Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Will somebody please record Sheldon Brown?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  11:06:04 AM  Show Profile
In another thread, both Mark and I suggested that, if anybody wanted to understand playing Slack Key on a `ukulele, that they should hear Sheldon Brown. But, it just flashed on me how lucky some of us are to be friends of the Browns and get to be with them fairly often. And I felt instantaneously selfish. Blessedly, Kevin, Ikaika and Ka`ena have gotten more general exposure in the last few years. But Sheldon hasn't really, and he has struggled with illness. Most here don't have that opportunity to be with him and, so, they don't know what a treasure he is. His slack key `uke playing last Feb., both before and after AMC, was wondrous to behold. I stopped even trying to hack my instrument and got up close to him and just watched and listened.

I don't know of any recording of him wailing away as he did then. The last thing I can remember is some moderately recent backups, and bass playing when they were the Wai`ehu Sons. So, if an official, studio type recording is not in the cards, could somebody get him to start smoking at Waihe`e and record him, with his permission of course, for a YouTube videeo or simply an MP3 on the web somewhere. The Zoom H4 would be perfect for this, even if the people who need to know about him couldn't see his moves.

He really ought to be recorded for posterity and for the enlightment of a lot of people who, otherwise, don't or can't know what we are talking about.

Feb. AMC is coming up soon, and maybe this could happen, please?

...Reid

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  10:06:25 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Reid 110%. I met Sheldon 2 years ago and was completely blown away by his playing. He's the REAL deal! And not only is he a killer player, but like his brother, Kevin, he's one of the nicest people I ever met (so is his lovely wife, Caroline). He sent me an email then complimenting me on my playing. I quickly printed it and and stuck in my case for inspiration. I know for sure that if someone could record Sheldon and Kevin (with their blessing), people would beat down the doors for a copy.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  9:44:52 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  04:41:41 AM  Show Profile
If somebody records Sheldon (it could easily be at the kanikapila at Waihe`e), especially before or after AMC in Feb. or any other time, I will create a web site for it. It could be Sheldon solo, or with Kevin and Jeri, or whatever. Unless Craig would want it on the SoundClick site (Craig deserves priority). I think we also have some jpgs of Sheldon we could put up, too.

If it is not done with a fancy digital device, it could be a tape. Lots of people bring these recorders to AMC, or George's Camp, or just on visits. I can digitize analog sources like casette tapes easily. But, somebody, try to do the best you can, please.

Understand, this is not for me; it is for all the people who never get there and, obviously, I would like Sheldon (and all the Browns) to be widely known. Always have.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 12/17/2006 05:16:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  07:58:09 AM  Show Profile
I am hoping that there will be kanikapila at Waihe`e both before and after AMC (Feb 3 and Feb 17). I have arranged my trip to be able to attend both. If Kevin and Sheldon are agreeable, I will be able to shoot several short (i.e., one song) videos with my digital camera (I will be limited by the number of memory cards I have - the digital cameras don't hold that much video time). I would be quite happy to transfer them to CD and send them to Reid (or whomever) for posting.

Boo
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  09:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Deb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly