Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Best way to create Tab?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  6:44:06 PM  Show Profile
So, I have this friend see, and well, he has this problem...
He wants to tab and share, PD and maybe an original idea...
What is the best and EASIEST program to tab and transfer around?
He has regular tab PAPER...and also several hand written transcriptions in musical notation --again on paper...
Used to use Finale in the early days, but don't really look forward to going back there.
And used Taropatch and Various tunings...
So two questions actually...
#1 What program is da best?
#2 Do any of these accurately transfer concert pitched notation in Varied tunings...
I don't mind touching up some "misreads" by a program, but would like something that is versatile enough for say taropatch, maybe "C6 add 9" (c,g,c,,g, a, d) , Keola's C, or whatever tunings may pass F taropatch, open D, etc. etc. etc.?

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  7:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Tabledit is what I've been using for years. I used Finale prior to that but thought it was overkill and overpriced. Tabledit is $55 and available for Mac, Windows, and PocketPC/Windows Mobile. It will handle any tuning you want and can also assist in changing from one tuning to another.

I'm not sure what you mean by accurately transferring concert pitched notation in varied tunings.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/08/2006 7:28:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  03:30:22 AM  Show Profile
The other option is a freebie, kind of clunky, but widely used: PowerTab. Does essentially all the things Tabledit does, has libraries of tunings, you can addd your own, you can tab for an instrument with 6, 5, 4 strings, etc. (and uses your computer's sound card to play what you wrote in a tinny way). Dominator uses it too, I think, for `uke tab. Tons of PT tabbed songs on the web. Google for it. I have no opinion as to which is "better", but I think Tabledit is used by more pros (maybe :-0

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  10:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I tried them both and found Tabledit to be more flexible. YMMV. Other things to consider: PowerTab hasn't been updated in six years while Tabledit is still under active development. Tabledit also has all the features Reid mentioned for Powertab, has tons of tabs available on the web as well, and can also import ASCII tabs. It has a demo version you can download so you can do a comparison against PT if you want. The most important thing, when it comes down to it, is that the way the program works make sense to you. If you can't use it or the interface doesn't work for you then nothing else matters.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  8:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Interesting thread, and i begin to see the hidden glitches inherent in seemingly every item that comes out for computers; Craig, you mentioned in your last post "If you can't use it or the interface doesn't work for you then nothing else matters." What is an interface. Sounds like another piece of equipment one is assumed to have/own/need in order for the new thing you just bought to work.

Recently bought a mini camcorder. supposed to be able to download onto a computer. Did not come with a cord to connect, nor did the camera shop have on. Finally found one and bought it, nothing happens. Must be the interface i fogot to install!
I have two laptops (a G3 and G4 powerbook) at home, but can only get one to work on internet at a time. I have a router, and it allows me to use one computer at either of two spots, but not both computers in either spot! Someone told me i needed a wireless router. I got one. Then found out i needed an Airport card for each computer (some kind of interface, i guess). Got one for each. Both worked for 5 minutes, now neither does. I am not one happy old fart at this moment.
So, before i spring for Tabledit, tell me if it just works without ANYTHING OTHER THAN MY MAC AND TABLEDIT. Oh, and my feeble mind. If it takes any more than that, I'll stick to writing it out longhand and faxing it!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  9:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sorry Karl. Technically an interface is any hardware or software that facilitates information passing from one system to another. In most cases this refers to information passing between some combination of hardware and software but it can also refer to the user interface (the interface between the software and you), which is how I was using it. So Tabledit works just fine without anything other than your Mac and Tabledit!

With respect to your camcorder, if you purchased a Firewire cable then you should be able to connect the camera to your Mac and use iMovie to transfer the video to the computer. If you don't have iMovie then you need to purchase a copy of iLife, but before you do that I would make sure it's compatible with the G4. You may need to find an older version.

I can't help you on the Airport cards...too many things that could need tweaking. Your best bet is to find a local Mac fanatic if possible and have them look at it. Mac users usually love helping each other out.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  07:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Karl, since you a Mac user, I'd like to suggest Sibileus "G7". I've used all of the above. They all work, but I find G7 to be the easiest and the best. And it satisfies your criteria.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  5:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I found G7 to be easier than Finale and on par with Tabledit in terms of flexibility and functionality. It does have a slick interface for entering notes using a fretboard but you're eventually going to want the speed of entering notes using keyboard shortcuts. G7 is also $150 compared to $55 for Tabledit. Again, however, this is why it's worth spending a little time with the demo for each program to see which one you feel most comfortable with.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  7:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Thanks, guys. I will try the demos as suggested

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  3:24:13 PM  Show Profile
I have been using Tabledit for several years and find it very good. I "ditto" all of craig's comments although I have no experience with G7. I did delete PowerTab from my computer after a while.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  7:39:04 PM  Show Profile
When I graduated the 6th grade back in 92, Finale was in...
So if I return to writing large scores (orchestra and such), is Sibelius G7 the gold standard? And that's good for tab too? Hmmm,, good thing I have at least 2 friends at the North Pole.
Finale was not fun on in the early 90's on orchestra scores, especially when framing errors decimated your latest work...where was Lawrence when I needed him?
"Misreads" is what I've seen when a note has two or more possible fingerings on 2 or more strings, or a notes gets labeled with inappropriate enharmonic equivalents, especially likely when inputting via a midi keyboard...which I do rarely, slowly, and primitively.
I prefer proper spelling/notation appropriate to the key signature... for my brain to avoid it's own type of peculiar 'misreads'...it's ok of course, if you're Chopin, Schoenberg, or Schlitz-Machen (Strawberry Malt Liquor Forever)...
Anyway,
Tech-wise, I guess I better go back to larnin'...

Ramble-on
ye new e lads and lasses, I'll listen and hopefully absorb.
Fa la la la la...

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 12/11/2006 7:58:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  05:52:38 AM  Show Profile
Like cpatch said, G7 is around $150 , and is the lite, guitar version of Sibileus, which is around $400. I don't do orchestration, but I have friends that do and swear by Sibileus. One of the things that I really like about G7 is the scanning software that comes with it. I have been able to take songs from The Queen's songbook and other hawaiian scores, change the keys to fit Slack Key tunings, and come up with arrangements of my own. I then turn them into very nice looking TABed sheet music. The coolest thing of all is the note input via a guitar neck. I just look at my own fingering, the click those same notes on the virtual guitar neck. Fast and easy. I used to use Finale and Overture, but they were not as easy nor as elegant as G7. Jus my $0.02.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  08:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The scanning feature IS cool. If you're starting out with sheet music it would definitely make G7 more attractive.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:05:31 AM  Show Profile
Guys, G7 looks way cool. I have scanned the manual and got a bit confused about some of the neatest things. Maybe you can deobfuscate me.

They talk about Flexi-time and Step Time input. It seems as if Flexi is somehow MIDI based, but in both cases, they talk about playing your guitar into it. Is the *only* real kine input just MIDI? (which I don't have).

(Some program *should* have it darn it; Audition can tell which note is being played, why can't one of these programs?)

Also, one of the hardest parts of tabbing for me is setting the time value of each note - especially when Real Musicians (tm) use those subterfuges, like the ties to 2 notes, and the tab will only have one sustaining note. Can G7 help with this?

The fretboard thing looks terrific as an aid, but what about it choosing the optimum fingering?- For instance, in TP you can play a G on the 1st string 5th fret or 2nd string 8th fret. Can it choose "correctly" in some way - that is, sort of optimally depending on the other notes in the chord or preceding and following notes?

And G7 could work with my Layla, too, it seems. And my Wintel boxes.

How different is this really from TablEdit? Is it really worth the extra $100 (although I probably could get an Ed discount :-)

Oh yeah, Dawg. You mean scanner as in one of those devices that puts out a picture, right? How does it figure out notes from pixels? Is there some kinda character recognition, only for notes?

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 12/12/2006 11:08:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  06:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Reid,

Like any program, there's a bit of a learning curve and this one's no different, but I'll attempt to answer your guestions.

Yes, Flexi-time is a MIDI based input system. I never use it. I only use MIDI for playback to make sure my score makes sense.

I can't help you with note values and time, but lets say the last quarter note of a measure is held for a half-nore into the next measure, you would drag-highlight the two notes, then click the "tie" icon. When you play it back you would hear only one note sustained,

If you're using the fretboard (which is how I do it) for entry and you click the open string, then that's what shows up on the TAB. The hardest thing to remember is entering a chord (like thumb plus a note) or a single note. You have to bounce back and forth, but it's really quite logical.

I don't do Wintel, so I can't answer the question.

Yes, the scanner is an OCR process that recognizes the notes. Just like the ones that recognize scanned text, you can have some major artifacts, but once you get used to it, it's way cool.

Check out this simple score of one of my songs done with G7, Red

Dawg
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  10:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Dave. I guess the time value thing for each note just has to come with experience, but you answered my other questions just fine. I didn't mean to ask about wintel; that was more a pleasant comment, because they are cross-platform. Your score looks really nice, in lots of different ways.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000