ago as the DreamScapers Artist Showcase, RedGorilla has grown each year under that name. This year, the event has a new name - RedGorilla Music Fest - and has also partnered with the International Songwriting Competition (ISC) to produce an event that promotes up-and-coming independent music in all genres and to help independent artists further their careers.

Approximately 150 artists will participate in shows in venues on 6th Street in Austin, Texas. It is an opportunity for artists to take advantage of all Austin has to offer in what is one of the most important music weeks of the year. It is the music industry's premier destination for the year, and thousands of fans and music industry professionals descend upon Austin to network and check out new talent at the various music festivals around town.

RedGorilla Music Fest is now accepting artist submissions. RedGorilla showcases will take place from Wednesday, March 14, to Saturday, March 17, in clubs on 6th Street, right in the heart of all the action. The event continues to be a "No Badge Required" event. It is free to attend and is open to the general public.

For more info:
http://www.redgorillamusic.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  11:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
FYI

I did call these folks and the bands being showcased are ROCK bands. According to "Jim" he has no idea if a Hawaiian musician or group would make it as they traditionally have not used "World" bands.

Could it be the Left Hand doesn't know what the Right Hand is doing here

Edited by - Ianui on 12/07/2006 11:16:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  12:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Interesting...especially since the guy in charge of the whole event, specifically emailed me and Keola Donaghy asking for our assistance in adding Hawaiian musicians to their lineup.

Then again, not all Hawaiian musicians play Hawaiian music...and mebbe that shoulda been stated up front?

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  1:03:12 PM  Show Profile
After speaking with him also, the impressions I got were 1)rock preferred and 2) they are looking for bands with an established reputation and the potential for big time cross over.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  3:25:33 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm... so what did they mean by:
quote:
up-and-coming independent music in all genres
?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  5:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Lawrence you might e-mail your contact and indicate that who ever is taking the phone calls in Nashville may have not gotten the word.

I can think or no greater nightmare than to be surrounded by a drinking crowd of youth that have come to Austin to be exposed to days and nights of shreeking high decibles levels of crashing Rock bands. Which I was told for the past 5 years this has been.

I was interested in taking my Hawaiian Reggae band www.islandmana.com but the person I spoke was steering me to the Folk Alliance Convention in Memphis.

Would appeciate the person putting this on giving us a little more info on what to expect.

Edited by - Ianui on 12/07/2006 6:00:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  6:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Howzit All, and Happy Holidays,

One thing you can expect is a non refundable entry fee for your efforts :) http://www.redgorillamusic.com/RedGorilla_EntryForm.pdf A while back I was contacted by some folks at U of H for a Katrina benefit they were putting on. I followed a punk band...it was good fun! But it was a lot smaller (and closer) then the Austin concert. Sometimes folks seem to have the best intentions, but you still end up being a square peg in a round hole. That said, don't forget, Hawaiian music is being recognized in places you might least expect it. At least somebody thought it would be a good idea, maika'i for them!

Ray
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000