Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NYC: HCF ‘Ohana Holiday Party 12/7/02
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  1:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hawai'i Cultural Foundation's ‘Ohana Holiday Party
Saturday, December 7, 2002 from 1 pm to 4 pm at:
American Indian Community House
404 Lafayette Street, 8th Floor Circle (South of Astor Place)
New York, New York

Suggested donation $10

Come join us as we celebrate this holiday season with ono pupus, live Hawaiian music, hula, caroling, silent auction, and a Hawaiian gifts, crafts and book sale (provided by Native Books) to help raise funds to support HCF’s effort to present Hawaiian culture in New York. (We accept CASH and CHECKS.)

We will be honoring our kupuna, Aunty Betty Makia and Kulani Purdy for their contribution to the New York Hawaiian community over past 50 years.

Contributions for the fundraiser of crafts, baked goods, items or services for a silent auction or potluck would be greatly appreciated. Please contact us at 212-966-3378 or email at hawaiiculturalfoundation @ hotmail.com.

Please RSVP 212-966-3378 or hawaiiculturalfoundation @ hotmail.com

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  02:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just a few words on the HCF `Ohana Holiday Party...

This was my first time attending the holiday party and from what I was told the largest turnout out to date. I estimate there were more than 200 people in attendance so the HCF may need to find a larger venue next year, although I think the honoring of Auntie Betty Makia and Kulani Purdy may have drawn an extra large crowd, some who traveled from out of town to attend.

I can't think of too many opportunities where you could get so much aloha, great food and entertainment (I'm biased... more on that in a bit) for $10. For the potluck, people brought all kinds of ono grinds including kalua pig, lomi lomi salmon, poi... even mochi imported fresh from Hawai`i.

I was honored to be part of the afternoon's entertainment. It was really Hawaiian style... not too much practice, just play. I played a 45 minute set with Jon Magnussen on vocals and guitar and upright bassist Kurt (who I met that day). Not error free (I'm speaking for myself), but we had a great time. Joined by HCF co-president, hula instructor Michelle Akina on vocals, we played about 10 songs for hula.

The hula was exceptional. With dedications to kupuna Auntie Betty and Kulani Purdy, dancers had tears in their eyes making their performances even more moving. Even the keikis did their part dancing E Ku`u Tutu. The festivities closed with Christmas carols, a bring the house down reading of T'was the Night Before Christmas (Hawaiian Style) and a visit by Santa Claus.

It was a long day. The organizers were there from 9am to 7pm but their efforts made for a very fun time. I'm sure I left a whole lot out, but if you're around I hope you can make it next year.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000